Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

180-Deg. Thermostat. High-flow or Regular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 180-Deg. Thermostat. High-flow or Regular?

The weather is on the verge of getting nice enough to do some work on the Monte. My first "Mod" is going to be installing a 180-Degree Thermostat ... (and getting rid of Dex-Cool for Prestone).

What "Brand" Thermostat should I be looking for? I've seen them for 9-Bucks on up to 30-Bucks. I'm guessing with the Aluminum Heads I should be looking at a High-flow Thermostat ... huh?

Bear in mind ... during the Summer is when I'm going to have this Monte going down-the-road on trips from near Boston to Saratoga Springs, NY where we go to watch the Horses Run at the Racetrack. That's a 3-Hour run across the Mass Pike most likely with the Air on and the Billy Joel playing.

(And what's with the need to replace the Car-Tunes that come stock with the Monte ... My factory music-box don't sound all that bad. Sure the people following three cars back can't hear it like some of you guys are wired-up for ... but, it seems to be OK enough to get us doing Karaoke while the Cruise Control keep us in motion!)

Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Default RE: 180-Deg. Thermostat. High-flow or Regular?

I'd suggest getting on from ZZP or some name brand one like that, and if your in really hot weather in the summer i suggest getting a drilled one if thats what you mean by "high flow".

Mind though, i'd switch it back out for the winter though, cuz youll have barely little to no heat, lol

Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM

well, some of us dont like hearing I guess. as for the 180* I would also go with something like zzp's recommendation. It might be a bit more, but you have a good company backing your purchase!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Hi Rick,
I think `if you are going to keep your Monte Carlo stock,
(no internal engine mod's: )
I would go with a factory thermostat for the money.

I think high flows are a lot more expensive. ZZP has
been in the business a long time building high performance V-6
engines. They are more expensive 4-Sure : )

If your Monte has been running good, and not heating `up,
and your heater has been keeping you warm in your cold winters,
and cool during your summers, I'd save
the $'s, and go with a regular thermostat.

I don't know what degree's the factory fan relayskick `in,
but I would stay with the factory 180* `if it has been
working correctly, I would get the type you presently have.

Below is for member's reading your thread that may have
never installed a thermostat, and it's a refresher course for
me.

Good Luck on your Install,
I wish you moreSunny Days.

Replacing car thermostats
How to replace a car's thermostat.

Thermostats in cars are often neglected, if not totally forgotten, units. Yet they play an important role in the general performance of cars by restricting water flow until the engine has warmed-up.

Thermostats are heat sensitive valves that open and close. On cars they prevent ciculation of coolant to the radiator until the engine is warm enough. When the thermostat is closed water only flows through the water pump and water jacket to let the engine warm quickly. When the thermostat opens, water can then pass through the radiator for general cooling.

Having a car that warms quickly is particularly useful in cold weather when you want to use yo

Note from Admin: The rest of this post was lost due to a server problem in 2008.

Last edited by Taz; 01-24-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Repaired formatting errors from old forum
Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 PM

dunno about your '04... but the 06-07's have a 187* t-stat stock... so changing it to a 180* isn't gonna do one damn bit-a-good...

useless...

Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member

The book lists it as a 195-Degree Stat.
That's more heat than I want to have on it during the Summer months.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Pretty much any $10 180* stat will work.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member

I don't want the Water Pump output to interfere with the opening of the Thermostat. On a couple of sites, there was talk about the Water Pump being a High-Flow Pump that might cause the Thermostat to be forced closed.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM

i have never seen a thermostat open from the force of the water pump. but keep in mind that your car came stock with a 195 thermostat and your fans are set to come on at that temp and even with a 180 the fans dont come on til 195 so at a stop light the temp willclime to 195 cuz there is no air flowing through the radiator

Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member

What do you have to do to get the fans in the game? How or what gets changed to make the fans come-on earlier to keep things from getting too heated-up under the hood?

I suppose I shouldn't be worrying myself about this. The PO turned this car over to me running just fine with the Stock set-up in it. I'm just getting nervous about having that Dex-Cool in it, and the same Tranny Fluid that's not got 70,000+ Miles on it.

I want to do the right things to keep this car running young. All my dipstick pulls indicate that it isn't leaking or using any oil and the oil is staying pretty clear.
Maybe they fixed the gasket problem or the 04 LS was built with different gaskets that don't deteriorate.

Anybody know?

Quick Reply: 180-Deg. Thermostat. High-flow or Regular?