Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   07 SS ridding DOD (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/07-ss-ridding-dod-37651/)

77gp 07-10-2012 07:47 PM

07 SS ridding DOD

How is the best and cheapest way to get rid of this DOD system? Keep in mind I know nothing about tuners or what they really even are.:rotfl: I chatted with Sgt. Miller and he got a tuner but didn't think it supported the 07 model. That is really all I am after, but if they do more, that would be good too. So, all you pro's on here have any ideas for me? Speak in basics for me:) The reason I want to do this is I have new mufflers and they sound really good till the DOD kicks in and then it sounds like like SH!T. Thanks.

Leprechaun93 07-10-2012 07:53 PM

Im curious as to what it sounds like, i hear alot about how the car sounds good til dod kicks in. Make a vid:rotfl: As far as tuners and tuning goes i believe its a complicated process with alot to learn. Maybe get a canned tune for your car? Not sure if they make em for 7th gens or not

77gp 07-10-2012 08:05 PM

Keane, I have no idea what a canned tune is LOL. Also be kind of hard to make a vid and be able to hear it clearly while driving down the road.

monte carlo 3831 07-10-2012 08:12 PM

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

Try this site......:thumbsup:

zjerry 07-10-2012 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 77gp (Post 476653)
Keane, I have no idea what a canned tune is LOL. Also be kind of hard to make a vid and be able to hear it clearly while driving down the road.

LINK::: Overkill Motorsports ::

Leprechaun93 07-10-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 77gp (Post 476653)

^ what chris posted is essentially what all the guys here call a canned tune. A business like overkill will either re program your cars computer or send you a computer thats programmed. Canned meaning they're usually all the same and not custom made for your car. Take a look at the site and i think you'll like what you see.:thumbsup:

77gp 07-10-2012 08:26 PM

Thanks guys, I checked the site. Could be an option. If I get wifes car done soon, I could just send them my computer and save 50 bucks and a trip to relearn a sensor at dealer. Turn around time is only 2 days. Maybe I shouldn't be driving around in drive, should that just be used for highway driving? 3rd gear enough for around town?

Leprechaun93 07-10-2012 08:36 PM

I'd say so, in the 5th gens we have P R N OD D 2 1. "D" suposidly to be used going 40 or less so yea around town. in my car being in D prevents the torque converter from locking and ofcourse it stops it from going into over drive

bumpin96monte 07-10-2012 11:06 PM

The reason I want to do this is I have new mufflers and they sound really good till the DOD kicks in and then it sounds like like SH!T.
You want to get worse gas mileage on purpose, just for exhaust sound? I know what you mean by it sounding bad in DOD mode (I've got an electric cutout on my GXP)- but I just don't see it being worth the tradeoff in gas mileage unless it's just something you bring out for an occasional weekend cruise or something.

Maybe I shouldn't be driving around in drive, should that just be used for highway driving? 3rd gear enough for around town?
Same thing as above- just leave it in drive. Letting it get into OD and lock the converter gives lower RPM (less wear on the engine) and generally better gas mileage. I could see if you were doing a lot of passing at inner city speeds (say 35 or 40)- in a car with no power; but with all the low end torque of the LS4, you don't really need the extra rpm for normal driving.

monte carlo 3831 07-10-2012 11:12 PM

Chad, what about the issues with DOD? Most people these days think it's pretty useless and don't want it at all......

xxtheshockerxx 07-10-2012 11:37 PM

I have an overkill tune with dod delete. You lose about 1-2 mpg but is well worth it. DOD is so annoying.

I kept my computers too. I just had him send me new ones so i always have a backup of both.

if there is anything you want to know ask. I am sure i could answer whatever questions you have about the tunes

TheMonteMan 07-12-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 476700)
You want to get worse gas mileage on purpose, just for exhaust sound? I know what you mean by it sounding bad in DOD mode (I've got an electric cutout on my GXP)- but I just don't see it being worth the tradeoff in gas mileage unless it's just something you bring out for an occasional weekend cruise or something.

Same thing as above- just leave it in drive. Letting it get into OD and lock the converter gives lower RPM (less wear on the engine) and generally better gas mileage. I could see if you were doing a lot of passing at inner city speeds (say 35 or 40)- in a car with no power; but with all the low end torque of the LS4, you don't really need the extra rpm for normal driving.

quite a few people have reported a gain in mileage with dod off and the car tuned. i would be more concerned with the oil consumption issues dod causes than the way it makes the car sound. it does make the car sound like complete garbage though and was my main reason for tuning it out at the time.

i also dont know about this whole overdrive in the city deal. i dont really know how much fuel the op would save being in overdrive at 40 and under as opposed to being in third its not like the car has any gearing to it. with the 2.90s it has in it it seems silly to me to be in overdrive at all, but then again im used to driving 3spds with 3.70s-4.11s. i think the op should do a test of city driving with od vs no od and report his findings.

bumpin96monte 07-15-2012 01:19 PM

I have an overkill tune with dod delete. You lose about 1-2 mpg but is well worth it. DOD is so annoying.
2mpg over the life of the car is pretty expensive though. Just for calculation sake, we'll throw out some numbers- say you start at 20 mpg and drop to 18 mpg.

Over 200k miles- that's 10,000 gallons of fuel at 20 mpg, and 11,111 gallons at 18 mpg- for a difference of about 1,111 gallons over the life of the car.

Multiply that by say an average of $3.75 per gallon (although this will likely be low, since I'm sure gas will go back up well above this, especially over the next 10 years, even with inflation factored in)- and that's a COST of $4200, plus the hundred or two for the tune to shut it off.

That's a pretty significant cost for just having better sounding exhaust under certain driving conditions.

Now, I could see if it was just a weekend car or something, but as a DD- that cost really adds up, even for only 2 mpg. I'd imagine the cost would be higher to someone who does more highway driving, and less to someone who does more city driving- but it was still just an example to show the cost beyond just the initial tune.

quite a few people have reported a gain in mileage with dod off and the car tuned.
I've heard the claims too- even from people who didn't tune the car, and just got rid of DOD, and I honestly don't buy it. Just tuning the car alone can increase gas mileage, so why not leave DOD and just tune the car? Also, without very controlled conditions, it is hard to make an accurate assumptions about what the actual outcome is.

Only way I could see to definitively prove it would be maybe on a dyno or something where you could control virtually all of the conditions.

I can't see GM putting all the engineering time and extra costs into the cars if it had little to no affect on gas mileage.

i also dont know about this whole overdrive in the city deal. i dont really know how much fuel the op would save being in overdrive at 40 and under as opposed to being in third its not like the car has any gearing to it. with the 2.90s it has in it it seems silly to me to be in overdrive at all, but then again im used to driving 3spds with 3.70s-4.11s. i think the op should do a test of city driving with od vs no od and report his findings.
Same as above- GM puts tons of hours into engineering and testing, even for their shift maps. If it was more economical to stay in 3rd at lower speeds- then the shift map would just be set up to not shift into OD and lock the converter until say 45, or 50 or whatever.

They have very specific reasons and testing to back up why the map was set up the way it was- and if they could've eeked a couple more mpg out by leaving in a lower gear at certain speeds, I'm sure that's what they would've done to boost the city mpg number on the window sticker.

xxtheshockerxx 07-15-2012 11:25 PM

if i didnt drive the way i do I could get 22-23 mpg...and that would actually be a gain from stock but I dont haha

Crusader SS 07-16-2012 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by zjerry (Post 476655)

X2... I have Will"s tune and love it:thumbsup:... For the v8, just email him and he will give you the straight goods...:)

TheMonteMan 07-16-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 477913)
2mpg over the life of the car is pretty expensive though. Just for calculation sake, we'll throw out some numbers- say you start at 20 mpg and drop to 18 mpg.

Over 200k miles- that's 10,000 gallons of fuel at 20 mpg, and 11,111 gallons at 18 mpg- for a difference of about 1,111 gallons over the life of the car.

Multiply that by say an average of $3.75 per gallon (although this will likely be low, since I'm sure gas will go back up well above this, especially over the next 10 years, even with inflation factored in)- and that's a COST of $4200, plus the hundred or two for the tune to shut it off.

That's a pretty significant cost for just having better sounding exhaust under certain driving conditions.

well if you do the math its about 1.25 a day for that 10 years. if 1.25 breaks the bank perhaps the op shouldnt have bought a v8 car. people spend more than that on coffee every morning. i think that price over ten years is well worth it to be rid of the sound of dod. dont get me wrong if i were driving cross country id have it on, but day to day its really not necessary. its not such a huge difference in fuel price to bother me.

you can also have it tuned to engage at a higher speed/rpm that way it would only engage on the highway. best of both worlds. you keep the dod for fuel mileage and dont sound like a total tool bag cruising around town.

oh and there was a write up on how to run dod on a toggle switch. it was on ls1 tech. this would turn dod on and off at the push of a button. no need for a tune and youd still have dod for those long highway drives. i wouldnt try it unless i was certain of my wiring skills.

also i thought dod only engaged in 4th gear, 35mph and above, 1/4 peddle, or less? i could be wrong on that. most of the time during city driving your not really cruising around at 1/4 peddle especially street light to street light.

Tadcaster 07-16-2012 11:16 AM

LEW TUNE got rid of my DOD you need a tuner and get a hold of LEW here on the fourm

Mr Grizzly Mint 07-16-2012 11:56 AM

Any performace shop can tune that out. And they will give you a beter tune then tune in a can.

77gp 07-16-2012 02:21 PM

Thanks guys for all the input. Will get something done when the cash rolls in. I am not sure I have any performance shops around.

Mels SS 07-16-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster (Post 478209)
LEW TUNE got rid of my DOD you need a tuner and get a hold of LEW here on the fourm

Same here and love it. I hated when the car went into dod mode never again.
You purchased a car with a V8 in it so thats what I want. if I want a 4 banger I would have purchased a car with a 4 banger!!

MC_Sunset_SS 02-21-2022 08:10 PM

Love yer youtube channel broski...I do have a few questions and would love yer advice. Can I message you here or on yer youtube channel? Gracias

The_Maniac 02-22-2022 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MC_Sunset_SS (Post 728277)
Love yer youtube channel broski...I do have a few questions and would love yer advice. Can I message you here or on yer youtube channel? Gracias

Sadly this thread has been inactive for 20 years. A good chunk of the people who were part of it have not been on here in a while. But, I would recommend, send them a PM (as they should get an alert about a message and can log in to answer it).

2007mcSS 02-26-2022 09:27 AM

This thread is ancient but I got my DOD deleted when I got my dyno tune.

wht02monte 02-26-2022 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2007mcSS (Post 728312)
This thread is ancient but I got my DOD deleted when I got my dyno tune.

What kind of numbers did you get?

2007mcSS 02-26-2022 10:29 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...d64516af9c.png