Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   06 Supercharger (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/06-supercharger-16209/)

1FastMonteCarloLT 09-24-2009 10:58 PM

06 Supercharger

Ok, I know it's probably on here somewhere but i'm just not looking hard enough or I'm completely missing it...I'm trying to find a s/c for the 3500, does anyone know of any sites? I've been looking for the past or so now and have come across nothing. Too bad I couldn't use a 3800 one or else I'd go get it from a friend now. Thanks for your help

monte carlo 3831 09-24-2009 11:15 PM

nothing out yet???

1FastMonteCarloLT 09-24-2009 11:21 PM

Like I said Chris, unless I'm overlooking I haven't come across anything if you do though please share.:D

monte carlo 3831 09-24-2009 11:26 PM

cool man, just keep your monte as is and look for a 3.8 monte, i've been looking but just can't find the best deal yet!

ChibiBlackSheep 09-25-2009 07:50 AM

Wanting to supercharge the 3.5 is like wanting to supercharge the 3.1

They are made to be gas-sippers, and the aftermarket isn't good for them.

drewskie043 09-25-2009 12:37 PM

i know i'm biased but i don't see why it can't be supercharged... in the future that is. yes they are gas sippers but they put good power to the ground also, a little more than a stock NA 3.8 if i'm correct. imo if there was a better aftermarket out there for them i think it would be supported pretty well. i think it's only a matter of time before it gets better, not as good as the 3.8, but better than it is now.

ChibiBlackSheep 09-25-2009 01:51 PM

They they had a tiny bit more HP stock than the L36, but the L36 had more torque.

And we all know torque is what will win the race :P

drewskie043 09-25-2009 04:36 PM

but it just has a "tiny bit" more torque;) it would be close race i think.

back to the thread though, 1fastmontecarloLT, i also would love to see a supercharger for our engine. i have not come across one either because there simply isn't one available. hopefully that will change in the future:)

MAMONTE 09-25-2009 07:01 PM

I KNOW it would be a close race stock for stock. The 3.8L makes 11 ft lb of torque more than the 3.5L, the 3.5L makes 11 hp more than the 3.8L...call it a wash. The 3.5L revs higher, and holds the first gear shift longer than the 3.8L...so I honestly think that the 3.5L would take the 3.8L by a TINY bit. I would LOVE to see a STOCK FOR STOCK, MONTE FOR MONTE, 3.8L vs. 3.5L race...:D:D:D

I also wish the aftermarket for the 3.5L was better, and it might get a LITTLE better, but never to the extent of the 3.8L I don't think. Honestly, I doubt we will ever see a supercharger for the 3.5L either. In Chevy's mind, and most aftermarket supporters mind, if you wanted all that power, you would have bought the V8!

Mike is right, the 3.5L was made for fuel economy. BUT, that does not mean it does not lay down the power just like the 3.8L. In reality, the 3.5L, and 3.8L are very similar as far as power and fuel economy are concerned. (I think Mike just likes to ruffle the feathers of us 3.5L people! LOL! :rolleyes::D)

I like both engines, I think they are both great, engines with good longevity. The 3.8L has a proven track record for being reliable, and long running (minus the intake gasket crap) and the 3.5L is still pretty new, but with 82K on my odometer, I have NO doubt that the 3.5L will go all the distance the 3.8L will. Mine still runs like the day I bought it! ;)

If anyone finds new aftermarket for the 3.5L, please let us all know! :);)

monte carlo 3831 09-25-2009 07:26 PM

so, how much different is the 3.5 and the 3.9??? i haven't seen a side by side pic of them!! let me know anything. thanks

MAMONTE 09-25-2009 10:29 PM

3.5L makes 211 HP, 214 Ft LB Torque
3.9L Makes 242 HP, 245 Ft LB Torque

monte carlo 3831 09-25-2009 10:36 PM

so how do i get mine to 300 hp??? hmmmmm, probably no way for that!!

MAMONTE 09-25-2009 10:46 PM

Well unfortunately, like the 3.5L, there is a lack of aftermarket support for the 3.9L too...So I doubt you can get yours to 300HP since the mods just are not available....

monte carlo 3831 09-25-2009 10:51 PM

by the way, i did send a pm to the guy with the CAI with no response at all?? wtf

MAMONTE 09-25-2009 10:54 PM

WTF is right...hmmm must not want to sell it that bad! Oh well, save your pennies, and buy a new one! :)

1FastMonteCarloLT 09-26-2009 12:04 AM

Yea, I want to invest in one also, anyone selling one?

monte carlo 3831 09-26-2009 12:40 AM

what do you got a 3.5??

Enzo354 09-26-2009 02:18 AM

Just do an L67 Swap... lol

ChibiBlackSheep 09-26-2009 09:12 AM

Ruffle Feathers?! ME?!

That is so not the truth. ;)

The Popcorn King 09-26-2009 09:13 AM

Riiiiight....

Lol

MAMONTE 09-26-2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep (Post 164136)
Ruffle Feathers?! ME?!

That is so not the truth. ;)

Oh Geez, forgive me, what was I thinking! :D I must be thinking of someone else, Mike is just so innocent all the time! He would never do such a thing:rolleyes:! hahahaha;)

ChibiBlackSheep 09-26-2009 01:21 PM

http://school.discoveryeducation.com...es/angel4c.gif

MAMONTE 09-26-2009 02:38 PM

Angel my A**! LMAO! Leave it to you to make me laugh at the computer screen! :D

1FastMonteCarloLT 09-26-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831 (Post 164075)
what do you got a 3.5??

Yea Chris, a 3.5

sonin66 09-26-2009 05:56 PM

you can always do a custom turbo, but you could get another car for what it would cost. there wont be many if any aftermarket for us 3.9 unless they start putting them in more cars. the 3.5 i could see someone coming out with something because the 3.5 engine is still being made. WE 3.9's are another story

bumpin96monte 09-26-2009 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831 (Post 164031)
so how do i get mine to 300 hp??? hmmmmm, probably no way for that!!

Of course there is, there is always a way to get any engine to do just about anything you want (including putting a SC on a 3500).

My solution to doing a SC on a 3500 would be to put a CSC on it- the hardest part would be fabricating a solid mount for it (probably where the airbox is like on the 3800 kits), rigging up a jackshaft to transmit the power across the engine bay to it, then redo your belt routing to include an extra pulley. The rest from there would be cake- just tuning, new MAP, and routing the intake piping.

IMO, it would be easier and cheaper to turbo it. You'd only need a couple parts made, and they'd be fairly simple. You would just need a plate to blockoff the rear manifold's downpipe connection; then remove your crossover pipe and have that made to mount a turbo in the center- adding your wastegate plumbing to it- and then making a new downpipe from the turbo outlet back to your exhaust.

monte carlo 3831 09-27-2009 12:11 AM

bumpin96monte, how do you think of this, wow man! do you eat and sleep horsepower?? your crazy man, how do you have this all figured out? the work you've done on your monte is amazing man!! thanks for all your info!!

bumpin96monte 09-27-2009 10:59 AM

All you've got to do is look at the stuff available for the 3800 for inspiration. Obviously those parts won't bolt up- but there is no reason why you couldn't build the same setup, especially since its the same car, and pretty much the same phyiscal size engine.

kingreyna 09-27-2009 09:06 PM

I thought I read somewhere where someone turbocharded a Pontiac G6 3.9. It was only doable with the 6 speed I think. It was in the G6 performance forum site somewhere. So there could still be a chance for more power. Lets not forget a tune. The G6 3.9 is faster than Chevy 3.9 most likely from a better tune cause they weight about the same. I'm waiting for the first 3.5/9 to 5.3 swap myself. Im sure it's only a few years away.

mavrickf1613 10-01-2009 01:23 AM

For the 3.5

I would do the Mpd-inc (cold air inductions) Intake it would work if your air box is in similar location to the 3.9 engine.

A pcm tune would be a highley recommended thing

see our pcms don't know we have aftermarket exaust or intakes or anything new, when they get programmed you get the true power from these mods when your pcm is programmed correctly.

I am not kidding, I have a friend with a yukon he was doing 17's in the quarter mile, after a pro gm tech tuner tuned his pcm, he runs low 15' in the quarter mile no joke, I don't know the best difference with a v6 tune but it wont hurt, it will only help.

Best price and way to get to 300hp for a 3.5

is to do nitrous, A 50-75 shot would do nicely and not break the bank, also if you were to do nitrous get the pcm tune after the nos is installed.

I agree with a v8 swap with the ss motor, you can get 303 hp and with a pcm tune that be sweet, nitrous or turbo on this engine just be perfect,

For me I would do a ss motor v8 and swap my tranny out with the v8 ss one as well, and beef it up a little and do at least a 50hp shot of nitrous and pcm tune, I could get to 400hp with this and my other mods,

A ls1 or ls2 just be sweeter and even better, imagine a 350-500 hp engine with a corvette transplant and I would love to beat my buddies jeep srt8, Now that be a true sports car that could keep up with a hemi, stang and vette. yea buddy!

Frosty LS1 10-01-2009 04:11 AM

Well Mike, it just so happens I have a stock 3.8L Monte Carlo, and one night I pulled up to a stoplight and sitting next to me was a 3.5L Impala. He wanted to go, so I obliged, when the light turned green we both stomped on it, both of our cars squealed and lurched forward. I'm not sure if he was slow on reaction time or what, but I seemed to have gotten the jump on him, and I stayed about 5-10 feet ahead of him all the way to 90MPH when we finally let up, since it was a 35MPH zone. I've gotta say, you're right about the engine revving higher, I had the windows down too and I could hear that engine straining all the way up to close to 6,000RPM, kinda loud for a V6 when it's at WOT in stock form. I know the 2007 Impala (which is what I think he had) outweighs my car by about 200-300 lbs, but I had a passenger with me that night too, so the weights were about equal. So from my personal experience, stock vs stock, the 3.8 and 3.5 are pretty evenly matched, although the torque, weight difference, and gearing gives the 3.8 a slight edge I believe. Just thought you'd like to know. xD

Frosty LS1 10-01-2009 04:14 AM

I'm no mechanical expert, but I've seen the engine bay for the 3.5 Monte and the 3.8, everything seems to be in the exact same place. I'm sure if you wanted to dump enough money in you could drop a 3.8 L67 engine in, you'd only gain 30HP, but 70lbs of torque. But as BumpinMonte96 suggests, you could do a turbo, that'd get you more gains than a supercharger anyway, then you could show that Mustang GT that was messing with you who's boss!

1FastMonteCarloLT 10-01-2009 08:28 PM

Haha, good one

monte07 10-29-2009 02:56 PM

ill love to find a shop that can hook up the two turbos that i have that i have setting off to the side from my svo and turbo checken tbird. both are the same size rurbos but i will love to find a shop that is crazy enough to make me two turbo headers or a hook up for them on the piping to use them. pluse a tune for the pcm i will be so freaken happy:)

alabamamonte 11-08-2009 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS (Post 165460)
Well Mike, it just so happens I have a stock 3.8L Monte Carlo, and one night I pulled up to a stoplight and sitting next to me was a 3.5L Impala. He wanted to go, so I obliged, when the light turned green we both stomped on it, both of our cars squealed and lurched forward. I'm not sure if he was slow on reaction time or what, but I seemed to have gotten the jump on him, and I stayed about 5-10 feet ahead of him all the way to 90MPH when we finally let up, since it was a 35MPH zone. I've gotta say, you're right about the engine revving higher, I had the windows down too and I could hear that engine straining all the way up to close to 6,000RPM, kinda loud for a V6 when it's at WOT in stock form. I know the 2007 Impala (which is what I think he had) outweighs my car by about 200-300 lbs, but I had a passenger with me that night too, so the weights were about equal. So from my personal experience, stock vs stock, the 3.8 and 3.5 are pretty evenly matched, although the torque, weight difference, and gearing gives the 3.8 a slight edge I believe. Just thought you'd like to know. xD

I rarely log in but im on here alot.. Anyways that sounds kinda weak lol JK. But seriously the reason why I way that is this...

About a month after i got my 3.5 monte my buddies mom got an impala ltz so of course being young and dumb we gotta run them. My car was bone stock(Stock intake, factory single exit exhaust, etc) except I had the k&N Drop in filter.

His Mom's impala was stock too (3.9, factory dual exit exhaust, 18s, etc)

Anyways we ran them from a dead stop. He got a better jump then i did but i was able to eat it back up and stay a half length ahead all the way to 100.

We did it again and both of us started at the same time and I had him by 3/4's of a length to 90 (my radar went off lol).

At the time i thought we both had the same motor (pre mcf days :) but as it turns out she does in fact have the 3.9. Before you ask yes i have seen the 3.9 in it.

Now the only thing I can say for my car is that it was broken into really hard. I got it with 30 miles on it and I dogged it the first 500 miles. Seriously i got a pic of the speedo reading 110 with 74 miles on the odometer. Its got 50,000 on it now and no probs yet other than a couple sets of warped rotors.

ANd before anyone asks why i dogged it the first 500.. My dad was a cop in auburn, al for a long time. and when they got new cars in (they werent theirs so why not. lol) they dogged them and they could always tell which ones had been dogged at break in and which ones werent because the dogged ones were a lil bit faster.

Now i know ill get scowled for this post by people who know more than me but just my two cents..

MAMONTE 11-09-2009 08:35 AM

I recently drove an Impala 3.5L last weekend when my friend bought one. There is no way in hell that car could keep up with my Monte. I was actually surpirsed. I figured it would feel identical to my car as far as acceleration goes...totally NOT the case. My car would take it no questions asked.

Yes, you are supposed to break them in easy...but all the new cars come pre-broken in from the factory.

I myself hit the speed limiter in my car on the way home from the dealer after buying my car. There was 93 miles on mine when I hit the speed limiter. And then it was redlined about 6 times that night as everyone I trust got to take it for a spin. LOL. After that I took it easy for the rest of the first 1,000 miles. But in all honesty, I drive my car hard all the time. But I am very good about maintaining it, and nake sure to drive it really easy when it is not fully warmed up. Once its warmed up, all bets are off! LOL!

alabamamonte 11-09-2009 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=MAMONTE;175654]I recently drove an Impala 3.5L last weekend when my friend bought one. There is no way in hell that car could keep up with my Monte. I was actually surpirsed. I figured it would feel identical to my car as far as acceleration goes...totally NOT the case. My car would take it no questions asked.

QUOTE]

Exactly. Also I know this is a little bit different but my buddy dated a girl who had an 07 4 door pontiac g6 with the gm 3.5. And i raced it. Funny thing is that the g6 lists at 220 hp so i was kinda worried. lol. Her car was stock but on the pontiacs with the 3.5 the throttle body is still on the drivers side of the car like ours but the intake makes a u'turn right out of the tb and the air box and all is actually behind the passenger side headlight.

Anyways this was like 6 months ago so my car had magnaflow bolt on exhaust, cai, headers wrapped, rubber motor mounts rotated, 93 octane gas, and bf goddrich g-force super sport tires. My tires and hers were at 30 psi all the way around.

My buddy drove her car and I drove mine and needless to say it wasn't even close. Like seriously I had the g6 off the line and continued puting ground on it all the way to 110.

My buddy and I joke around saying that he lost sight of me lol. Idk if the 3.5 impala and 3.5 g6 are comparable or not but they should be pretty close and it would seem as if the g6 should be faster having 220 hp and all.

MAMONTE 11-09-2009 10:24 PM

Hmmm...

Well the Impala 3.5L is IDENTICAL to our 3.5L, infact the Impala in general is pretty much a 4-door version of our cars...only thing I can think of is that the Impala weighs more than our Monte's. Plus, maybe I just don't remember my Monte before the CAI and Exhaust...but I don't remember it ever feeling like the Impala did (as far as acceleration)

Now the G6 thing, I thought the G6 3.5L made 201HP? Unless they changed it in later years...??? I know the G6 3.5L does not use VVT like our 3500, also, I know the G6 3.5L is mated to the 4T45-E tranny, maybe they gear them differently than our cars. IDK. But I can tell you that I 100% believe that you beat the G6, because I had a 2009 G6 rental for a day while my car was at the dealer. Believe me, I beat on that thing all day long, and it was NOT as quick as my Monte, especially for highway passes. Off the line it did not feel that much different than our cars (at least to me it didnt) but on the highway, it could not even come close to compairing to my Monte...It favored grabbing 3rd gear for highway passes, and my Monte favors grabbing 2nd gear for highway passes! :)

mopowr 11-23-2009 08:59 PM

monte vs impala

I think that the 3.9 in the impala is only 230 horse. I can tell you right now that my 3.9 tromps the 08 3.5 impala. I have driven the 3.5 and it definately would not keep up. I will run my 3.9 at the track soon as it opens next year. I agree the ls4 swap would be the way to go but i still wanna turbo my 3.9 and anyone else who wants one ;) The monte 3.9 is the most powerful version of the 3.9 not by much but it is. I still gotta get my dynojet graph on here the power is so flat its awesome.

MAMONTE 11-24-2009 09:37 AM

The 06 Impala 3.9L is the same as the Monte 3.9L. Then in 07 the 3.9L dropped in horse power to 233 HP because they added Active fuel management to it.

I would expect that your 3.9L could take on any car with the 3.5L, it simply makes more HP, and torque. :)