Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   * Chevrolet Performance 3.8L 231 C.I.D. Remanufactured * (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/%2A-chevrolet-performance-3-8l-231-c-i-d-remanufactured-%2A-56247/)

BeachBumMike 05-14-2016 11:14 AM

* Chevrolet Performance 3.8L 231 C.I.D. Remanufactured *

http://www.summitracing.com/images/logo-sre.gif

Chevrolet Performance 19168948 - Chevrolet Performance 3.8L 231 C.I.D. Remanufactured Engine Assemblies

Engine Assembly, Crate Engine, Chevy, V6, 3.8L, 231, RPO Code L26 or L36, Each
(1)
Part Number: NAL-19168948 More Detail...
Estimated Ship Date: 5/20/2016 (if ordered today)

$2,159.97

Chevrolet Performance 89017861 - Chevrolet Performance 3.8L 231 C.I.D. Engine Assemblies

Engine Assembly, New, Crate Engine, Chevy, V6, 3.8L, 231, RPO Code L26 or L36, Each
Not Yet Reviewed
Part Number: NAL-89017861 More Detail...
Estimated Ship Date: 6/15/2016 (if ordered today)

$2,209.97

3.8L/231 Crate Engines - V6 Engine Type - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

MCF Member's, Please post your Engine Sources...Thanks
* Decent Vid's & Infor on above links

BeachBumMike 05-14-2016 11:17 AM

>>>>jegs<<<<<

to see all of our GM Crate Engines - Jegs < Click

www.jegs.com/s/gm_engines/gmengines_freeshipping.html

... MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping. ... GM Goodwrench 1996-2000 5.7L 350ci/255HP Truck Engine. 5.7L 350ci ...

BeachBumMike 05-14-2016 12:33 PM

Bonus3 800 V6 Engine Sensor Locations

:rolleyes: Click

BeachBumMike 05-14-2016 12:48 PM

BeachBumMike 05-15-2016 07:59 AM

GM engines, Rebuilt and remanufactured GM performance engine

www.rebuiltenginestore.com/manufacturer/gm_engines.html

Remanufactured GM Engines, hg. Description about: ... GM ENGINES 230 CID,3.8 L, L6, --, 230, 3.8. GM ENGINES 231 CID,3.8 L, V6, --, 231, 3.8. GM ENGINES .

bumpin96monte 05-15-2016 08:50 AM

IMO junkyard/craigslist is the way to go, especially for an l36. There were tons and tons made, so they're a dime a dozen. It is getting harder to find one with really low miles, but there are plenty to look through to find one in the condition you want.

BeachBumMike 05-15-2016 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 689456)
IMO junkyard/craigslist is the way to go, especially for an l36. There were tons and tons made, so they're a dime a dozen. It is getting harder to find one with really low miles, but there are plenty to look through to find one in the condition you want.

:rolleyes:
Yes `Chad, if you have the talent to rebuild yourself + the tools, etc.

I agree that `if you just need a running engine the salvage yards & places like craigslist is the way to `go.

3.8L GM - Wikipedia calls it "one of the most-produced engines in history," with more than 25 million having rolled off the assembly line.
:rolleyes: There's one for everyone :eek: :rotfl:
Slow Good-bye to GM's 3.8-Liter V-6

BeachBumMike 05-15-2016 09:49 AM

Below links on Thread Topic

www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/08/29/aa.auto.repair/index.html?_s...

Aug 29, 2008 - You're faced with a major auto repair such as an engine, ... Your service provider asks you, "Do you want rebuilt, remanufactured, or used parts? ... the standard for OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) tolerances, durability, and quality. ... When selecting a salvage yard from which to purchase used auto ...

www.superchevy.com › Vette › How To › Additional Tech

Jan 16, 2015 - If new, the parts should be made in the same production processes as original ... On aremanufactured engine the mechanical tolerances should be ... When selecting a salvage yard from which to purchase a used auto part, ...

How to Find a Good Used Engine: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

bumpin96monte 05-15-2016 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike (Post 689458)
Yes `Chad, if you have the talent to rebuild yourself + the tools, etc.

I agree that `if you just need a running engine the salvage yards & places like craigslist is the way to `go.

You don't even need the tools to rebuild it, just buy one and drop it in as is. I could understand buying a built engine on some platforms, but it just doesn't make financial sense on the 3800. The core engine is well known for going 200k+ miles and has been pushed to sub 10 second 1/4 mile times as long as the engine isn't knocking.

It doesn't help either with the prices of those engines, $2200 will buy you a running, driving 3800 vehicle nowadays. Being that they're all over junkyards, I bet you could buy at least 4 junkyard engines for the price of one crate motor. Certainly you might get 1 abused dud that doesn't last long but the chances of getting even 2 or 3 in a row is virtually 0.

The 5.3 "LS" engines are getting to be the same way nowadays too.

BeachBumMike 05-15-2016 07:11 PM

The Pro's & the Novice

:rolleyes: Hi `Chad, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this topic & I sure don't have the mechanical knowledge or talents you posses from knowing & building engines.

I know the basic's & my thoughts or posts on getting a remanufactured or crate engine was addressed to those that were keeping their Monte's 4-ever & not just for basic transportation. Yes, I'd buy a used junk yard engine for a daily driver for lesser price, but if I loved my Monte Carlo & wanted to keep it for a long period & have it be the best that it could `be, I would desire a fresh engine +.

* If I had a beater Monte, I get a used one
** If I had a Monte in great shape & wanted to keep it forever or a long time, I'd want a fresh engine.

I'm just thankful that we have choices in life...Yes, some are more expensive then others 4-Sure. I believe that you get what you pay for most of the time.

I don't mind paying the pro's to do the work on my vehicles, if they are professional... I've learned to do my homework before I sign a contract with anyone...

Thanks again for your post & sharing your knowledge/information & opinions... I respect them!
Peace/Out