Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): **Car Won’t Shift Into Gear**

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:43 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default **Car Won’t Shift Into Gear**

Recently was heading onto the freeway and right as I got on the freeway my car just stopped accelerating to the point where I had to pull over and get it towed. There’s no smoke, had a transmission flush around November or so, any suggestions on what the problem may be. It won’t shift into gear at all, starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear, thanks!!

Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by Gproducktionz614
Recently was heading onto the freeway and right as I got on the freeway my car just stopped accelerating to the point where I had to pull over and get it towed. There’s no smoke, had a transmission flush around November or so, any suggestions on what the problem may be. It won’t shift into gear at all, starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear, thanks!!
Well I was just at the Chevy Dealer yesterday and someone was having Transmission issues, I overheard the problem was a Transmission Flush the customer had done at another Garage. the Tech indicated the car needed to have the filter change as well as the fluid. Not sure how that would apply here.
I have had it done as a complete change as well as a flush. So far so good. Some of these rides have a sealed Transmission you can't even check the fluid level.
In the case of the flush I believe the garage who flushed it didn't get enough fluid back into the Transmission and it was ran to long on low fluid.

Something to check

Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

What you may want to check is if it starts and runs but won't go it could also be a Catalectic Converter plugged up.
Check the Trans Fluid level while running in Park. If the level is up you would probably be Okay.
starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear ** can you explain this in more detail?
1. As it sits in the driveway running and won't shift out of Park into gear?
Or 2. it is while moving down the Hwy?

Old 04-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the fluid level... If it's normal, you may need a transmission...

Old 04-26-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
The thing that bugs me about how that ad is worded is that they try to spin it that changing the fluid will help in the case of overheating. I dont disagree that overheating is a common cause of trans failure, but a fluid swap will often not permanently solve issues on an already damaged trans nor will it stop the overheating from reoccurring.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:29 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
What you may want to check is if it starts and runs but won't go it could also be a Catalectic Converter plugged up.
Check the Trans Fluid level while running in Park. If the level is up you would probably be Okay.
starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear ** can you explain this in more detail?
1. As it sits in the driveway running and won't shift out of Park into gear?
Or 2. it is while moving down the Hwy?
Like when I start it, it comes on and engine turns over but won’t shift out of park in to gear. It’ll rev but won’t shift into gear!!

Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Like when I start it, it comes on and engine turns over but won’t shift out of park in to gear. It’ll rev but won’t shift into gear!!
As nitehawk asked, have you confirmed proper fluid level?

If so, the only 2 other easy things I can think of:
-check the range selector on the trans and make sure its actually moving (ie something isnt broken or bound up)
-has the trans fluid ever been changed? If so, its remotely possible the filter wasn't reinstalled right and fell off (so there's zero fluid being pumped around)

If none of that is it, I'd think it's new trans time also. There isnt much you can fix externally.