Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): **Car Won’t Shift Into Gear** (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/%2A%2Acar-won%92t-shift-into-gear%2A%2A-60744/)

Gproducktionz614 04-26-2019 03:43 AM

**Car Won’t Shift Into Gear**

Recently was heading onto the freeway and right as I got on the freeway my car just stopped accelerating to the point where I had to pull over and get it towed. There’s no smoke, had a transmission flush around November or so, any suggestions on what the problem may be. It won’t shift into gear at all, starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear, thanks!!

drivernumber3 04-26-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gproducktionz614 (Post 717223)
Recently was heading onto the freeway and right as I got on the freeway my car just stopped accelerating to the point where I had to pull over and get it towed. There’s no smoke, had a transmission flush around November or so, any suggestions on what the problem may be. It won’t shift into gear at all, starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear, thanks!!

Well I was just at the Chevy Dealer yesterday and someone was having Transmission issues, I overheard the problem was a Transmission Flush the customer had done at another Garage. the Tech indicated the car needed to have the filter change as well as the fluid. Not sure how that would apply here.
I have had it done as a complete change as well as a flush. So far so good. Some of these rides have a sealed Transmission you can't even check the fluid level.
In the case of the flush I believe the garage who flushed it didn't get enough fluid back into the Transmission and it was ran to long on low fluid.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...312755d0cd.jpg
Something to check

drivernumber3 04-26-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gproducktionz614 (Post 717223)

What you may want to check is if it starts and runs but won't go it could also be a Catalectic Converter plugged up.
Check the Trans Fluid level while running in Park. If the level is up you would probably be Okay.
starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear ** can you explain this in more detail?
1. As it sits in the driveway running and won't shift out of Park into gear?
Or 2. it is while moving down the Hwy?

nitehawkjcb 04-26-2019 01:07 PM

Check the fluid level... If it's normal, you may need a transmission...

bumpin96monte 04-26-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 717225)

The thing that bugs me about how that ad is worded is that they try to spin it that changing the fluid will help in the case of overheating. I dont disagree that overheating is a common cause of trans failure, but a fluid swap will often not permanently solve issues on an already damaged trans nor will it stop the overheating from reoccurring.

Gproducktionz614 04-26-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 717226)
What you may want to check is if it starts and runs but won't go it could also be a Catalectic Converter plugged up.
Check the Trans Fluid level while running in Park. If the level is up you would probably be Okay.
starts and operates as normal but will not go into gear ** can you explain this in more detail?
1. As it sits in the driveway running and won't shift out of Park into gear?
Or 2. it is while moving down the Hwy?

Like when I start it, it comes on and engine turns over but won’t shift out of park in to gear. It’ll rev but won’t shift into gear!!

bumpin96monte 04-26-2019 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gproducktionz614 (Post 717234)
Like when I start it, it comes on and engine turns over but won’t shift out of park in to gear. It’ll rev but won’t shift into gear!!

As nitehawk asked, have you confirmed proper fluid level?

If so, the only 2 other easy things I can think of:
-check the range selector on the trans and make sure its actually moving (ie something isnt broken or bound up)
-has the trans fluid ever been changed? If so, its remotely possible the filter wasn't reinstalled right and fell off (so there's zero fluid being pumped around)

If none of that is it, I'd think it's new trans time also. There isnt much you can fix externally.