Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Your Montes Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Your Montes Paint

For those of you who let your Monte set outside or drive it daily you may want to consider buying a clay bar kit and doing the paint on your car?

I did the paint on my g/f's new (to her) '03 SS and it feels like glass now. Before you could tell it had impurities in the paint just by rubbing your hand over top and listening.

Now if you rub your hand over the paint, you hear nothing.

The car shines almost as good as my '06 LTZ (which sets inside under a car cover 99% of the time) does.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Default RE: Your Montes Paint

yes claybar ftw. best 20 bucks you could ever spend on your car

Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM

ya really want to make it feel and look good?

get some high temp wax and rubbing compound and go after it with a buffer and app. pad.

it will bring the shine back out on it and also make it protected from the sunetc...

I do this at least twice a year with mine and it is drove daily and also parked in a really nasty dusty parking lot daily for at least 12-14 hours a day.

and out in the rain etc.. when ya think of what our cars go threw in a daily drive back and forth to work and home you could almost bring tears to your eyes.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 PM

I have a question regarding clay bars - a friend of mine told me that they are no good because if you do it wrong, you can mess up your paint. I was in my local Canadian Tire store a while ago looking at a clay bar kit, and it looks pretty straight forward - spray, rub, and remove. Has anyone had any trouble with a clay bar kit?? From the sounds of the previous post, I should be running down to the store and getting one of these things.
I also have another question that is somewhat related - sorry to change the topic a little on your post rj - but has anyone tried Eagle One Nanowax? It claims to use nanotechnology to remove scratches and swirls. Just wanted to know if there was any truth to that. Does the clay bar even out the paint, or remove scratches as well, or does it just remove contaminants?
Sorry, I know this was a long winded reply/question.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:26 PM

yes it is ok to use the clay bar. but make sur eya follow the steps and the destructions.
Also. it takes the decontaminates off the paint. and to a point it will possibaly level some but i dont think it is as much as buffing will.
But you can defently tell the diffrence on a section before and after your use it. it is well wortht he 20.00 $$ to use it on the paint.
i know it will take off sap real well also.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Clay bars are a piece of cake to use... but...four points you want to make sure of:

wash the car first
use lots of lube for the clay.. I use the meguiars detailing spray
let it slide across the paint.. no pressure to the bar
after a couple of passes, dry the clay on a microfiber cloth, knead the clay to expose new surfaces and continue on the car

if you leave the clay wet too long, it will disintegrate on you.. and you don't need the full bar... take the bar out of the bag and maybe, split it in two. Store the other half for later in a ziplock bag or something like that.
Once you're done claying, use the detailing spray to clean up the car again if you're not going to wash it afterwards.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM
rj
15 Year Member

The kit suggests you use their cleaner wax after clay barring the paint. Since this little bottle wasn't enough to do a Monte Carlo, I bought a larger bottle.

I would like to use a polish on the paint to remove the lighter scratch marks like mickey suggested. The claybar won't touch most of them but it's not designed to this anyways.

The guy at thebody shop I use said "My ruleis if you run your fingernail across the scratch and your nail snags the scratch, then it's too deep and other measuresneed to be taken."(like stripping the clear coat and possibly the base coat and starting over)

The car had swirls in the paint on the pass side when we got it. I removed most of them with the help of the clay bar and wax.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM

I like the mequirs clay bar . I use the clay followed by the # 7 show car glaze and then the # 26 wax, awesome results evertime.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3174/16344DDC48EA4563B1C775902DC98EEE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM

my car has never looked better than after i clay bar it. I used the mothers california gold clay bar kit.

This was from the first time i ever clayed bared my car last summer.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
rj
15 Year Member

DAMN!!!!

This is the trunk of Deb's SS after I'd clay barred and waxed it.

Quick Reply: Your Montes Paint