Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   waxing spoiler (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/waxing-spoiler-45669/)

tweek 10-29-2013 11:49 AM

waxing spoiler

I bought a pace car style spoiler for the monte and its mounted but am having trouble getting wax to take on it. Its staying like a matte finish. Is this common? Is it the material of the spoiler?

Hiroska 10-29-2013 11:51 AM

Did you try washing it first? Im sure..but wash, then dry, then wax. What type of wax are you using? Spray? Or the old fashion with the microfiber towel? And no, I wax my SS spoiler alot when I wash it. Im gonna wax it again as a matter of a fact lol.

STUMPMI 10-29-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by tweek (Post 579128)
I bought a pace car style spoiler for the monte and its mounted but am having trouble getting wax to take on it. Its staying like a matte finish. Is this common? Is it the material of the spoiler?

Just might be some kinda crap on there like tree sap which is a bummer to get off..... I would recommend clay baring it to see if you can get it to comeback to a high gloss finish...then try polish...then waxing it!:thumbsup:

tweek 10-29-2013 11:59 AM

its a remanufactured piece. When I had it painted my painter said he even had some trouble with it. Im thinking its the material. Ill try and claybar it today and see what happens.

Blazed SS 10-29-2013 12:05 PM

Ok to me it sounds like Dried on Wax and you are just waxing over the top of it. It will look flat or satin on that spot .Try 3m adhesive remover or the Goo Gone that is safe for automotive paint. I know they remove the wax from your paint.

Hiroska 10-29-2013 12:06 PM

Or bug remover for cars

STUMPMI 10-29-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by tweek (Post 579133)
its a remanufactured piece. When I had it painted my painter said he even had some trouble with it. Im thinking its the material. Ill try and claybar it today and see what happens.

Maybe he should have used "etching" primer first... Then painted it?...
Etching primer is a filler, sealer type primer... So, maybe he may have to repaint it to get it to look right? By using "Etching" primer on it before he applys the base coat clear coat?

I hope the clay baring does the trick.:thumbsup:

tweek 10-29-2013 12:20 PM

Im going to clay bar it in a couple of hours.

Mels SS 10-29-2013 02:27 PM

You should strip the wax and then clay bar it use Dawn or Adam's All Purpose Cleaner to strip the wax. If that doesn't help you might need to color sand it and buff.

The_Maniac 10-30-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tweek (Post 579133)

When you say re-man, is this a salvage piece that was reconditioned and resold or a fresh casting???

If your painter is a professional and was having trouble with the paint sticking it sounds to me like:
- He did not properly prep the piece (it may have had a "gel coat" that needs sanding to prep for prime and then paint for example or if it was a previously installed part, may need some cleaning and sanding).
- The material it's made from is resistant to paint or has a special need situation.

As for the "finish", did you painter use base coat/clear coat? If clear, how many coats of clear?
And lastly, where did you get the spoiler from?