Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   Wax on rubber and plastic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/wax-rubber-plastic-59925/)

Jeffs02rwdSS 07-13-2018 08:27 PM

Wax on rubber and plastic

Wondering what I should use to get wax and polishing compound off of plastic and rubber ? I have tried alcohol on a rag and some bug and wax remover neither did much any suggestions would be great.

The_Maniac 07-13-2018 08:52 PM

I usually had good result with Mother's Back-to-Black. Could give that a shot.

drivernumber3 07-13-2018 09:56 PM

If you have some Wesley's tire cleaner try that, get the old one they were bought out. get at the hardware store and not at Walmart. :thumbsup:

JuniorCar 07-13-2018 11:21 PM

I use a product called "Kleen-Flo Holistic Rubber Care", but I don't even know if you can get that stuff in the US

SuperchargedMonte 07-14-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 712856)
I usually had good result with Mother's Back-to-Black. Could give that a shot.

I am curious did you ever do this with soft rubber around the sunroof? Thanks!

wht02monte 07-14-2018 06:13 AM

The things suggested above wont FIX your problem.. Theyll cover it up for a week or so. Plus things like to stick to tire shine like dust and dirt..

The only thing I have had luck with actually removing wax and polish off rubber (like around my rear windows) is buffing it out with a dremel tool.. Even that didnt get it all.

I think the wax absorbs into the rubber or a chemical in the wax reacts to the rubber creating a change in the rubber itself..

The_Maniac 07-14-2018 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedMonte (Post 712863)
I am curious did you ever do this with soft rubber around the sunroof? Thanks!

I've used it on that and other black rubber and plastic pieces. The downside with the sunroof piece, it only darkens a little bit. It does not go full black.

JuniorCar 07-14-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 712865)
The things suggested above wont FIX your problem.. Theyll cover it up for a week or so. Plus things like to stick to tire shine like dust and dirt..

The only thing I have had luck with actually removing wax and polish off rubber (like around my rear windows) is buffing it out with a dremel tool.. Even that didnt get it all.

I think the wax absorbs into the rubber or a chemical in the wax reacts to the rubber creating a change in the rubber itself..

Disagree! The Holistic Rubber care stuff I use is not a dressing at all. It's a thin non-gelling product delivered from a aerosol can and if you spray the crap out of rubber with it enough to get it wet it will all absorb right into the rubber. It's a rubber restoration product designed to make rubber more pliable. It's intended to be used on hoses, weatherstripping and CV boots.

I can't see a Dremel not doing damage, even with just a brush bit

SuperchargedMonte 07-14-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 712867)
I've used it on that and other black rubber and plastic pieces. The downside with the sunroof piece, it only darkens a little bit. It does not go full black.

Thank you!

Suburban73 05-13-2022 02:12 PM

Try a white rubber eraser you can buy at Staples