Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   Removing swirl marks (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/removing-swirl-marks-53100/)

KINGBASS 05-05-2015 07:11 AM

Removing swirl marks

Morning guys.

I was curious if there are any ways to do in between detailing on your car without compounding polishing. I gave my car a good detail with compound polish and wax. But I didn't get all the swirls out. Is there anything I can do in between details when I wash my car to continue to remove or try to remove them.

ChibiBlackSheep 05-05-2015 08:30 AM

Unfortunately not. Once you wax and such, you are sealing how the paint sits.

You would need to remove the wax, wash and really get a good compounding. You have to get the paint free of imperfections before you seal it and wax it. :thumbsup:

drivernumber3 05-05-2015 09:49 AM

This is a problem most of us have so not long ago a friend directed me to a youtube video I am attaching a link. I want to try this sometime.:thumbsup:

rexdews 05-28-2015 06:19 AM

I like using the Optimum poliseal because it helps remove swirl marks, polish and seal the paint.

SteveCZ28 05-28-2015 09:23 PM

when using swirl mark removers such as a good compound, is it reccommended to use a da buffer? or should i do it by hand? i would think a swirl remover is a tiny bit abbarsive to remove the marks, just didnt know if i could mess it up using a da buffer or not. obviously would take alot less time using the machine vs hand method

SkippyThorson 08-16-2015 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 661169)
This is a problem most of us have so not long ago a friend directed me to a youtube video I am attaching a link. I want to try this sometime.:thumbsup:

One day I'll be brave enough to bust out the buffer and tackle it myself.

What I'm nervous about is doing more damage with the buffer than good, and really working something like a rock into the paint with 3000rpms of paint starching fury.

Good video nonetheless!

drivernumber3 08-16-2015 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SkippyThorson (Post 670419)
One day I'll be brave enough to bust out the buffer and tackle it myself.

What I'm nervous about is doing more damage with the buffer than good, and really working something like a rock into the paint with 3000rpms of paint starching fury.

Good video nonetheless!

I have a big buffer with over 3K rpms and it will burn the paint. But I had an old car that I used it to play with once, but if you get the style that is in the Vid they are a lower RPM and they do a good job. But the product has to good as well. :thumbsup:

I recently purchased a bench buffer at Harbor Freight so I could polish some metal components I had and that thing made them look like new Chrome. I was going to have the part Chromed and the cost was close to $125. and the guy said if he chromed it, that some of the detail may be lost and suggested the buffer I am glad he did.

KINGBASS 08-17-2015 07:07 AM

This is a old thread I started. But figured I give a update. I have the pirta cable polisher/ buffer. I really like the pads that come with tool. I also have a few auto geek pads. Anyway after using it there was a big difference between hand and machine lol. I removed nearly all the swirl marks and gave the car a nice deep wet look. I never used a machine before. I started off slow with the machine at a slower speed setting. But 10 minutes into the job I felt comfortable with it in my hand. I am no professional but the car came out great. Thsnks everyone

ZIPPY02 08-17-2015 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by KINGBASS (Post 670514)
This is a old thread I started. But figured I give a update. I have the pirta cable polisher/ buffer. I really like the pads that come with tool. I also have a few auto geek pads. Anyway after using it there was a big difference between hand and machine lol. I removed nearly all the swirl marks and gave the car a nice deep wet look. I never used a machine before. I started off slow with the machine at a slower speed setting. But 10 minutes into the job I felt comfortable with it in my hand. I am no professional but the car came out great. Thsnks everyone

Nice, drop a couple new finished pictures of your sweet Monte. What products did you end up using?

I went from hand to machine then back to hand this year. Seems less messy and I can rub in one direction, used the Mequiars Polish then their Mirror Glaze / sealant and finally their Ultimate wax,

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...pszsgskwyl.jpg

KINGBASS 08-18-2015 07:11 AM

I use the the ultimate compound ,polish, and ultimate wax.
I have the mirror glaze but haven't used it yet. The wax is good but doesn't last long at all. I feel it only last a couple of weeks depending. I want to try a heavier wax.i don't use the machine for waxing. For me, I get better results when waxing by hand