Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   Choosing the Right Car Polisher (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/choosing-right-car-polisher-46935/)

06mistreSS 01-23-2014 10:00 PM

Choosing the Right Car Polisher

I recently ordered myself the Porter Cable 7424 XP DA Orbital Polisher as well as a Dual Action 5-Inch Flexible Hook & Loop Backing Plate. Research shows this polisher to be the most popular and is easy to learn and use. Prior to this I have done all my polishing and waxing by hand and have basically got sick of the amount of time and effort required to do everything by hand.

Porter Cable 7424 XP DA Orbital Polisher > Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

For pads, I ordered some of Lake Country's 5.5-Inch CCS foam pads. Lake Country has 9 different style CCS pads, each for a different step in the polishing process from aggressive cutting to very fine polish and glaze applications. I'm went with three of them for myself: orange, white, and blue. The full list of Lake Country CCS pads can be seen at the link below.

Lake Country CCS pads > Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Here's a great 2-part video by Autogeek on choosing the right car polisher.

Another great video on choosing pads and accessories.

I found all this information extremely helpful when researching for mine so I thought I'd share. I'll update later this spring after I have actually used the equipment on my cars.

Crusader SS 01-23-2014 10:11 PM

Very informative:thumbsup:... I am so tired of doing by hand that I have stopped... This actually looks like fun to do... Might have to invest...:)

Budsjlm 01-23-2014 10:11 PM

Autogeek is a great site, I spent about $800 on supplies last year, the microfiber correction set from meguires is awesome as well, for about the same price the groits garage da is also a great machine

Not the best shot but here is a 50/50 on my trunk, left(where you see my face lol)was 3/4 done right untouched
http://s139.photobucket.com/user/bud...3b8a3.jpg.html

Done with meguiars 5 in microfiber da correction system on groits garage da

One of the biggest things is prep work tho make sure you get a good quality soap that will strip old wax off I suggest just about anything in the chemical guys line and clay bar the hell out of it Befor you even start

06mistreSS 01-24-2014 09:46 AM

I already have a clay bar kit so that's not an issue. The car was clay barred last spring too.

Justin, what's your opinion on taping around plastic and rubber parts, trim, etc. before going at it with a polisher? I've seen this done and recommended to save the hassle of cleanup later but also requires not being as careful around those areas.

dbaldwin 01-24-2014 10:00 AM

Ill be getting a polisher this spring. The car definantly needs clay bared and polished. Up till this point its been all hand waxing and that takes forever.

06mistreSS 01-24-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin (Post 592703)
Ill be getting a polisher this spring. The car definantly needs clay bared and polished. Up till this point its been all hand waxing and that takes forever.

I've been using Mother's Cali Gold 3-Step system and that takes forever by hand; at least 6-7 hours. Before Monte Carlo Nationals last year, I washed, waxed and detailed mine and, in total, spend just over 12 hours in one day. I felt horrible afterward.

Like I said, I'll update after I have used the new polisher later this spring. I'll more than likely go at the Cruze first to get comfortable using it before I move to the Monte. I'm anxious to get going with it.

Budsjlm 01-24-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 592697)
I already have a clay bar kit so that's not an issue. The car was clay barred last spring too.

Justin, what's your opinion on taping around plastic and rubber parts, trim, etc. before going at it with a polisher? I've seen this done and recommended to save the hassle of cleanup later but also requires not being as careful around those areas.

It's a pain but worth it, I spend a stupid amound of time taping off my car, mainly because of the decals but also did all seams, plastic trim, the raised edges on fenders doors ect so there was no chance of burning them, less clean up after the compound/polish aswell, pulled it off then washed and put sealant and wax

ZIPPY02 01-24-2014 06:03 PM

I have used a 8" Makita variable speed polisher with good results for about 3 years now. Have always wondered what out there may be lighter and more efficient. Will eagerly watch for your report on your new kit. To be honest I have never taped off anything and have not caused myself any problems I don't believe. Never even knew taping off was a thing to do. :)

06mistreSS 01-25-2014 09:17 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Main thing I've seen tape used for is masking the plastic and rubber areas, trim, weatherstrip, etc. because polishes and waxes that touch those areas tend to leave stains and are a pita to remove, if you even can. I have some wax staining on the upper door weatherstripping on my Cruze (which was like that when I bought it) and I've gotten it better but have not been able to remove 100% of it. Avoiding it altogether by masking those areas seems like the safe route.

Mels SS 01-27-2014 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 592583)
I recently ordered myself the Porter Cable 7424 XP DA Orbital Polisher as well as a Dual Action 5-Inch Flexible Hook & Loop Backing Plate. Research shows this polisher to be the most popular and is easy to learn and use. Prior to this I have done all my polishing and waxing by hand and have basically got sick of the amount of time and effort required to do everything by hand.

Porter Cable 7424 XP DA Orbital Polisher > Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

For pads, I ordered some of Lake Country's 5.5-Inch CCS foam pads. Lake Country has 9 different style CCS pads, each for a different step in the polishing process from aggressive cutting to very fine polish and glaze applications. I'm went with three of them for myself: orange, white, and blue. The full list of Lake Country CCS pads can be seen at the link below.

Lake Country CCS pads > Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Here's a great 2-part video by Autogeek on choosing the right car polisher.

Part 1 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project - YouTube

Part 2 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project - YouTube

Another great video on choosing pads and accessories.

Buffing Pads, Backing Plates and Accessories - YouTube

I found all this information extremely helpful when researching for mine so I thought I'd share. I'll update later this spring after I have actually used the equipment on my cars.

You will love this change in your life Matt with the polisher