Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   Car drying question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/car-drying-question-41001/)

iMuf 01-20-2013 05:05 PM

Car drying question

Hey everyone, so it's getting about that time that it is going to start warming up (at least for us in the south lol) and I'm gonna probably have my first big wash on my new Monte Carlo. On my oldcar that I just got rid of I used to use just normal towels and I had tried chamois though I didn't really like it all that much. I have thought about getting fake chamois as I have heard it's more absorbant and cheaper then real chamois to try it and see how it does. But I wanted some opinions and maybe get some ideas from all of you, when you wash your cars what do you guys use?

03SSLE 01-20-2013 05:21 PM

Genuine chamois and/or microfiber towels is what I use. I tried a couple different artificial chamois and didn't care for them. They left little balls of material on the finish so I would have to follow up with a towel to remove them. :thumbsdown:

AwesomeSS 01-20-2013 08:53 PM

I like the XL Absorber - works like a charm!

ZIPPY02 01-20-2013 09:20 PM

I'm stuck with the microfiber towels, get a bag of about 50 at Sam's Club for like $16 and use the heck out of them on the cars exterior, then evolve them as they wear to wiping the engine, wheels etc. . Yet I also us the California Water Blade first which removes about 75% of the water before I use the towels. Walmart has them or eBay too.

Product description below:

A longer 14 inch Water Blade wipes away more water in a single pass!

Dry your vehicle completely in just minutes with the Original 14 inch California Water Blade. This larger Water Blade whisks away more water with each pass, resulting in a completely dry vehicle in less time and with less effort. The patented T-bar design made of medical grade silicone makes the 14 inch California Water Blade a safe and efficient way to dry your vehicle.

Rid Yourself of Towels and Chamois. The California Water Blade will minimize, if not completely eradicate, your use of towels and chamois. Gone is the arsenal of towels used to battle water spots. With a lightweight, compact shape, the 14 inch Water Blade works faster and easier than towels. Hand and arm stress is also significantly reduced.

Patented T-Bar Technology. The Water Blade uses patented technology. The California Water Blade is crafted from medical grade silicone, known for being strong yet supple. The patented ‘T-Bar’ technology used for the edge of the Blade has made abrasion and scratching a thing of the past. The Water Blade has passed our tests, including use on the most delicate of surfaces. Together, the shape and material of the Water Blade create 15 times less friction than drying with towels. This makes the California Water Blade ideal for clear coat and finicky finishes.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...UM/squeege.jpg

Red Nightmare 01-20-2013 09:40 PM

I've been using this blue sponge-like drying towel I got from walmart a long time ago...I don't think they sell it anymore. ): Its not like some of the fake chamois that have the faux texture, its more spongey & does not trap dirt. Its probably the best cloth I've ever used.

Budsjlm 01-20-2013 11:06 PM

Invest in a good quality, Waffle weave microfiber towel, they are designed for drying

Cheapo ones are prone to scratching,
Waterblades will scratch becuase we do not detail in a vacume chamber there is always dust( if you truly want to use one of there i sugest using a quick detailer while drying )

ChibiBlackSheep 01-21-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare (Post 521960)
I've been using this blue sponge-like drying towel I got from walmart a long time ago...I don't think they sell it anymore. ): Its not like some of the fake chamois that have the faux texture, its more spongey & does not trap dirt. Its probably the best cloth I've ever used.

It's probably an Absorber. They still exist, I have 2.

With my rinseless car wash system, I got "The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave By Cobra, 20 x 40 inches" and I have to say... it's by far the best thing that I have dried my car with.

The main thing to realize about drying a car, is to lay the cloth on the paint flat, and then lightly press down to absorb the water, try not to wipe the cloth back and forth.

Space 01-21-2013 08:37 AM

Hi iMuf,

To dry I use the "Water Blade" (works great)

My leaf blower after the water blade to blow out the water in the doors, trunk/hood etc..
If you have a good wax on your ride, the remaing water just blows away....(Be careful with the blower not to hit your ride) I put rubber molding on my blower outlet for extra protection) I've learned it pays to protect (wow)
http://socaltrucks.com/wp-content/up...eaf_blower.jpg
Finish with a good chamois...

Then spray detail with mirco towels...the complete exterior/door jams/trunk, under the hood etc.
Clean inside windows/interior & dress tires...
Then, I'm ready 2 roll/cruise & get out on the highways to enjoy :thumbsup:

Mels SS 01-22-2013 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm (Post 521963)
Invest in a good quality, Waffle weave microfiber towel, they are designed for drying

Cheapo ones are prone to scratching,
Waterblades will scratch becuase we do not detail in a vacume chamber there is always dust( if you truly want to use one of there i sugest using a quick detailer while drying )

Go to Adams and get a waffle drying towel there great and no scratching.
Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel

14DMN 01-30-2013 12:17 PM

I use a gas pedal and an interstate. 80mph and all the water is gone after about a mile or two. Also the quickest Ive found lol.