Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

How to make your car shine like a show car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow How to make your car shine like a show car

HOW TO MAKE YOUR CAR SHINE LIKE A SHOW CAR

By Meguiar's May 11, 2016

Meguiar’s, the world leader in car care technology wants to get you prepped for car show season with some tips and tricks for getting your car to shine bright like a diamond. The golden rule is to work smarter, not harder, ensuring your show car finish exceeds expectations.

The first step in any car care project is always washing. Car washing removes the loose contaminants sitting on top of the finish. Dishwashing detergents are not recommended for this as they are formulated to strip everything, including wax protection, off the surface leaving it unprotected from the elements. By comparison, Meguiar’s car wash products are rich with conditioners and nutrients that actually add gloss and vitality to a cars finish while being washed.

Surface prep is the second step in preparing any vehicle for polishing and waxing. Washing only removes loose contaminants sitting on top of the finish. Surface prep removes stubborn/bonded above surface contaminants and sub-surface defects that washing cannot remove. It is absolutely critical to use a product like Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit to create a smooth as glass finish or clear coat safe compound like Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound to remove below surface defects such as swirls, oxidation, and light scratches.

The classic definition of a polish, which is the third step, is a product used to create added brilliance and is treated as an optional step. In other words, pure polishes are specifically formulated to create high gloss and a great option for black and other dark colors. Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish also has the ability to polish out superficial imperfections like super fine scratches so a perfect reflection with great depth is created.

The next step is protection, involving the application of tenacious raw materials like waxes, polymers, silicones and resins which provide durable, long lasting protection against the elements. If long lasting durability and protection is desired after the application of either a pure polish or the aforementioned Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish, then an easy-to-use product like Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax would be best to use.

Finally, continued maintenance of any vehicle is necessary in keeping that lasting show car shine. Contaminants are constantly landing on our car finishes, attempting to bond to them. If you ignore them, you will have a serious build-up of bonded contaminants and a lot of work ahead of you. That’s where products like Meguiar’s Ultimate Quik Detailer come into play – the missing link between washing and waxing.

Follow these guidelines from Meguiar’s regularly and your car will look like a show car every day, and contaminants will never have time to undo your work.
www.meguiars.com

Old 05-11-2016, 07:47 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I use Meguiar's on my Montes. Their leather care products are awesome too.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Thumbs up

Hi Mod Barbara & thanks for being the first to post on this thread + your endorsement of Meguiar's Products.

I've had good luck with
Meguiar's Products & for the price I found their products do a great job. They would make a great addition sponsor on the MCF.

Member's, post what you are using ?

Old 05-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash And Wax Anywhere waterless wash on my Monte. At least I did, until the repaint. Now I look forward to using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash And Wax Anywhere again soon...........

Usually Meguiar's clay bar.

For bucket washing, I use a Turtle Wax car soap.

Also use either Meguiar's or Mother's quick detail spray as well...

Old 05-11-2016, 12:10 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike

They would make a great addition sponsor on the MCF.

Yes, they would. I use all they have in that picture you posted. BBMike, have you been at my house going through my closet where I keep all my car parts and products while I have been at work??LOL

Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Talking This has been a high-jacked thread (LOL)

Originally Posted by P343
Yes, they would. I use all they have in that picture you posted. BBMike, have you been at my house going through my closet where I keep all my car parts and products while I have been at work??LOL

Yes Mod Barbara, I admit it, but you didn't have to lock me in

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-12-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:29 AM

I like using Megs Gold class shampoo since it foams well and rinses easily without leaving any residue. For instant shine, Turtle Ice spray wax is my choice. It can also be used on plastics and rubbers.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I used to be a huge Meguiars guy but i switched to Adams products recently after trying Amandas Adams quick detail. Loved the outcome so now I'm hooked!

Last edited by MnteCrloSS47; 05-12-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Thumbs up Thank `Devin, Everyone for posting/sharing

Thanks `Devin for posting the product(s) that you are using + your super picture results

Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

But what about that engine bay?????? Lol