Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

How about sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 08:54 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default How about sound deadening

I was wondering if any one has done any thing to reduce the amount of road noise in there car. What to use and the like ? Herman

Old 01-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I recently replace all the Carpet in mine with new wall to wall carpet. the original carpet has a rubber backing on it which is about 1/8" thick and colds to the floor surface.
When I replaced the rug the new one was actually a bit thicker but I did use a small amount of a self adhesive sound deadener in the rear under the seat and against the sides of the car on the inside. then I also placed some near the inside of the side panels on the lower part of the front under the dash.
Found the stuff at a swap meet so I have no idea what brand it is and I just had enough to make it work on those sections.
But I did check the ebay and they have plenty of options there. I didn't think the extra material would have made it any better in my instance.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
I recently replace all the Carpet in mine with new wall to wall carpet. the original carpet has a rubber backing on it which is about 1/8" thick and colds to the floor surface.
When I replaced the rug the new one was actually a bit thicker but I did use a small amount of a self adhesive sound deadener in the rear under the seat and against the sides of the car on the inside. then I also placed some near the inside of the side panels on the lower part of the front under the dash.
Found the stuff at a swap meet so I have no idea what brand it is and I just had enough to make it work on those sections.
But I did check the ebay and they have plenty of options there. I didn't think the extra material would have made it any better in my instance.
Thats not exactly what I was meaning (I replaced the carpet) ok thanks for your reply but there must be some of the members that actually went after this to make their cars more quite. The less noise from the outside makes for a more enjoyable ride inside. Things like the door skins ,the trunk ,the interior floor , the kick panels ,and of course the under neath the back seat .I don't really care for loud rumbly exhaust rather the quality you find in a car worth maybe a little more money than our Montes (I couldn't get over how much road noise I hear in my car compared to my Buick Regal GS) Its like GM forgot to put some quality into sound deadening. Herman

Old 01-25-2018, 08:24 PM

I did the trunk of my monte in a material similar to dynamat back when I was into sound competition stuff. It was relatively easy to install and worked pretty well.

There are lots of knockoff brands available now. Try searching Eastwood, Jegs, etc for 'sound deadening'. There are generally 3 groups of options available:
-Relatively thin rubberized mat with adhesive on one side. You cut it to shape, peel off the release liner, and apply it to metal as you roll it into the contours and apply heat. This is the most common type as its easy to install and goes under nearly anything. It's perfect for applying for sheet metal as it dampens the resonating effect.
-Spray on insulation (Lizard Skin being a common brand). This is obviously far quicker to install if you've got part of the car stripped. It also does a good job of conforming to odd contours. The downside is, you have to watch how much you apply. It's pretty thick stuff so you've got to keep it moving to prevent buildup wherever something mounts on top of what you're coating.
-insulation foam/mat - similar to what's already built into the carpet. This is bulky and has limited places it's useful (mostly under panels and carpet).

There are only two downsides to this stuff - it's a bit pricey (especially if you go with brand name stuff), and two is that it can be very heavy. If you're doing a full up job it can also be extremely time consuming as you've got to strip the entire interior.

If you're looking for bang for the buck, id do the floor pan last (on a unibody car anyways). The floor metal is pretty thick and doesn't resonate as easily since it's basically the frame of the car.

The places I'd start with are the back wheel wells and the door panels. Then you can work out from there. If the exhaust bugs you, the trunk is a good place to focus as its a lot of bare or nearly bare sheet metal.

​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi and thanks for the reply , You brought up some good points , the weight of the products , but as you were saying what you are doing is cutting down on the vibration of the sheet metal which is amplifying the noise from the outside. Very true ,so ya the doors and wheel wells would be definitely be in order and in and around the back seat area, Probably a lot of what I am hearing is coming through the back seat . I would hate to see what I would hear if the car had serious snow tires on it. Designed in a wind tunnel ,Not a sound tunnel LOL. Herman

Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 PM

Cheap alternative to dynomat? Gotcha covered! Available at Lowes in roofing supplies.
Peel&Stick Aluminum roll roofing Put in truck of my monte and rear seat area under carpet that had gotten wet and i had to replace made a big difference light weight and sound reducer

Old 01-27-2018, 12:11 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by fever42
Cheap alternative to dynomat? Gotcha covered! Available at Lowes in roofing supplies.
Peel&Stick Aluminum roll roofing Put in truck of my monte and rear seat area under carpet that had gotten wet and i had to replace made a big difference light weight and sound reducer
Thanks for the reply my friend I went looking at some youtube videos yesterday and saw all kinds of people saying you could use some different products some work some looked they worked but some failed after time (the ones that failed were roofing products ) the reason for that was the material they use TAR gets hot and was no longer stable. I saw some real bad stuff which made me think twice why they charge big money for stuff like Duramat its Rubber not Tar which does not heat up and loose its shape and make a mess. I even saw one guy saying you want a quiter car change your tires LOL. Herman

Old 01-27-2018, 02:22 PM

thre is a product called NOICO on amazon.....much cheaper than Dynamat.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For sure, remove rear seat, 5 bolts if I remember right, mat out that and the whole trunk area. What does it cost perhaps a $100 to do your whole car and a couple days to remove all the seats, carpet, mat things out and reinstall. Just bide your time until a few warm days arrive. I within reason applied it to all of my floor pans, floor boards, door interiors, trunk etc. The material I used is similar to this. Guess it depends on how long you will keep your Monte, what mods your doing that generate excessive sound.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-90-x39....c100005.m1851

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 01-27-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:02 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
For sure, remove rear seat, 5 bolts if I remember right, mat out that and the whole trunk area. What does it cost perhaps a $100 to do your whole car and a couple days to remove all the seats, carpet, mat things out and reinstall. Just bide your time until a few warm days arrive. I within reason applied it to all of my floor pans, floor boards, door interiors, trunk etc. The material I used is similar to this. Guess it depends on how long you will keep your Monte, what mods your doing that generate excessive sound.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-90-x39....c100005.m1851
Thanks for your reply I have not done anything to generate extra noise,No loud mufflers, CAI,Headers or the like. The car is clean Stock 3.4 LS. Im not a kid and keep my vehicles for quite a long time, I am a professional driver by trade so not hard off the line and drive the thing like I stole it stuff. I usually drive the mom and pop cars. This 2001 Monte just caught my eye fairly low miles,owned by a 64 yr old lady and the price was reasonable. I had to do some brakes and tires and the power window switch on the driver side. I replaced the stereo (amp quit) Put a Blue Tooth stereo in it. And now was just looking to make the car a little less noisy inside the car. So I am looking at some sound deadening materials. I will do some stuff to make it run cooler (Mods) But other than that just an everyday driver for me. I dont drive it in the snow or tow stuff with it I have a 4x4 for that. Thanks for reading Herman