Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   Best way to clean powder coated wheels? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/best-way-clean-powder-coated-wheels-41691/)

iMuf 03-01-2013 08:19 PM

Best way to clean powder coated wheels?

So my wheels just came in and they will be going on my car ASAP. They are powder coated black with a machined face, what is the best way to clean something like that. Right now I have been using aluminum wheel cleaner on my OEM wheels but since these aren't aluminum I was just wondering what the best way to go about cleaning them would be. Thanks in advance

ZIPPY02 03-01-2013 09:37 PM

I too have powder coated black wheels. All I use on them is the same soap used to wash my car and a microfiber cloth. I always dry them to remove any potential spotting. And after 4 years they still look new. Once a year I remove them from the car ans wash the reverse side of the wheels too as they accumulate a fair amount of grime and brake dust.

red04montels 03-01-2013 10:54 PM

what zippy said, i also like to use meguiars quick detailer or their spray wax on my wheels, they keep clean and look nice for quite a while

Mels SS 03-02-2013 07:28 AM

1) Cleaner:
Use the least aggressive method first - Adam's Car Wash Shampoo at wash strength, ^Green Wheel Cleaner, ^All Purpose Cleaner. I am guessing they will not be bad enough to require the new Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner, but if you are using highly metallic pads you may.

2) Polish:
Same as the paint, Fine Machine Polish first, ^Swirl & Haze Remover if required.

3) Wax:
Quick Sealant will be the easiest to apply and protect for a while.

Put up pics when done!!

iMuf 03-02-2013 07:57 AM

These are what I got. MKW® M103 Wheels - Gloss Black with Machined Face Rims I was originally going to get them with a red pin stripe but that was $50 extra per wheel. So I am just going to get some pin stripe tape and pin strip them myself

ZIPPY02 03-02-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by iMuf (Post 531666)
These are what I got. MKW® M103 Wheels - Gloss Black with Machined Face Rims I was originally going to get them with a red pin stripe but that was $50 extra per wheel. So I am just going to get some pin stripe tape and pin strip them myself

As far as the Red pin striping goes thats exactly how my rims were done and they have held up for 4 years now. I just avoid hitting the pin striped areas with a pressure washer at the car wash.... Post pictures when you finish, can't wait to see them. Bet they will look BA...... :) :)

iMuf 03-02-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 531682)
As far as the Red pin striping goes thats exactly how my rims were done and they have held up for 4 years now. I just avoid hitting the pin striped areas with a pressure washer at the car wash.... Post pictures when you finish, can't wait to see them. Bet they will look BA...... :) :)

Will do haha