Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/)
-   -   '04 Seat Fade (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/detailing-10/04-seat-fade-23216/)

The_Maniac 09-09-2010 07:32 AM

'04 Seat Fade

Not sure if this was the right place to park this question, but here it is anyways....

I have an '04 Monte SS with 62K miles on it. Since I bought it in '08, I have only put about 10K on it.

I noticed the otherday the top of the back seat appears to be fading. I've been tempted to drape a towel over it to prevent further fading of it or even have a little tint put on the rear window. I attribute this to the low amount of driving I do with it (btw - I park it outside for the winter but it is under a car cover to shield it from the elements).

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks!!

ChibiBlackSheep 09-09-2010 10:40 AM

Leather?

The_Maniac 09-09-2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 261395)
Leather?

My bad, I forgot to mention, I have cloth seats. Or if you are suggesting switching to leather, I tend to like the cloth better.....

nighthawk626 09-09-2010 12:08 PM

u can do either or, i dont know wat color u have but mt f-body that i owned had black seat and the top started fading to a hideous purple. i learned to live with it

ChibiBlackSheep 09-09-2010 01:55 PM

I was just going to give you advice on cleaning and conditioning the leather seats :)

IDK what to do for cloth, sorry :)

LuSe4 09-09-2010 04:58 PM

If you tint the rear window, it will help stop the uv rays from caring it more, and it will darken it up back there so that the fading isn't as noticeable. Plus it will look good on your car! :)

nemesis 09-09-2010 08:31 PM

i'm sure you can buy dye for it, but it's gonna be hard trying to match up to the original color. if it really bother you i would go to the junk yard or craigslist and buy new back seats. they should be pretty cheap cuz it's cloth.

lougreen03 09-10-2010 02:32 AM

You could use a sunshade while it's parked. Like the kind you would use in the windshield. There pretty cheap I think I paid about 4 bucks for mine.

The_Maniac 09-10-2010 07:58 AM

I think for now, I am going to drape an all black towel over the seat. Eventually I do want a little window tinting done to the Monte.

The fade is not that bad (yet). Right now it's easy to assume it looks that way because of how the light is hitting it (but I know better). I just wanted to see how to prevent it from getting worse (and see what the think tank here had for ideas).

Sounds like my ideas are sound. Thanks!!

jcoeracing97 09-26-2010 10:53 AM

I have the same condition with the rear seats on my '03 SS. As much I suffer from OCD...LOL!!!, I've just learned to live with it. Trying to match dye to fix the problem would in all reality cause it to worsen. My solution was simple; tint the glass (finally) and halt the progression of fade while lowering the inside tempature.