Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Traction control + ABS Warning Lite 2003 Monte Carlo 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Default Traction control + ABS Warning Lite 2003 Monte Carlo 3.4

Oh man I cant believe this, first my traction control off light was coming on, but that was it, then the light would go off, now Im chiming service traction control, and the ABS light is coming on???? And With Christmas and bills coming up, I want to have info on the issue befor i take it to the shop so they dont try to jack me??? 2003 Monte 3.4.. Two months ago I changed all 4 struts and springs, and a front right wheel berring and 2 lower tie rod ends..Please Help

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

have the same issue with my 3.8 ss, code showed it was my abs pump gone bad. new is around $400, get one rebuilt its less.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I would think the first thing to check is see if someone can read the ABS sensors (see if one is not responding properly). Odds are from my experience, one has gone bad. If that is the cause, it's a lot cheaper then the ABS pump being replaced.

ABS can be a PITA when it fails, it's even worse when it fails and the computer does not know it's failed.... I had one of those on a '93 car I had a long time ago (ABS activates but car went into a slide every time, I finally pulled the ABS wires off the brake booster and could easily stop the car).

Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM

i have a 2003 monte ss when i would turn rught the traction control light and abs light would come on. i unplugged the harnes the the wheel speed sensor and sprayed contact cleaner in the male and female end let dry for acouple off mins the apply alittle lithium grease plug it back in and problem solved

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

'02 SS w/ the ABS code, and TCS lights on constantly. Had the shop look at it, they replaced 1 wheel bearing (stupid GM design.) Codes are gone, and my traction control is working now.

Getting the codes read should be the first thing you do. Try autozone, some of them have the ABS code scanner, and will read your codes for free.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Had the same problem , checked my abs harness conections and one of the wires were cut, soddered it back together and its as good as new

Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by bengles
i have a 2003 monte ss when i would turn rught the traction control light and abs light would come on. i unplugged the harnes the the wheel speed sensor and sprayed contact cleaner in the male and female end let dry for acouple off mins the apply alittle lithium grease plug it back in and problem solved
Originally Posted by monte ls
Had the same problem , checked my abs harness conections and one of the wires were cut, soddered it back together and its as good as new
Excellent diagnostics. A lot of sensor problems can be resolved with a little time and investigation. A little bit of contact cleaner or a dab of solder is a far cry from the $$$ to replace the sensor...and still have the same problem or have it return shortly thereafter.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Default traction and abs light

i have same problems with this 03 monte carlo ss 3.8. traction and abs light. replaced the pump had the brakes bleed with the scanner which so cool . that lasted a good two weeks and started all over again . the hub bearing replaced two each side from house brand to Moog parts . one side of wires were cut , looked, like a pliers cut it. did change the tires but have to still check tire pressure to keep it from turning back on ........ so tired of the problems but love the car . all this tech stuff should make life better but hate it more and more.
I had two mechanics look at the problem . neither can find anything wrong with the car

Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 AM
Default after unplugging computer in my air box

hey everyone first time user. i have a 2003 Monte Carlo ss and i'm having traction control problems. my service traction control light is on and also abs, break, and track off lights are on. now i have had this prob before and its started when i put in my k and n cold air intake box. if anyone has done it you must replace the stock air box and unplug the a computer to put in the k and n box. i don't know what the computer in the air box controls. but after it was all put back together all the traction control lights came on. took it in to get it looked and i needed a new abs modal after putting it in the problem was gone. i had bearings go out and i also replaced them as it happened it seemed till now i have had it under control.

now i had replaced my radiator and i had to take the air box out again to make room. and unplug that computer and the same lights are on just like before... is there some sort of problem when unplugging the air box computer it takes out the traction control and abs?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM

Unless the wheel bearing is noisy, then it is the abs harness. I went to eBay and bought two brand new abs harness($30 each) and the problem is gone. I replaced both hubs with acdelco and still the problem, trust me and replace or clean the harness connectors with electronic cleaner and electrical contact grease. The harness replacement are only a foot or so long but fix the problem and cheaper than a hub.

Quick Reply: Traction control + ABS Warning Lite 2003 Monte Carlo 3.4