Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

TPMS required by law?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have inspection? The shop is probably worried that you might not pass and then blame it on them if you have a code.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Actually, starting Jan 1, 2007, Federal Law requires TPMS on all new cars and makes it illegal to disable it...

Do a little searching and you'll find tons of info on it... here's one such link
Automobile

BBEngineer

Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Do you have inspection? The shop is probably worried that you might not pass and then blame it on them if you have a code.
You know, actually my car passed inspection last October with one of my tire sensors not working.

Originally Posted by bbengineer
Actually, starting Jan 1, 2007, Federal Law requires TPMS on all new cars and makes it illegal to disable it...

Do a little searching and you'll find tons of info on it... here's one such link
Automobile

BBEngineer
Why am I not surprised that this would be the kind of thing that our wonderful (sarcasm) Federal government would come up with? Seriously, don't the bureaucrats in Washington have anything better to do than to constantly come up with new ways to regulate every aspect of our lives? The US government really pisses me off.

Speaking of which, did you all hear the latest fantastic idea to come from Washington? I heard on the radio tonight that Obama wants to impose a tax on us based on how many miles we drive. Between the high price of gas and this new tax (if it gets enacted), we won't be able to take our Montes out anywhere anymore!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Well the thing about the TPMS is that isn't really throwing a code per-say. It's just an annoying message and I want it gone for good.
Is it a light or one of those new display pieces (says door ajar and whatnot)?

If it's just a light, burn the bulb out

Or disable it in the PCM

jwjones, you don't have a TPMS, I'm pretty sure. If you've ever had a tire run low and no light came on to warn you, you don't have it.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Is it a light or one of those new display pieces (says door ajar and whatnot)?

If it's just a light, burn the bulb out

Or disable it in the PCM

jwjones, you don't have a TPMS, I'm pretty sure. If you've ever had a tire run low and no light came on to warn you, you don't have it.
It's a message that displays in the DIC every time I start my car. F'ing annoying.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM

The following questions and answers are direct from a GM technical bulletin:

Q: What is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

A: The TPM system consists of four sensors (one in each wheel), which transmit wireless (RF) signals to a vehicle receiver (typically, the same receiver that performs the keyless entry function), the Low Tire telltale, and the Driver Information Center (if equipped).

Q: Do all Vehicles Have Tire Pressure Monitoring?

A: Starting with the 2008 MY, all GM vehicles sold in the United States are equipped with tire pressure monitoring, to meet the mandates of FMVSS 138. Some vehicles built prior to the 2008 model year or sold in Canada have tire pressure monitoring; check vehicle build and RPO information to be sure.

Q: Can the Tire Type and/or Placard Value be changed, if aftermarket tires or wheels are installed?

A: The Tire Type (P Metric, LT Load Range C/D/E) and the Placard Value (Front Placard and Rear Placard, individually) are stored in the receiver as calibrations and CAN be revised at a GM Dealership with a Tech 2. (The RCDLR Setup screens allow this.) Since the under-inflation threshold is calculated as a percentage of the placard; correcting the placard values when different tires are installed will bring the vehicle back into compliance.

Q: Can Tire Pressure Monitoring be turned off?

A: Tire Pressure Monitoring is now a mandated safety system in the United States and cannot knowingly be disabled by an OEM nor an aftermarket service provider (49 USC 30101).

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Photobucket

Booooooooooo

Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Officer: License and registration please
Officer: Those are some nice wheels you have there. Is your tpm system working correctly, those dont look like factory specific tires.
Me: Ummm they're aftermarket, and I disabled the tpms.
Officer: *draws gun* GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE NOW!! *calls for backup*

For some reason I could see that happening to me^^^

Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Photobucket

^HA!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM

So I went and got a new set of tires put on the Monte last Monday, but I told the guy at the shop that one of my tire sensors is broken and I think it's a waste of money to buy a new one. He left the bad sensor on the car, but after they put the new tires on and then went through that procedure to have the sensors learn the tire positions, instead of getting readings from the 3 sensors that were working and then dashes from the one that wasn't, now I get no readings (just dashes) from ALL of the sensors, and of course I still get the stupid "check tire pressure monitoring system" message every time I start the car.

Safety feature my ***!

Quick Reply: TPMS required by law?