Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Performance Brakes

Old 10-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Well keep me posted lol

Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Whatever you do avoid the Brembo Kit.

It's a skeleton brake kit. Only the calipers are brembo, the rest? You guess is as good as mine.

May look good but who knows how long you would be able to enjoy that for. Bought it and sent it right back after I had a look at it. I spoke with Brembo and they said to send it back as well.

Have yet to find any aftermarket brakes for this car that is worth it.

GXP brake parts are all discontinued so good luck to anyone looking for that.

My next thing will be OEM stuff again. Or a cryo treated rotor. I'd love bigger front rotor and rear just for looks but there are no calipers that are worth it. Wilwood-- no thanks. There is basically nothing out there for this car for better performance braking.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 PM

How about a 9c1 police brake upgrade, pretty easy to do with a pair of stoptech cryo slotted rotors up front and gxp rotors with c6 vette calipers in rear. Been running this setup for almost 2 years no issues. I slam my ride into turns and it's stop very well, all parts are easy to get, those are the only rotors that have yet to pulsate.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by S.O.G.
Anyone ever find a good set of rotors/pads for the 2006+ ? And by good I mean drilled and slotted rotors lol
I disagree with the approach that the best rotors are drilled and slotted. Personally, I think it is better to focus on buying a more aggressive pad if you're looking for better stopping (especially if you're sticking with the same rotor diameter, calipers, etc).

Going over to the Corvette world when I picked up my c6, I've been amazed at how many people run regular blank rotors for light track use. There is less to go wrong from the manufacturing process and they are cheaper to replace (and with aggressive pads and some track use, you'll certainly be replacing a lot). These guys aren't sliding off the track because all the pad out gassing has nowhere to escape- the gasses escape just fine on their own even with light track usage.

With that said, I imagine the majority of people on here aren't going to road course tracks ever where you'd get that kind of heat built up. I would think autocross would be as far as most wbodys ever make it (and even at that, they're not particularly competitive). So I would think the majority of people here are just looking for better stopping perfomance for a one or two time stop on the street (or at the end of a drag strip).

For this use, I really think some quality blank rotors and aggressive pads would serve the needs of the bulk of the users on here. Just keep in mind not to go too aggressive on the pad selection - you don't want pads with no cold bite because you arent able to keep them up to operating temperature. Also, some of the more hardcore pads start getting noisey, if you're one that is sensitive to NVH.

Another thing to consider for this type of usage - if you can slam on the brakes and get the car into ABS on the roads you normally drive on, then doing a massive brake upgrade isn't going to buy you anything. Certainly there is more heat capacity with a bigger rotor/caliper, but again I can't imagine that many road course cars are on here. If you're able to lock the tires, a better route is to upgrade to a more sticky tire since bigger brakes are just going to lock the wheels with less pedal pressure.

I've also seen far more people have issues with drilled rotors (such as cracking) than I've seem with regular blanks. Below is a link to a popular brake pad manufacturer warning about the use of drilled rotors:

http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dangerous-cross-drilled-rotors/

Before someone calls me out for it, I do run drilled rotors on my GXP because it came with them from the factory. I also have drilled AND slotted aftermarket rotors on my monte becuase, well, I was young and misinformed and bought into the hype.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-13-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well Bumpin I'm not bumpin heads with you, your one of the highly respected knowledge guru's here on the forum.

All I have to add is I have the same drilled / slotted rotors on my Monte since 08 and my mechanic told me I need to replace them by the next safety inspection. They worked for 7 years plus and I put my Monte through the paces for sure. I also believe they will not warp like the solid factory ones do, as they dissipate the heat quicker after the hard braking sessions and cool off more evenly, or so the rumors go. Was just at the road course running the Monte again this past week and you could just smell brake pads. Run the ATE high temp BLUE brake fluid, had just a touch of pedal fade about 3/4 around the track, but everything held up. Yeah! I use the Wagner Thermo-quiet pads. They do need to be hot to work, when it's cold it feels like you have no brakes.

So back to the subject of drilled / slotted. I'm getting 4 more as like you say they may help keep the overall heat down on the road courses.

Will post a new video of the car at the track in a week or two. It was another fun time, 2.5 mile road course.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 10-14-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:02 PM

I think I'm going to place my order on brakemotive slotted/drilled rotors and their ceramic pads with rubber shims this weekend. Hopefully they aren't a disappointment!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:01 AM

I`ve replaced my gf`s 07 Impala SS and my 07 Monte SS with the Max brand zinc plated slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads, purchased off of eBay made in Canada (supposedly) 220$ cad delivered. Front and rears. 130$ for just the fronts.

Its been a month and they are as good if not better than the o.e.m`s. I had a squeal so I removed the pads and put a bead of high temp aerospace grade RTV on back., super quiet after. So the GXP rotors and calipers are a direct swap? Huh? that's cool!

Last edited by UmmaGumma; 10-23-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by UmmaGumma
I`ve replaced my gf`s 07 Impala SS and my 07 Monte SS with the Max brand zinc plated slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads, purchased off of eBay made in Canada (supposedly) 220$ cad delivered. Front and rears. 130$ for just the fronts.

Its been a month and they are as good if not better than the o.e.m`s. I had a squeal so I removed the pads and put a bead of high temp aerospace grade RTV on back., super quiet after. So the GXP rotors and calipers are a direct swap? Huh? that's cool!
Nice! I found a set for 170 from brakemotive on ebay that includes both front and rear slotted/drilled rotors and all 8 pads!