Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Monte vibrates-shakes when I accelerate. Please HELP!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Exclamation Monte vibrates-shakes when I accelerate. Please HELP!!!

Hello All,

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo LS with 92,000 miles (90% freeway miles). Recently the car started vibrating only when I accelerated. I stopped driving the car because it seems dangerous to me. Here are the symptoms:

* Vibrates only when I accelerate, meaning when idle and when I let go off the gas, it does not vibrate and rides smooth
* The steering wheel does not vibrate at all and goes straight when I let go of it even when I accelerate or is at constant acceleration
* The driver's side vibrates more than the left
* The whole front end shakes

I went home and jacked up the car, took off the tires, and accelerated slowly. The car still shakes but it's not as noticeable because obviously is not on the ground and no force acting on the car.

I noticed the driver's spring and shock shake as well but can't really tell where it is coming from. In fact, I can't really tell what it is. All I know is it shakes and vibrates when the RPM's increase.

After reading and researching the problem narrowed down to the CV axel, U Joint, or motor mounts. After eye inspection, I believe the motor mounts are not the problem. They seem OK.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Please suggest what the problem is.

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im guessing its your wheel bearings. Are you running larger rims, that can stress them.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I know you said they look fine, but I was thinking motor mounts.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm guessing wheel bearings or a ball joint....
First, I'm not sure how acurate/safe having the car up on jacks stands without the front wheels on and the transmission engaged is.

First thing, get the front end in the air. Try rocking the wheel. Top and bottom, left and right, and then diagonally. If it does not seem "tight" and it's loose in all directions, it's a safe bet the wheel bearings have gone bad. If you do the same test with the wheels off, it's even easier to see if there is play in it. Also, when the wheel bearings are bad, you typically get a really nasty noise (a lot when turning).

I don't have a "best practice" for determining bad tie rods/ball joints other then rock the wheel and watch if there is play in them.

BTW - While inspecting the car, visually inspect the bushings on the lower control arms and the linkage that connects the lower control arm with the anti-sway bar.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
BTW - While inspecting the car, visually inspect the bushings on the lower control arms and the linkage that connects the lower control arm with the anti-sway bar.
I was thinking this - I sell a couple of these "hockey pucks" everyday at work. Same part number for all the w- body's.

Or maybe you threw a wheel weight? I had al sorts of problems with shuddering when I first got these wheels because nothing wanted to stick to them and they always came out of balance. That would not likely be the issue if it occurs at all speeds...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 PM

I removed the the outter weights on my monte Because i seen they started to ruin the RIM. I noticed it only Viberate at 50-65Kms. and its not that bad of a Shake. I have 92 000Kms on tires.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Im guessing its your wheel bearings. Are you running larger rims, that can stress them.
The wheel bearings were fine. It was the axles that caused the vibration when accelerating.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
I know you said they look fine, but I was thinking motor mounts.
at 92,000 and in california weather, the motor mounts did look a little bad, but they were not the problem. I can't even feel the engine on when the car is on and that's a good sign that the mounts are still good.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. The problem was fixed by replacing both of the axels. They really needed to be replaced. Just for the record and for future users having the same problems, if your car vibrates when accelerating replace the axels. Mine looked just fine like there was no problem but they were damaged. Even though they look fine, just replace them. My Monte rides nice once again, no vibration at all at any speed. I will soon be replacing the struts and shocks and buy some suspension parts. I want my monte to feel like brand new once again.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 PM

i got the same problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monte vibrates-shakes when I accelerate. Please HELP!!!