Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): how to paint wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM
Default how to paint wheels

Hey guys...so my son just got a 2000 Monte Carlo LS. It has stock wheels on it, aluminum I believe...Since his car is all white, with a couple small black pin stripes down the sides..he wants to do sort of a "black out" look on the vehicle. We've done with tail lights, backup lights with 3 coats of "Night Shades"..which turned out REALLY nice. and then we did just one coat on the headlights, so it wouldn't make the headlights too dim.

Then he wants to do some racing stripes down the hood, roof, and trunk..again, no big deal...I can do that easy enough.

Then last, he wants to paint is stock rims black. Again, they are aluminum with the center lug nut cover being plastic. I bought some black paint/primer in one, thinking it should do the trick..I popped all the plastic center rings out..washed them, then wiped them all down with Rubbing Alcohol to ensure no grease or wax buildup..I sprayed them all with 4 light coats for a nice even coverage. This morning, I go out and move a couple of them and my FINGERNAIL scratches the paint right off. WTH?????? I've never had anything NOT stick like that before... So I went back to the store and bought some "ETCHING" primer for all metals and plastic...and now tonight I have them cleaned back off, and 3 light coats of the etching primer on and drying. Is this the way to go??? Or what am I missing??

Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I am thinking your metal was too smooth for anything to stick to.
I have never used etching primer but I know the concept behind it. Once the primer has been applied as listed on the can, the surface should be ready to accept and hold paint.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 PM

yeah...I couldn't believe HOW SMOOTH the surface was once I had it completely cleaned. It was baby butt smooth.

Anyway...I got all the old paint off again, and now have the etching primer on...We'll see how well it "takes" in the morning. I am hoping this is the way to go.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Let us know how it goes!!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:54 PM

not holding my breath..I did 3 light coats of the etching primer (suppose to be the best metal primer there is) and granted, it's only been on now for about 4 hours, but I did scratch some off with my nail. I am going to let it dry overnight, and see what it does tomorrow, after 24 hours. I may have to actually take some aggressive sandpaper to the surface and rough it up a bit, in order for anything to stick to it.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:20 PM

well...went out just now and the etching primer certainly helps (ALOT).. with that said, I think the lug nut cover cap is just too smooth for anything to adhere well. I think if you roughed it up a bit with some sandpaper that could help with the "bite". I was able to still scratch off the finish....SO I went and bought 3 cans of black plasti-dip spray. and a can of Plasi dip "glossifier".....I have now coated the wheesl with black plasti dip and will spray a couple coats of the glossifier to make them shiny.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:29 PM

Auto parts stores sell those lug nut covers in black in case you wanna skip on painting them.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by flyweed
well...went out just now and the etching primer certainly helps (ALOT).. with that said, I think the lug nut cover cap is just too smooth for anything to adhere well. I think if you roughed it up a bit with some sandpaper that could help with the "bite". I was able to still scratch off the finish....SO I went and bought 3 cans of black plasti-dip spray. and a can of Plasi dip "glossifier".....I have now coated the wheesl with black plasti dip and will spray a couple coats of the glossifier to make them shiny.
You mean you put plastidip after painting your rims?

Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 PM

When I plasti dipped my wheels I did 8 coats per wheel. They lasted 5 years (until the crash last week) without any issues or peeling even with pressure washing. Did nothing to prep just spray & go.