Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Front Coilovers on 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Excellent! I can't wait to see that thing dumped!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I understand more now with your explanation about being able to only use end driven lugs. Tuner nuts it is... Our 6th gens have open ended nuts and then the plastic nut covers, would that combination have not been an option? Would your stud be too long and the caps not have any room to be seated?
That is how my stock lugs were also. Only difference is that the plastic lug nut caps were captured in the hub caps (yep, this was a steel wheel car originally, lol).

However, stock lugs are too wide, especially with the threaded OD for the plastic caps. Even if the stock style lugs could thread on, you'd never be able to get a socket on it - the socket is way too big for the hole. That's why the lugs need to have an extended shaft to put the hex part of the nut outside of the wheel face or they need to be end driven (which limits the stud length).

The other option is to ditch these wheels with their funky lug holes. I got them dirt cheap off a guy used years ago ($250 w 2 good tires). I have been looking into that option also, but I'm not sure what to get if I did go that route.

I do see a guy on GPF is selling a set of black 19"s with the new mickey thompson street comp tires. I was close to pulling the trigger (I still may), but I found that drag radial options in a 245/19 is super limited.

Plus, the car has had chrome wheels for the past 15 years, so I'm not sure how I feel about the stormtrooper white/black look. I'm sure it would look fine, it would just take some getting used to.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-02-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM
15 Year Member

Aluminum lugs are in and they fit great. Its long enough to hold almost the entire stud inside of it, and that's not even with the stud pushed into a hub and on a rotor/wheel. They were a little pricey, bit if it saves me from having to buy new wheels, it'll probably be for the best.

Started taking the passenger side apart yesterday and will crank on it a lot more today. It still blows me away how long the stock spring is! I got some good pictures for an eventual how to.

One downside is that I didn't unclip the wheel speed sensor harness first. When I finally got the ball joint up and over the lip, I apparently pulled it too tight as it yanked the wires out of the plug. It looks like I can salvage it, but obviously I won't be able to get the weatherpack rubber back on over the metal connectors. I suppose I could try hooking it back up and just put some silicone in there or something. Option b us to stop by napa and get a whole new connector for both sides with fresh weatherpacks.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Nice, good to know your new tuner lug nuts were able to do the job for you. Tough luck with the speed sensor connector, I'm sure you will make the right decision, your a master mind, what a superb project you have under taken. Hats off to you, your a genuine mad man, the Monte is going to be absolutely sic when your work is completed.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Aluminum lugs are in and they fit great. Its long enough to hold almost the entire stud inside of it, and that's not even with the stud pushed into a hub and on a rotor/wheel. They were a little pricey, bit if it saves me from having to buy new wheels, it'll probably be for the best.

Started taking the passenger side apart yesterday and will crank on it a lot more today. It still blows me away how long the stock spring is! I got some good pictures for an eventual how to.

One downside is that I didn't unclip the wheel speed sensor harness first. When I finally got the ball joint up and over the lip, I apparently pulled it too tight as it yanked the wires out of the plug. It looks like I can salvage it, but obviously I won't be able to get the weatherpack rubber back on over the metal connectors. I suppose I could try hooking it back up and just put some silicone in there or something. Option b us to stop by napa and get a whole new connector for both sides with fresh weatherpacks.
You might check out that spray sealant called Flex-seal they advertise on TV I have used it on a couple of things and it works well, tape off the area's you don't want the stuff on.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 AM
15 Year Member

Good news and bad. Today I finished the passenger side. Ended up building a new connector for the wheel speed sensor with a connector kit from Racetronix.

The downside is, when I went to install the new lug nuts, I found something interesting out. It appears the bolt pattern is not correct. The lug nuts will fit in the first few holes, bit the 3rd hole gets tight, the 4th is very tough, and the 5th is impossible to even get in the hole.

Looking at my old lugs, it appears it had always been out of whack. The contact patch on the seats is only on one side and the side of the lug nut on that side (inner) is corroded from contact with the wall. I dunno how I didn't pick up on it sooner.

So for now, I've got one wheel back on with the double wheel spacers (it seems like this allows just enough deflection with the new studs to allow the nuts to start, and I put the spare on the passenger side

I needed new tires anyways, so it looks like it's time for tires and wheels. At least that'll be an easy swap. Now to get to looking at what's available...

Old 12-29-2015, 05:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

This is a bit confusing with the Lugs, but a few years back when I switched my wheels out.
I got the diamond cut style off a 6th gen Monte but they wouldn't clear the calipers in the front so I had to put spacers on, I got a spacer that had lugs and lug holes so you attach it and tighten up the thing with the existing lugs then attach the wheel with the spacer lugs. Seems to work so far.
Not sure if this would work in your case but I tried the double spacer and had no success, and didn't want to put in the longer lugs, this was more work than I wanted to do.
This is an interesting thread I enjoy your dedication. When I do some type of project it always seems I have to rebuild something as well. If it was easy I guess everyone would be doing it.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM
15 Year Member

I do know what kind of spacers you're talking about. Those would likely work fine to adapt these to fit. The down side is that I'm not super crazy about the wheels anyways.

I got them years ago for $250 used with tires. I ended up having to buy 2 new tires since they had a bunch of pinholes (too close to patch) in two of them.

Now, they really need new tires all around, and realizing the bolt pattern issue, I just can't justify putting more money into them. At the time, they were a huge upgrade from my old looking chrome 16s, but as happens to many people - my style has changed a bit over the years. So I think it'll work better if I just start from scratch and get something completely different.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Perfect time to catch this minor problem, before you really put any power to the wheels over an extended period. Who knows perhaps a problem would have manifested itself at just the wrong time.

LOL, seems like the Universe knows how to spend our money for us, on these damn cars...

Will be interesting to see what your new taste for wheels is. From the way you do your builds, absolutely gorgeous, I would think your new wheels will be pretty trick looking.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 12-29-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 PM
15 Year Member

So I haven't messed with the monte much as my focus has been on finishing up the vette blower and getting the grand prix back together after a minor incident.

I ended up picking up some wheels yesterday for the monte. I was having a hard time with finding exactly which wheels I wanted, so I decided just to get something for the interim. I picked up a set of 07 impala ss 18" wheels with tires. I know they're not the prettiest wheels, but they were dirt cheap with usable tires and will at least get me back on the road while it's still nice out. I'll shoot for picking out some aftermarket wheels and better tires this summer.

I'll post up some pics once I've got them on.