Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Anyone ever deal with the Intermediate steering shaft (clicking, clunking steering)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Anyone ever deal with the Intermediate steering shaft (clicking, clunking steering)

I have been trying EVERYTHING to find out about "noises" , "clicking", "clunking feeling" when I steer ALL my GM cars /trucks..... Ever owned from 2000 up... Well, I have did everything, checked everything, lubed everything, had my CV joints checked, Stabilizing bars, you name it... No one could find or tell me the issue.. NOT one.. Well, I did an all nighter on the "Net" and found that almost Every SINGLE CAR / TRUCK that GM has produced since around 2000-2007 had a MAJOR ISS (intermediate steering shaft) problem. In both design as well as lube. If your car has (or I guess WILL have) a slight click, clunk, noise when turning your steering wheel (mostly when either the car is at a stop, or slowly doing a hard turn) you will feel this in the steering wheel... I even looked at GMS site and seems like the original ISS were lubed with a grease that didn't work so well, as the design itself was a flaw. They have since address the issue with a new design (one that doesn't require any grease or lube) that works flawless!.. I have read in Many places if you do replace your ISS get the one from NAPA, it's the best out there (about $95) . Also, the old ones need to have the lube replaced or re-lube the ISS with a good long lasting grease so it doesn't happen again... I am gonna do my first (of 3) cars Monday and see if the websites were correct, (or pay a shop to do it for about $2-300, that I do not have just to toss at this) so, gonna tackle this one on my own.. I'll let you know how it "Turns" out (no pun intended..lol) It's the LAST thing to check, like I said, had everything else checked. Seems like GM knew about it but no "recall" was made because its not a safety issue, just an annoying issue, Crossing my fingers on this one.....lol... Thanks.. Mjc...

Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MJClemm
I have been trying EVERYTHING to find out about "noises" , "clicking", "clunking feeling" when I steer ALL my GM cars /trucks..... Ever owned from 2000 up... Well, I have did everything, checked everything, lubed everything, had my CV joints checked, Stabilizing bars, you name it... No one could find or tell me the issue.. NOT one.. Well, I did an all nighter on the "Net" and found that almost Every SINGLE CAR / TRUCK that GM has produced since around 2000-2007 had a MAJOR ISS (intermediate steering shaft) problem. In both design as well as lube. If your car has (or I guess WILL have) a slight click, clunk, noise when turning your steering wheel (mostly when either the car is at a stop, or slowly doing a hard turn) you will feel this in the steering wheel... I even looked at GMS site and seems like the original ISS were lubed with a grease that didn't work so well, as the design itself was a flaw. They have since address the issue with a new design (one that doesn't require any grease or lube) that works flawless!.. I have read in Many places if you do replace your ISS get the one from NAPA, it's the best out there (about $95) . Also, the old ones need to have the lube replaced or re-lube the ISS with a good long lasting grease so it doesn't happen again... I am gonna do my first (of 3) cars Monday and see if the websites were correct, (or pay a shop to do it for about $2-300, that I do not have just to toss at this) so, gonna tackle this one on my own.. I'll let you know how it "Turns" out (no pun intended..lol) It's the LAST thing to check, like I said, had everything else checked. Seems like GM knew about it but no "recall" was made because its not a safety issue, just an annoying issue, Crossing my fingers on this one.....lol... Thanks.. Mjc...

My 04 silverado does that very same thing....Theres no safety issue...
Just annoying if you let it....
You can repack it with grease...But eventually it will return...There is a fix out there thats to replace it with cant remember the name of it..But its made from a different alloy...and its a much better tighter tolerance fit) its about 4 to 5 hundred to get it fixed at the shop..parts and labor.
I have mine on ignore..Since there is no "safety" issue involved...It wont come apart...It certainly doesnt change its steering capeabilitys...

Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM

I've got an 2006 monte and mine does it too just turn up the radio

Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 AM

I see that NAPAs has had a lot of great reviews , it doesnt use any lube at all... about $95 for the part, looked up on "how to rerplace it", doesnt look that bad... think im gonna do it on my black monte first to see how tough it is, if not to bad ill do the others......mjc

Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 AM

Yeah I had my '03 Monte at GM dealer diagnosed and it came back with I.S.S. but it doesn't bug me too much to throw $500 and get it fixed. Annoying though I will admit

Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Anyone have the link on how to do it? I might as well do it while I'm tearing my interior apart this winter.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

here is one link, I know I saw another on here though?

How To - Intermediate Steering Shaft Greasing