Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Anybody try steel wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Anybody try steel wheels?

My stock z34 wheels are looking pretty grim. The clear coat is peeling and parts have a brownish tint that won't come off.

I'm thinking of going "retro" and buying some Cragar 16" black steel wheels. Here is a page with the specs:

Carlisle Tire and Wheel - WheelFit Apllication

Any reason these wouldn't work with my 5th gen?

Andy
'99 Z34

Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO they don't look good on the car, you're better off with rough looking Z34 wheels, in fact I think member Stumpmi is selling his Z34 wheels if you want a new set

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...ncluded-43835/ <-- link

Old 10-19-2013, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member

I realize it would be a different look! I'm looking for the "blacked out" look. My car is black. The wheels are black. I would use black lug nuts. Kinda like the '87 Buick GNX! It wouldn't hurt that the rims are cheap.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Hi 'Andy,
I don't know what the cost is for the steel wheels, but have you consider taking your Z wheels & plastic coat them black ?

I like some rides blacked 'out & I think your Z Monte would look good 'if that's what you are going for ?

Let us know what you decide ? > U R the one that's going to be seeing your Monte the Most > Good Luck
Plastic Dip'em ? Example below

Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Plasti dip is a good alternative. If you like the overall look of your stock wheels but you want a "different" look then plasti dip is a good route. I haven't plasti dipped my wheels before but I have done my ground effects and it gives a very nice look. It is a matte finish (unless you get the glossifier that they have) but it evens out very well and looks really smooth. I think the stock wheels would look good plasti dipped. I personally don't like the wheels you posted, but everyone has a different tastes.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Hey muf, post a pic of your ground effects for me, i wanna do mine yellow with my black/yellow theme. I wonder how much those lil spray holder can things are. im probably gonna try and coat my chrome wheels black before winter time to help against the salt.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Hey muf, post a pic of your ground effects for me, i wanna do mine yellow with my black/yellow theme. I wonder how much those lil spray holder can things are. im probably gonna try and coat my chrome wheels black before winter time to help against the salt.
Here is a thread I made with a bunch of pictures

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...d-monte-45182/

I did it in white first which looked good but was a bit on the bright side, so I sprayed over that with a Metallic aluminum and that is now what I have on my car. All of it cost me about $30 or so in rattle cans. You can buy a kit from them with a spray gun so you can use gallons instead of like 16 oz rattle cans. Rattle cans worked fine for me though. Took about 2 hours with most of that time being prep work. Just make sure you don't spray it on to thick at once because it will run like normal paint. After about 3 solid coats you can start layering it on thicker to help it look smoother. This stuff levels out really nice on it's own though.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Aw dude thats awsome, hows it holding until this day? Maybe I should just get white cause that blaze yellow aint gonna work, it looks like a high lighter yellow kinda. Id have to repaint my badges and calibers to match..

Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM

It holds up really well. I have one spot as you open up my door, on the door sill, where it has peeled just a little. I think it's from either my mom, dad, or brother moving my car and bumping it with there foot or something. But other then that, it has been doing very well. Since then I have wash my car twice and it holds up good to that as well.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member

Well, I decided to try it! The Cragar steel wheels arrived from Summit last week, only $50 apiece, free shipping! The first thing I did was weigh them to compare later with the stock. The steel wheel weighs 25 1/2 lbs. Our stock Z34 wheel weighs 17 pounds. Quite a difference.

All you guys probably know how some aluminum wheels develop slow leaks? Well, I had put "slime" in two of them. My favorite garage that swapped my tires wasn't happy about that. Besides the mess when they de-mounted the tires my guy said he doesn't like Slime because the wheels are always out of balance. He's right, for a while I've had a little shake at certain higher speeds. After mounting the tires on my new steel rims I gave it a drive. Smooth as glass! I'll never use slime or other fix-a-flat again.

Now for the "looks". I need some sort of small wheel cap to cover the ugly center of the front axle and nut and rear rusty center. I'm surprised how few options are out there. I'm probably going to get those "Impala Police" wheel caps on Flea-bay. Then get black lug nuts to finish out the "Look". I'll post pics when I'm done!

Quick Reply: Anybody try steel wheels?