Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Build: The 01 MC SS Sleeper LS4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The 01 MC SS Sleeper LS4

This is the steps I took -

1. Purchased a LS4 power plant complete with ECU/TCU and engine harness from Morad Parts. (Milage 17K miles) Set this power plant onto my 2001 engine cradle and to my suprise the trans mount line right up, so I bolted that right in and adjusted the front engine mounts to center the engine on the cradle. Drilled the 3 new engine mount holes for the front engine mounts.

LS4 5.3 engine and trans with half shafts fitting right into my spindles. Also see front motor mount position on 01 MC cradle.

Completely stripped and cleaned engine compartment ready for 5.3L install.

Notice that the trans mount from the 01 MC cradle lines right up with 06 trans mount. believe it or not I rolled the engine on the cradle under the body with a creeper (see red headrest)

The one modification that needs to be done is to cut a 1-2 inch notch not shown to accomidate for the main pulley bolt head

Used my engine hoist to lift body over engine and cradle (engine still on the ground in this picture)

Engine and cradle bolted in.

2. Purchased the Wiring Harness for the dash, body, and IP fuse box. (all except for dash Wiring Harness from Morad Parts). The best thing about the body wiring harness was that the fuel tank plug to the pump and sending unit plug right in to the 2001 MC SS Fuel tank connection and upon checking operability all systems were go had a half a tank of gas and the fuel pump was pumping when the key was put in the start position. Had to splice into the 2006 MC wiring harness in order to use the 2001 head lights and tail lights also had to splice in electric seats, windows and moon roof, winshield wipers, heated side mirrors, and pop trunk. (downloaded both wiring diagrams for the 01 and 06 MC SS)

Picture depicts the 2006 wiring harness fuel tank connection fitting just like the 2001 wiring harness fuel tank connector.

Notice the IP wiring harness and IP fuse box

3. Purchased 2006 MC SS Steering Column with Key and FOB. (at this point I thought I could at least turn the engine over no go :see next purchase)

Notice 06 MC dash inner-structure, top dash pad and glovebox off 01

4. Purchased Anti Lock Brake computer which completed the start circuit for the system and I could now turn the engine over from the ignition switch in my new steering column. PS I dont know how I got so lucky that the key matched up with the BCM Body Control Module.

In upper right coner see anti-lock brake computer and brake booster pressure sensor which after installed cut off my last DIC code and check engine light. SWEET!!!!!

5. Purchased 2006 MC SS Instrument cluster with 16994 miles on it (Pure LUCK see power plant milage above). also purchased the brushed metal cluster bezel at this time. With the 2006 Inst cluster you have to replace the Dash inner structure which fits with som small mods to the air bag mounting area othe than that all screw holes lin right up. Also purchased 2006 MC SS Shifter, and center console which bolted right in

My 01 MC SS dash before the swap. I'll miss all the gauges!!
Completed dash (2006 MC SS)

To be continued.......

Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great post

Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Chibi

Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow man great job so far !!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

This is awesome. Great job! I'm very happy to see someone do something different. Keep us posted, I can't wait to keep reading.

If you don't mind me asking though... How much has all this run you and how much time have you spent on this project?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM

It's nice to see some actual real info on the swap... I have a bunch of questions

One quick note... the cluster doesn't store the mileage in 06+, it's in the BCM.. that's why the mileage matches

1) Do your airbags work? (meaning, do you get SDM codes?)

2) What doesn't work correctly? Are the things that do not work fixable?

3) You replaced your gas and brake pedals for the drive by wire, correct?

4) Did you replace the entire dash wiring harness? Did you replace the entire body harness (save the front and rear lamp portion)

5) Do you install the amp/etc from the 06+ Monte?

6) Do you have a list of the spliced connections and the wiring colors?

Thanks

BBEngineer

PS: While I am not a big fan of the LS4 swap... Nice work on getting it done!

Last edited by bbengineer; 02-22-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was going to PM you bbengineer on NAIOA to come take a look at this thread, I knew it would be something you would be interested in.

Glad you found it before I jumped on your forum haha

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks... I appreciate it.. I'm glad to be able to actually get some real technical info from someone who actually turned the wrenches

BBEngineer

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

i would like to do some thing simular in the future for me as well. i am glad i have the 7th gen so it would be a little easy to do. but i am glad to see some one wanting to do some thing to there monte to make it uniqu and original i do like the post on the how to do some thing like this

Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Amazing...would you want to sell me the ash tray setup in the front cupholder there from the old dash? lol

Quick Reply: Engine Build: The 01 MC SS Sleeper LS4