Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New to the fourm. Intake manifold went boom boom heres how.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Default New to the fourm. Intake manifold went boom boom heres how.

Hello everyone. My name is josh I'm a little new and haven't been on here in a long time. I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS. thing's been great and has had its issues like any 10 year old car with over 130K on it. OK so my baby 6 months ago threw a engine light cause of a bad cat converter 3rd one on the thing. so it sat for 6 months I know that's not good for a car but It happened I work a lot and I have a 07 focus ST to drive and I haven't had the extra funds to fix all that's wrong with her. SO to the point. I got my Tax return and now I want my monte back on the road. the tires had gone flat from setting so I had it towed to a discount tire. They put all new rubber on her great start to getting it on the road again. Go to pick it up and I'm all exited my baby has new tires and I'm about to drive it for the first time in a long time. Pay for the job go to jump the carlo with my focus. Hook um right, Double check its right (cable are kinda idiot proof) and hook um up. Let the focus run for a while all the lights and radio in the carlo turn on SHE ALIVE!!! I got to turn the key wants to kick over but no dice. Let her set a few more minutes with the Focus hooked up. Again no dice. so I wait....Last time I try sounded like she was gonna turn over and BOOOOM!!!!! my wife ran away it was so loud (kinda funny to see) and I'm wondering WTF just happend....It was so loud the people form discount tire come out. "did your battery just explode" the tire guy says. I say no it looks fine. I notice the engine cover in the back was off its little hook. I take the oil cap off take off the cover and what do I see to my surprise?? A nice crack in my upper intake manifold. not to bad didn't blow apart into chunks just a nice crack. Has this happened to anyone else?? I know the basic's of cars but im not a expert. I change her oil every 4K tranny fluid coolant all that since I bought her in 2006. Ill try to get a pic up of it. My question is am i screwed? car is going to shop as we speak via tow truck and will be looked at tomarrow. Thing is getting a new power steering pump new cat new 02 censor's new pads turned rotors. on top of all that I know have this intake manifold to replace.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 PM

This DID happen to someone one here a few months ago, there was a long thread about it. I'd have to search for it.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KJRich
This DID happen to someone one here a few months ago, there was a long thread about it. I'd have to search for it.

I've heard of this happenig a couple times before....

Upper intake manifold went BOOM! ( 1 2)

Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

here is another related to jump starting after sitting for a long period of time!

2001 Monte Carlo Explosion ( 1 2)

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks Chris, I didn't know if I could find it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 PM

The dreaded IMB! (Intake Manifold Boom) it happened to me as I was trying to jump the car as well. The theory some have come up with, and I certainly agree after seeing the results, is that the vacuum lines to the fuel pressure regulator get filled up with gas from unsuccessful starting attempts. The fuel already in the IM doesn't have a place to go and boom, there goes the weasel. Replace it with an aluminum from an L26.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

I've got like 4 of those laying around if you need one. I have 2 L26 and 2 L36 if you wanted to upgrade or go back stock.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Next time you are going to have your car sit for a long time, perhaps a battery tender, fuel stabilizer and some oil squirted in the engine??

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks For The Tip My Monte Been Sittin In garage all Winter.. Once Some Nice weather comes ill throw Small batter charger on for few hours and put some fuel stabilizer IN..

Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

It probably also did not help having a clogged cat (prevents exhaust gases from properly moving).

I've jumped 3800's so far successfully with no boom. But as stated earlier, the more you try to crank, the more it's moving fuel and vapors in that could ignite.

Quick Reply: New to the fourm. Intake manifold went boom boom heres how.