Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

Ready for Summer Mods…

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 02:50 PM
1 Year Member
Default Ready for Summer Mods…

I bought this 2001 Monte SS last year. It was bone stock with less than 1000 miles. It now has a little over 7900 miles. I’ve cautiously added some modifications while maintaining the original vibe. The mods. include:
LED bulbs (exterior and interior);
Michelin Defender tires;
3M IR (heat reduction) tint;
Weathertech Sunroof Wind Deflector;
K&N air intake;
Thornton Chip Tuner.
I’m really pleased with the results.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, that Monte is like brand new CLEAN! What is the story on how you found one that has been preserved with ONLY 1000 miles on it? What is the history?

Second, I looked up that "Thornton Chip Tuning". I admit, I am skeptic if that is really doing anything. Typically to tune of modify the PCM, you have to send it out OR have someone connect to the car and re-program it. That Thornton item is claiming to plug in and just go. If that is the case it is most likely doing one of two things:
1. - Nothing (maybe some neat flashing lights and maybe bluetooth readouts to your phone)
2. - Sending the PCM commands to make small changes.

If you never saw Mighty Car Mods (a couple of guys in Australia), check it out. They are great. And that Thornton thing made me think about this video:

Old 04-26-2022, 05:24 PM
1 Year Member

I share your skeptical view on chip tuners, but I wanted to see for myself. I got this one on sale and will update if the results are significant.

I found this Monte on Auto Trader after searching various online sites for months. It was bought new by an older guy who got sick and died soon after. His widow didn’t sell it until last year. I was actually looking for an early 2000s Camaro when I found this car. I bought it with the intent of flipping it, but decided it was a keeper.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice, you are one fortunate individual, able to come across that old of a Monte with 1K on it. Well you know how smooth they ride by now with the few k miles you added to it. Think that is why I kept mine, they just ride so nice, handle the road so well. You got lucky, think you have the more rare color too, very pretty blue for sure. Like the mods, tasteful and beneficial for their intended purpose. Like how clean you are keeping the engine bay, that's what you need to do, keep it squared away, nicey!!

Old 04-28-2022, 08:00 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks. I am impressed with the ride…. extremely smooth, largely because of the length. I love the American luxury coupe class of cars. My wife and I have previously owned a Cougar and a Thunderbird, both nice cars. I must say the Monte is my favorite of them. I drove it quite a bit the first six months, but have dialed that back to keep it a low mileage vehicle.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:24 PM

10 Year Member

You will have to share any info about that "chip". It would be interesting if you had anything that could read data from the PCM to see if it was actually making a difference.

I still think that is a very impressive find! Looking at the engine bay shot, I can tell it had the valve cover recall done and impressive the appearance of the fuel rail (those usually discolor). How is the interior? I would assume just as nice!

Old 04-28-2022, 10:14 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks. The interior looks great… like new.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You will have to share any info about that "chip".
I guarantee its the same thing I tried back in the day. Just a resistor in a fancy box that you wire to the MAF and makes the car run rich. It makes the exhaust smell good, thats about all. lol

Old 05-03-2022, 10:19 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rb4460blue
Thanks. The interior looks great… like new.
DUUUUDE! That car really is super minty! Can you send over some of that new car smell? It has to smell like a brand new car still! Does it???
21 year old car. In the state of Ohio, 4 more years and it can get Historical Plates and is now a "classic". Man, I hope that is NOT a daily driver! That is a rare piece! LUCKY FIND! I am a little jelly!!!

Old 05-04-2022, 06:11 AM
1 Year Member
Default Gentle use!

In four years in Texas, I can get either antique (restricted use) or classic (with no restrictions) plates in four years. I plan get the classic plates, but continue to put limited miles (currently 30-40 miles a week) on her. I will retire her to garage queen status before 15000 miles. I’ll get to work on the smell issue ASAP! 😎

Quick Reply: Ready for Summer Mods…