Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

too many hid bulb decisions ... need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 AM
Unhappy too many hid bulb decisions ... need help

allright ... thanks to everyones advice/ recommendations here i know im going to get the cold air intake from CAI ... and have even narrowed down the muffler/ exhaust modification i plan on doing based on other peoples cars and work ...

but seriously ... what is with the HID kits available online ... i cant even narrow down a single supplier/ retailer that everyone agrees is more reputable or cheaper ...

even bulb sizes, one sight said i need an H3 ... another H11 - as i only want to do the low beam/ regular night time lights first and then do the fog lamps or both at once if they are not overly expensive ive seen anywhere from $35 - $150 per pair of bulbs/ ballasts

any suggestions on color btw ... i want the brightest possible white ( possibly a little blue ) without having to modify any electrics or do anything but swap cables and clips while keeping the stock lamp housing ...

any help or pointers would be really appreciated guys ... car is a 2006

oh - and to make sure its not said ... i tried searching first, otherwise i wouldnt have asked :p

Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 AM

I don't think you're going to be able to get everyone to agree on a single retailer. Everyone's personal experiences are different. DDM Tuning has some nice kits that everyone on my other forum has had good results with. $35 for a 35W kit and $45 for a 55W. Can't help ya on the bulb type though someone else will have to pitch in on that.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits

I would suggest 6000K for a very bright white. I do believe it will have the ever so slightest hue of blue in it too. 8000K would be your next option for blue tint and those are pretty blue. Here's the 8000Ks that were on my car for reference.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:04 AM

^^^ yup he's right. if u want ultra bright white to blind people and possibly cops go with 6k. but if u still want really bright with that blue hint, 8k is the way to go. i got 8k and i love it. u cant go wrong with either. i got mine for $75 and they are well worth it.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM

Mine were also in projectors designed for HIDs so they wouldn't blind anyone. Its a lot of work but I recommend it because its both safer for other drivers and less of a chance of a ticket for overly bright headlights.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by yutzybrian
Mine were also in projectors designed for HIDs so they wouldn't blind anyone. Its a lot of work but I recommend it because its both safer for other drivers and less of a chance of a ticket for overly bright headlights.
hey pontiac guy, thanks for reminding us that our 6th gen montes never had projector lights made for em

Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by nighthawk626
hey pontiac guy, thanks for reminding us that our 6th gen montes never had projector lights made for em
Hey chevy guy, I had to hand make mine because the Bonneville doesn't have ANY aftermarket stuff :p

Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by yutzybrian
because its both safer for other drivers and less of a chance of a ticket for overly bright headlights.
if i get pulled over for overly bright headlights hes more than likely going to write me for dim/ shaded taillights so ill take my chance or just niteshade a bit if they are that bright ...

thanks yutzy

Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

bonnevilles are for women!!!

the install is pretty simple tho, i have 10k and havent had cop trouble.

jk on the bonneville joke lol

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM

does anyone with an 06-07 ... know what size bulb the lowbeams are, and the fog lights ... do we need any extra harnesses or switches with the DDM kits ????

EDIT - ok i found the bulb size is H11 for both the low beams and fogs ...

Last edited by drjesus616; 08-15-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM

im a little late. h11 for fog and low. i personally am not running the harnesses. im running the ddm tuning kit with the 35w 5k bulbs in the fogs and the lows and have had no problems.

Quick Reply: too many hid bulb decisions ... need help