Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

tint tail lights.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Question tint tail lights.

i know this is a highly asked question as well so please dont shoot me. . anyways about 2 weeks ago i had my tail lights tinted with like a vinyl at a custom auto store.. long story short it looked like S* and i got a refund. im thinking night shades but my spray paint skills arnt the best. and i see ALOT of mixed results some look like crap and others look amazing! im also thinking tail light covers. i have headlight covers already and love those. i got priced to get my tails painted with that black and clear coat mix procedure and thats 130$! . so whats your take i have seen a few nice night shade setups on here maybe one of you can give me a good tutorial!

thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would do covers if your unsure, then you can always pull it off too

Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 PM

IMO i would go with the taillight covers because if you ever get harassed from police or inspection time then its that simple to take off.

However I have seen some nightshades come out very well like you said, and others not so much. The key is mostly patience and consistency. I have done these on small parts like reverse lights, my friends cav headlights and my trucks tails and they came out pretty decent! Also you should only need one can and get some clear coat to protect it.

Here is the write up i followed: VHT NightShade Application

Like i said IMO i would perfer covers because they have a nice glossy finish, they are both consistant, and you can take them off on demand.

If you choose nightshades remember not to go too dark, i think the can recommends no more than 3 coats so i would stay in that range (I did for 2 of my 3 projects and they came out perfect darkness). I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I can nightshade them for you

Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 PM

nite shades. I messed up at first, just remove that with paint remover. Spray slowly and it'll turn out. Easily removed by paint remover if you really need to.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM

im leaning towards covers right now cause they are only 55$ but night shades are alot cheaper.. Dmjr i appreciate your help man. i have seen that write up before a long time ago! thanks for bringing it back! just gonna look over a few write ups. i have seen some local cars with nite shades and its completely flat colored and blotchy.. and tail light covers are simple.. i never get harassed around here. cops are pretty chill down in the sunshine state!

Enzo i probably would if you where local! but i kinda need my tail lights to go too and from work.. and i have no other way of transportation :/

Old 06-22-2011, 10:15 PM

go to ur local hobby shop and buy the black tint spray to "spray tint the plastic windows" in your RC nitro car. that **** works the best its 6 bucks a can and one can did my tail lights...pics can be seen on my car domain page check it out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/392201...lo-lt-coupe-2d

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

if you do the niteshade, don't use paint thinner, i've heard of bad reactions with that and the plastic on your tail lights. just a heads up

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 PM

No problem, here is what 3 coats on the reverse lights look like...

Attached Thumbnails tint tail lights.-hpim0699.jpg   tint tail lights.-tinted-reverse-lights-2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

There's a set already done for sale on here https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...n-parts-28987/

Quick Reply: tint tail lights.