Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Supercharger plenum cover...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Default Supercharger plenum cover...

For those of you that may have noticed what happens to our plenum covers, I finally took some time to correct the faded and peeling paint on my supercharged 3800 series II plenum cover.

I ordered a vinyl kit from PYFC.com/reflectiveconcepts:

I went with SILVER striping, SILVER "supercharged" emblem, and RED "3800 Series II" emblem.

This is the plenum cover before, dark, dismal, faded and peeling :

Here is the the plenum cover after being cleaned with alcohol and sanded down:

The first round of vinyl:

The next round:

and one more:

It then needed some armor all (or equal to that, I used Meguiers rubber and vinyl cleaner to bring the shine back):

The finished product:

I am MORE than satisfied with the results! The cover looks BRAND new, and looks loads better than that unsightly peeling, faded mess! It was super easy to do, and I'm sure a lot of members will want to do this as well. For a quick 40 bucks and a few hours, it's transformed! Now eventually I plan on painting it, but for now, this gives it the "BRAND NEW" stock look that I want at this point. As I said, I'm MORE than satisfied with this look for now and i'm not at all embarassed now to open the hood and show off the clean, shiny engine bay that lies beneth.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks good, but I am still confused. Why is your engine cover different from mine - another Jr. edition. Of course, I'm refering to before the paint and decals. I might have to make a poll to figure out who has which style because I'm confused...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM

Well, what number is yours?? I'm #2627, which is a pretty high number. Maybe the later numbers where given this cover. I know TAZ is number #544 or so... maybe ask him and indeed have the other DALE Jr. members show off their plenum covers. i don't have the answer for you... I'm unaware if maybe my ORIGINAL cover may have been damaged or ruined, and maybe this is the replacement??

Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

someone should make a thread to post engine covers

Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

my bad, forgot to say, the cover looks sweet!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Engine cover threads have been done before, but it wasn't until resently that I notice the variant. I have no idea which car # I have - no COA

Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Here is mine, still stock, only losing color on ends of the red stipes so far. I may custom paint a scene or something on it in the future and if anyone else wants theirs done maybe just check out my custom hand painted artwork thread in the off topic area.

Lisa

Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Lisa,
do you do all your painting with a brush and free hand? Have you ever done any airbrushing?? You do some VERY nice work!! If you check out my thread, "Monte's first car show" im the "General Monte Carlo discussion" you'll see I have some unique airbrushing that was done for me on my ROUSH Mustang... I do plan possibly in the future doing something with my Monte Carlo, but just have not decided on what exactly to do...

Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by #2627
Lisa,
do you do all your painting with a brush and free hand? Have you ever done any airbrushing?? You do some VERY nice work!! If you check out my thread, "Monte's first car show" im the "General Monte Carlo discussion" you'll see I have some unique airbrushing that was done for me on my ROUSH Mustang... I do plan possibly in the future doing something with my Monte Carlo, but just have not decided on what exactly to do...
Yes, it is all freehand with a paint brush. I love doing all the little fine details. Thank you for the compliment! I may learn to airbrush so I can do backgrounds and large areas faster. I will sheck out your thread. Well, let me know if you decide to have something painted on or in anything. I paint on other stuff too. I do love a challenge, lol!

Lisa

Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I repainted mine with caliper paint. The red was the only part that was rubbing off - the silver is still in tact. I guess I could touch up the 3800

Quick Reply: Supercharger plenum cover...