Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What Vehicle Is The Biggest Disgrace To Its Company’s History?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM
3 Year Member
Default What Vehicle Is The Biggest Disgrace To Its Company’s History?

Source link: What Vehicle Is The Biggest Disgrace To Its Company

Many proud automakers have gone out and produced some of the worst cars ever built. It's just so easy to slip into a comfortable and destructive malaise.<!-- %JUMP:More &raquo;% -->
No car was more of a disgrace than the last Chevy Monte Carlo. The same company that brought style to the masses, affordable automatic transmissions, arguably the greatest pickup truck ever built, and the small block V8 made this turd: a slow, bland, front-drive coupe to pander to Nascar fans. It should be remembered as a shame, and parked outside of GM headquarters to remind them of their bankruptcy-inducing hubris.
What do you think is the most shameful car in a respected car company's history?
(QOTD is your chance to address the day's most pressing automotive questions and to experience the opinions of the insightful insiders, practicing pundits, and gleeful gearheads that make up the Jalopnik commentariat. If you've got a suggestion for a good Question of the Day, send an email to tips at jalopnik dot com.)
(Hat tip to crown victor victoria!)
Photo Credit: Chevrolet

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 AM

"Opinions are like rear `ends, everybody has one, but some just really `STINK more then others 4-Sure "

Everyone has a right to their opinions, but I believe many abuse their freedoms to speak & to post...If I don't like something, or a vehicle (?) I don't buy it, or look at it I truly believe that some people would have nothing to say in their life, `if it was not negative..."To each their own, & life goes on until it ends 4`all...Peace/Out `amen

p.s. `Spade, this should be a interesting thread 2 see what our member's post ? *Sadly, there are many that
love to throw stones, but they don't look in2 their own mirror of life, because it would break & fall apart (lol)

p.s.s. `aaaah, the Freedom of `Speech + the Right to bear `Arms I think that some should be careful what they are speaking about, because they never know who maybe aiming @ them

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with what Space said. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But do we have to trash the Chevy Monte Carlo on a Monte Carlo forum? Don't the mopar, ford, and import forums do that enough?

This is a fwd thing. I've heard it a million times. If the 6th gens were rear wheel drive, people would say they are the greatest cars ever built.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM
3 Year Member

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I never said I agreed with the article. I found it looking for articles on Monte Carlos (more for G-Body Montess) on Jalopnik and came across this. My Sister had I think it was an 00 Monte, and it was a good car.

I do think that GM got lazy with design changes with many models in their line up throughout the late 90s up to date.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Thanks `Spade for your clarification & that you do `think (you did not post your opinion in your first post)

I just don't think any member that owns & loves their Monte Carlo will enjoy reading that article, but it is your right to post & let others know about what one (1) persons opinion was on another site

.................................... .

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

that's ridiculous. there are some good examples posted by members on the site tho. The Cadillac Cimmeron, the Catera the mustang II, the 4cyl camaros of the 80's and the low HP corvettes. The one thing everyone needs to remember is all these were made to hit a certain market.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Hi Member's, I was interested in the background of the person (Editor) that wrote the above article contained in the above link

Below is the information that I found on
QUESTION OF THE DAY posted on JUL 30, 2012
Subject: What Vehicle Is The Biggest Disgrace To Its Company’s History?
by Raphael Orlove

Raphael Orlove's Experience
Presently Editorial Assistant for Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

Research Intern
California Auto Museum, Sacramento, CA
June 2010 – August 2010 (3 months)

Conducted research for upcoming exhibits, coordinated the development of a museum archive and outreach network, and helped in reorganizing the museum layout and thematic emphasis.
Lab Assistant
University of California, Davis Department of Land and Water Resources
May 2009 – September 2009 (5 months)

Collected, analyzed, and organized data from multiple projects on water use in plants, integrated findings with the full-time researchers, and conducted research for an upcoming grant proposal.
Research Intern
University of California, Davis Plug-In Hybrid Research Center
May 2008 – September 2008 (5 months)

Drew on historical sources and archival methods to support development of survey instruments for an Institute of Transportation Studies research group on transportation-oriented climate change efforts. Drafted and conducted interviews of the staff on the state of technology-based climate change initiatives. Analyzed their answers with a history of emissions legislation in California, Japan, and the U.S. in a report to the Center.
Resources Intern
Center for Jewish History, Ackman & Ziff Genealogical Institute, New York, NY
Nonprofit; 51-200 employees; Museums and Institutions industry
February 2008 – May 2008 (4 months)

Catalogued archival documents and data entry on library software. Gathered information on new users and facilitated their use of online databases and the institute’s microfilm filing system.

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I would think the Buick Reatta & the Cadillac Allanté would be a bigger disgrace to GM than the Monte could ever be

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

How about the fuego? The"Fiesta"? The delorean? The fiero?
Shall I go on? hehehehhee

If anyone wants to"BASH" the MonteCarlo...I think they should be BANNED from MCF forever!!!!

Besides "IF" the MonteCarlo was such a crappy vehicle.....

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY OF THEM "STILL" ON THE ROAD TODAY??????

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-06-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Hi `StumpMI, I don't think Member `Spade was bashing the Monte Carlo, he was just posting a article he found on the web.
If you look at the writers background, I think you will understand the source of his lack of auto knowledge. I think that the writer was just trying to justify his position as a azzistant editorial writer for Jalopnik "I don't think he has the background to judge/rate or comment on any vehicle(s)

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: What Vehicle Is The Biggest Disgrace To Its Company’s History?