Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What draws you to gatherings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Default RE: What draws you to gatherings?

Good people is the number one draw for me. Being around people who have the same desire to enjoy their car. Living in a town of 10,000 people there is unfortunatley no gatherings. I wish there were more around here. Guess I have to finish restoring my old 56 ford f100, because the local hot rod scene is jumping. I plan to one day make it out to chicago for one of your gatherings. Nothing like a road trip in the monte.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not just the people, but seing what the people have done to individualize their cars. Mot many of the Montes I seen this summer at the meets were pure stock. SOMETHING had been done on almost ALL of them to make them theirs. Except of course the few classics which were all stock, like this one from the Elgin meet this summer, and Cort's Montes.

But those are few and far between, also. Nothing against them, cuz they're GREAT to see and show off! But like posted somewhere earlier on another thread, "Mine was stock when I bought it!"
Mod' on, Bro's!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 AM

If there is an entry fee, the show had BETTER have trophys. And the fee should be reasonable, like $10.
We have attended both shows with fees and none. Benefit shows are the only shows we have attended with fees, such as a local show with a memorial scholorship fund going to local high schoolers. Nice little show, about 40 cars, including the West Michigan Camaro Club.
On the other hand, the runs we have been on with the Solstice have all had fees to cover expenses associated with the events, and no trophys, other than the last one, the Solstice/Sky SE Regionals, where there was judging in about 10 categories like best under hood, cleanest trunk, best polished exhaust, and others.
Profits from all these runs, including auctions, have been donated to a breast cancer research fund, not sure of the name. Been $1,000+ on each of them so far.
Sponsers ar something to look for, also. Such as a local Chevy dealer, auto parts chains, etc. Should be good for some freebies.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 AM

The chance to make new friends.
Awards are a total joke, what do they mean.
You got judges that don't like certain cars.
On the other hand, the opposite way.
Too critical, not critical enough.
Trailer queens don't belong other than in a trailer queen division.
Professional resto's don't belong and apply the same thing as above.
What is stock?
One mod, 2 or three or none.
Original paint or professional redone etc.

I got a people choice because all the people I was meeting for the first time added me as 1 of 3 they could.

Another time I didn't get one, but one other Monte did in the factory class and even he said mine was so much nicer and cleaner than his.

I wouldn't let it bother you and take it with a grain of salt if you did.

Only thing that matters is, DO YOU LIKE IT!!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i always enjoy seeing old cars, hearing the stories about when they were knew and our parents ripped and teared with them much like me and my friends do with the monte's and the mustangs we all own.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM

I always enjoy seeing cards similar to those I've owned down thru the years, especially the early ones, like my 1st, a 64 Impala SS, or #2, a 65 Comet 289 hi-po 4 speed, among others