Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg

Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg...Yes, a future SpaceRide
Member's would you buy one ? What do you think ? Post your thoughts/opinions....I'd drive one : ) Wonder if I can get a SuperCharger

China launches $600 car that will get 258 mpg
This $600 car is no toy and is ready to be released in China next year.
The single seater aero car totes VW (Volkswagen) branding.
Volkswagen did a lot of very highly protected testing of this car in Germany, but it was not announced until now where the car would make it's first appearance.
The car was introduced at the VW stockholders meeting as the most economical car in the world is presented.
The initial objective of the prototype was to prove that 1 liter of fuel could deliver 100 kilos of travel.

Spartan interior doesn't sacrifice safety
The aero design proved essential to getting the desired result. The body is 3.47 meters long and just 1.25 meters wide, and a little over a meter high. The prototype was made completely of carbon fiber and is not painted to save weight.

The power plant is a one cylinder diesel positioned ahead of the rear axle and combined with an automatic shift controlled by a **** in the interior.

Safety was not compromised as the impact and roll-over protection is comparable to the GT racing cars.

$600 car gets 258 mpg
The Most Economic Car in the World will be on sale next year:

Better than Electric Car – 258 miles/gallon: IPO 2010 in Shanghai
  • This is a single seated car
  • From conception to production: 3 years and the company is headquartered in Hamburg , Germany ..
  • Will be selling for 4000 yuan, equivalent to US$600..
  • Gas tank capacity = 1.7 gallons
  • Speed = 62 – 74.6 Miles/hour
  • Fuel efficiency = 258 miles/gallon
  • Travel distance with a full tank = 404 miles

Volkswagen 258 mpg car on sale in 2010
Look, it's a Space Rider : )
For more info: SeriousWheels

Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Yep. Would buy it in a heartbeat. Nice and easy on the wallet.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4FQ...layer_embedded

Click above to see VW on the highways...
Watch it burn Rubber LOL
Hold On, Fasten your Seat belt
Found a 2 seater on the Web

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoPowtSAXsY
^^^^Click 2 C two seater vid ^^^^

Attached Thumbnails Volkswagen's 0 car gets 258 mpg-vw4.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 09-29-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 AM

2010 Monte Of The Year

I guess I would have to try it on for size first. I am 6' 4" and 230 lbs. If I fit, I would buy.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 AM

Hi `Greg, Yes Sir, U R a Big Dude 4 Sure : ) WoW...I wish I could be your size...I'm about 148 & 5'9 on my tip toes : ) I'd look `up 2 U : )

I will believe it when I see it & drive `it...I don't know how they can sell it for only $600 US Dollars > >?

I think it would be as safe or safer then a Bike (?) and I think it would be a great Pizza delievey ride I've been look'in 2 C if I can install a Surf Board Rack ~> LOL

Time will tell, but if the price of gas goes over $5 a gal, I am sure many will become interested....At that price `Greg, we could race each other all day : ) and still have $'s for Mod's : )
I will look forward to seeing one, and driving one, but I still rather dream about owning/driving the new ZR-1 ....4-Sure : )

Last edited by Space; 09-29-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 AM

I saw this make the internet rounds before. The price is not true; more like $26K. Here's a link with more info: http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/v/vwl1.htm

Very interesting car though...

Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM

...Thanks `Dave for the find/thread link..
...I knew it was 2 good 2 be true
No Way would I pay that price 4 one : (
It was on the Morning news & they stated that it was only $600 US Dollars ~> They also were misinformed : (
I do like the concept of getting that many miles per gallon, but not for $26K.....I will go back to my Corvette Dreams : )
Thanks `Dave for all your contributions to the MCF...We appreciate.....

What is the MPG on your motor cyle ?
Do you ride it all year ?
Wish you & readers a Happy `Day ~> EnJoy

Last edited by Space; 09-29-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Yeah, a lot of 'too good to be true' things end up in print, especially on the internet. I usually check out Snopes.com or Truthorfiction.com to check the validity. Often, as in this case, there are partial-truths; some erroneous info gets mixed in with the truth.

My bike gets great mileage, especially considering it's a hot performer. I average about 48mpg and that's with rather spirited riding. It's a mid-sized sport touring bike, 750cc's, so not too big an engine by today's standards. But with just me, no passenger on back, it has enough power to plaster a bug-eatin' smile on my face all day. I always wear a full-face helmet though, so no bugs get eaten... It's only with a passenger on back that I notice it's not a big engine.

I commute about 90% of the time Spring-Summer-Fall. Then about 60-80% in winter depending on weather. I don't mind cold weather, but I don't mess with icy roads. Here in northern AL, we get more ice on early morning roads than you'd think. The great mileage from the bike makes it possible to drive my '90 Jag XJ-S (5.3L V12) on the off days. That car does NOT get good mileage. My wife uses our Monte as her daily driver. Someday it will be mine, all mine...

Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 AM

...Thanks `Dave for your reply & post...That's decent miles per gallon compared to your massive 12 cylinder Jag Engine.. I've rode a 750cc or it maybe a 800 cc Honda Shadow that one of the senior citizen's owns...It's a blast to drive & I love his tuned exhaust sounds of this twin V, but it sure does not have the power of yours : )...

Thanks also for your sites that you check to see if things are true or not...

Yes, everyone has to check out everything I post, or smoke something to understand them LOL (j/k)
Wish U & readers a `Happy ~> EnJoy

Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 AM

2010 Monte Of The Year

That hurt to see that it wasn't true. I was looking forward to getting it. Not for 26K though.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg