Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

shop bent valves

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default shop bent valves

Most of you here probably know my son is into Hondas. He took his head in to get it machined, or whatever they do to them. He's building ANOTHER motor. Anyway, they call him back and tell him he has 8 bent valves. They were not bent when he took it in, but has not real proof, other than me and his friends. There are no marks on the pistons and they were flush with the head. They told him he probably did it when he took it out. BS. He's taken out plenty of them to know how to do it.

Took it to another shop to get the valves fixed. He wasn't letting the first place do it since they wouldn't own up to screwing it up. The guy at the new shop said if he took it out the way he said, there was no way he could've bent them.

His $60 job has now turned into close to $300. He thinks the first shop might have thought it came off a different motor and used the wrong size tool on it.

That first shop has been here for years, you would think they would be reputable, but I guess not, or at least not anymore. All I know is they probably just lost a lot of business because my son knows a lot of guys that have a lot of work done. He said the new place he took it to was really nice, the guy even took him back in the work area and showed him around. Said it looked very clean and professional. The other place is kinda dumpy but like I said, it has been here for years, my step-father used to take stuff to them all the time - but that was years ago.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Hi Becky,
"Who can we Trust" ?
Word of mouth can be the best advertisment, or the worst.

We all learn as we travel our `journey,
some lessons R just more Expensive then others.

Hope the latest shop gets everything fixed correctly,
and your son can again Max `out his Vtec Honda.
What's the location of the first shop ?

Last edited by Space; 04-14-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Photobucket

Swede's Brake and Valve in Waco.
I can't remember the name of the new place. He told me but I hadn't heard of them before, don't know how long they've been here either.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM

Swede's Bad Brake & Bad Valve `Jobs, in Waco.

Latest new From Waco, TX,
Swede's may close due to no business
lol ~LOL
(j/k)

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Becky, is your son sure this is the same head her took to them originally? That it wasn't swapped with a head in worse shape?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Photobucket

That's a good possiblity RJ. He's at work so I can't ask him 'til this evening. But how would you ever prove it?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM

If his head is original from the factory, the numbers should match with other numbers on the car no? or theres gotta be something that links a specific engine/head to the actual car? Maybe even just a year "tag"

I may be way off here, so please correct me if i am lol

Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Photobucket

I don't have a clue, but I'll sure tell/ask him.

I told him I'd go down there with him yesterday. Course he doesn't want momma holding his hand, LOL. Probably just as well because we both (or at least me) might be behind bars. On the phone the guy called him "son". He told him not to call him son as he wasn't his son. The guy told him he'd call him whatever he wanted and then hung up on him. Real mature and real professional of the CO-OWNER.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Some people shouldn't be allowed to talk to other human beings hehe

Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Photobucket

Not sure some people can even be classified as human beings.

Quick Reply: shop bent valves