Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

For the Rich or 'Dreamers > Top Gear with the Mclaren P1 Vid's! = =

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool For the Rich or 'Dreamers > Top Gear with the Mclaren P1 Vid's! = =

Let's get one thing straight - we don't just watch Top Gear for the powerslides or the antics of its three hosts, we watch it for the cars, and the way TG's crack film team makes said cars look. Put in the simplest terms possible, Top Gear has the chops to elevate its reviews a form of art. It's easy to forget when watching the finished product, though, that those gorgeous films wouldn't be possible if it weren't for a car, some cameras and a set.

Knowing that, this video is quite interesting. It's a behind-the-scenes look at TG's review of the McLaren P1, one of the three hybrid hypercars that's burst onto the automotive scene this year. It's for the upcoming season (or series, as our friends in the UK call it) of Top Gear, and will see Jeremy Clarkson tackle the legendary Spa Francorchamps where, naturally, it's raining. The video shows both a blacked-out Mercedes-Benz ML-Class - rather than TG's traditional Range Rover - and a helicopter, attempting to keep up with the black P1.

And while this is behind the scenes, it doesn't seem very official, so don't expect any commentary from Clarkson or the rest of the TG team (although you can hear the Jezza's yammering at the start of the video). As for the car, if you've watched Clarkson's Twitter, you'll have seen, in between his complaints about Americans and having to travel to Belgium, this gem about the new P1:

*First Vid is less then 3 minutes
** 2nd Vid is less then 20 Minutes.
Buckle 'Up & EnJoy

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-16-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Default Let sitting with the Engine Running "Bonus"

Bonus 'Vid
Let sitting with the engine running ?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Cool 2014 McLaren P1: $1.15M< WoW 'We's 4>$ure

OFFICIAL PHOTOS AND INFO
arrow
2014 McLaren P1: $1.15M, F1-Style Tech, and Limited to 375

The successor to the iconic F1 has arrived.

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Inflation has been kind to McLaren supercar buyers. When we tested the iconic F1 in 1994, the price was a then-staggering $815,000. The same car bought new would cost $1.34 million today. So this $1.15 million P1, the successor to the F1 in both spirit and purpose, seems like a bit of a deal, doesn’t it?
Other comparable items of note: The new car boasts 903 horsepower, can hit 62 mph in less than three seconds, can hit 186 mph in less than 17 seconds, and runs into an electronic wall at 217 mph. The F1 had 618 horsepower, achieved 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, and hit 180 in 20.3 seconds. Top speed was 221 mph, however, proof that not everything improves with time.
But lest you consign the F1 to the dustbin of history, allow us to remind you that it achieved those remarkable feats of speed and acceleration with a BMW-sourced V-12 engine and a six-speed manual. That’s it. The hardware responsible for the P1’s staggering output and performance is a thoroughly modern, McLaren-engineered powertrain that combines the company’s own twin-turbo V-8 (as seen in the MP4-12C), a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic, and hybrid components.
That’s Power
The engine and electric motor must work in tandem to deliver the full 903 horsepower and 664 lb-ft of torque. The 3.8-liter eight-cylinder produces 727 hp and 531 lb-ft on its own, and has been revised to team harmoniously with the electric portion of the drivetrain. This includes a new block casting that’s stiffer and allows for affixing the electric motor to its left side. New turbos and plumbing have been fitted to deal with the P1’s higher operating requirements and the attendant temperatures; maximum blow measures 34.8 psi. The dual-clutch gearbox features additional cooling beyond that of the unit found in the 12C, and it can be operated manually via paddles.
The 57-pound electric motor can declutch from the driveline, and produces 177 horses and effective torque of 192 lb-ft. In addition to its normal propulsion duties, it helps, McLaren says, “fill in” torque gaps after shifts while the turbos spool up and also aids faster upshifts by providing driveline drag to drop engine speed more quickly.
<a style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(8, 154, 219); text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;" href="http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2014-mclaren-p1-official-photos-and-info-news" target="_self">

The car can move on electric power alone for up to 6.2 miles, and the liquid-cooled, 324-cell battery can be charged either by the electric motor on deceleration or via a wall plug stored in the luggage compartment. (Regenerative braking wasn’t employed to avoid degradation of brake feel.) A special recharging function has been dubbed “pit-lane charging” and juices the battery in 10 minutes using a dashboard “Charge” button that forces the V-8 engine into generator mode. McLaren suggests you’d use this to extend electric-only range—although you’re burning gas while doing so—or, more exciting, to ensure maximum power to lay down a blistering hot lap. Battery-pack capacity and makeup wasn’t supplied, but McLaren says it offers greater continuous power density than any other automotive battery pack and that it was designed to prioritize rapid power delivery over electron storage.
That quick delivery of electricity is key to the P1’s IPAS (Instant Power Assist System) function, which allows the driver, via a steering-wheel-mounted button, to unleash all available electrical power when the accelerator pedal is near or on the floor. Another button on the steering wheel activates an F1-style drag-reduction system (DRS) that keeps the auto-deploying, active rear wing in its place to minimize speed-sapping drag. Maximum available downforce is a claimed 1323 pounds, achieved at 160 mph, and is said to exceed that of any other production road car in history.
That There’s the “Mode” Mode
The car is chock full of modes, Launch, Track, Race, Sport, and E among them. They’re all activated, fittingly, once you depress the “Active” button. They variously enable breakneck getaways, adjust suspension height and firmness, tweak powertrain programming and power delivery, and adjust other sundry chassis settings. Stability control can be fully defeated in Track and Race modes.
Like the F1, the P1 also aims to be an immensely satisfying driver’s car. The electro-hydraulically boosted, Alcantara-wrapped steering whirls through just 2.2 turns from lock-to-lock, ensuring immediate response to any input. The brake hardware includes Akebono-supplied carbon-ceramic discs measuring 15.4 inches up front and 15.0 inches out back. McLaren also says it tuned the anchors to work seamlessly and to provide consistent pedal feedback no matter what the hybrid powertrain is up to. The adjustable suspension, which incorporates a lift mode to avoid speed bumps, is a hydro-pneumatic setup that has separate circuits to independently control body roll and squat/dive. Specially crafted Pirelli P Zero Corsa rubber is wrapped around lightweight 19-inch front and 20-inch wheels forged from a military-grade aluminum alloy.
The MonoCage Is Connected To . . .
The Kevlar and carbon-fiber MonoCage—essentially the backbone of the car—weighs just 198 pounds and incorporates the roof and floor, the roof-mounted air intake, the engine air intake, and the housing for the battery pack and hybrid electronics. To it are attached aluminum front and rear subframes for the engine and suspension components. Weight is said to be less than 3100 pounds dry, and pound-shaving measures include a disdain for carpet and sound deadening—there are neither in the basic P1, although carpet can be specified—ultrathin glass in the greenhouse, and an Inconel exhaust system that checks in at just 37 pounds.
Inside, McLaren allows both occupants the pleasure of climate control, navigation, and a Meridian sound system. Exposed carbon fiber forms the dash, headliner, door panels, door sills, floor, and center console. The fixed-back carbon racing seats slide fore and aft, weigh a scant 23 pounds each, and have “the minimum amount of foam.” For track use, the backs can be re-adjusted from 23 degrees to 32, and there are provisions for six-point harnesses. Three TFT screens are positioned in front of the driver and display different information and themes depending on the drive mode selected. Up to 4.2 cubic feet of stuff can be stored in the front cargo compartment; McLaren suggests you use the area for two helmet bags. There are three cup holders, which, okay.
<a style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(8, 154, 219); text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;" href="http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2014-mclaren-p1-official-photos-and-info-news" target="_self">

When the F1 was actively inspiring fever dreams, it operated in a realm unto itself—it had no competition. In comparison, the P1 has to put up a fight. The Geneva show also sees the introduction of Ferrari's LaFerrari, a hybrid supercar with more more than the P1, namely 950 horsepower, a price tag expected to exceed $1.2 million, and a run of 499 units. A rung down the insanity ladder, Porsche is prepping the 770-hp 918 Spider and its complex hybrid guts for production this September. P1 owners might also consider painting bull’s-eyes on the three guys who now own 740-hp Lamborghini Venenos. Oh, and a bunch of Bugatti Veyrons are still running around, too, although, as they're focused primarily on outright speed, the P1 is sure to decimate any of them on a race course or a snaking mountain road. Indeed, McLaren chief Ron Dennis promises a sub-seven-minute lap time on the Nürburgring Nordschleife: "It will be the fastest car in the world. That includes what has come before and what will come today. I am confident." Take that, Maranello.
The number of P1s built will exceed the 64 non-racing F1s produced by a factor of about six, but with just 375 of this latest hypercar on the way—“to maintain exclusivity,” as if the price doesn’t assure that—you probably ought to call Woking now if you want one. Because we doubt McLaren’s going to inflate the production run. View Photo Gallery

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

SpaceRider:

That's a Great article and vids!
Thanks for shareing!
I love that show!

Yes... I am a Dreamer!!!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM

STUMPMI;576829]SpaceRider:
Thanks for sharing!
I love that show!

Thanks Mod 'David,
Below is a song that Space's grandfather would sing when we were out at 'sea (I miss those times)
I'd sing it to the below ride & dream (LOL) You & member's can 2 (LOL) Please record & post it (LOL) Increase the activity on the MCF !!!!

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Cool >2 dare 2 Dream in SpaceVision< >LOL<

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
SpaceRider:
Originally Posted by STUMPMI

Thanks for shareing!
I love that show!

You're Welcome Mod `David > I'm a big dreamer also > Always

Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 AM

I would love to drive the car once. That would be amazing. For the money I can think of other things that I would want that would be more "streetable" since I don't go to the track very oftern, granted if I had this car maybe I would lol. But like I said, just being able to drive it or ride in it once would be an awesome experience.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Cool >Life is short > Go 4 `it >EnJoy 4>Sure<

Originally Posted by iMuf
I would love to drive the car once. That would be amazing. For the money I can think of other things that I would want that would be more "streetable" since I don't go to the track very oftern, granted if I had this car maybe I would lol. But like I said, just being able to drive it or ride in it once would be an awesome experience.

Hi `Kyle, start saving some $'s & your dream can come true for a day
How far is Miami from where U R ?
Check out the below
Welcome to Gotham Dream Cars™ -- New York, Miami, and Los Angeles' premier exotic car rental and exotic car experience company, featuring "ultra-exotic" and luxury cars from the most exclusive manufacturers in the world, including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and more.
We've been in business since 2004 and have made thousands of our clients' dreams come true. Whether you need to rent one of our exotic cars for yourself, treat a friend to a driving experience, or spend a night on the town with a client, Gotham Dream Cars will make it happen. Get ready to learn why we're the largest, most trustworthy, most fun and, well, most awesome company around.

EXOTIC CAR RENTAL

Rent the car of your dreams for a day, weekend, week or more. Door-to-door delivery available. Rentals starting at $395/day.

Gotham Dream Cars - Ultra Exotic Car Rental & Luxury Car Rental

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.