Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Pulled over today by highway patrol...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Pulled over today by highway patrol...

Tooling down the freeway in my work truck heading to Salt Lake for some tile materials. Pass an officer at 70 in a 70, he was doing about 65. I see he starts to shadow me, uses the car pool lane to pace me then he drops behind me and flips on his overheads. I maneuver over and get stopped, he nicely & professionally asks me "Do you know it's the law you have to wear your seat belt?" Yes I replied, but I have a note from my doctor saying I don't have to wear my seat belt. He wanted to see it, after reviewing it he told me I had better keep it in my truck, never ran my I.D. etc. Told me to have a nice day and away I went. It's just one of those little things that make traveling a bit less stressful...

Old 01-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

You need to appreciate that you are looking like a friendly target.
In most of the cases lately these Officers may not fell to comfortable stopping the bad drivers any longer.
It's such a tragedy that so many of the Police have been killed or shot.

Gosh, I hope this will end soon. He probably had a sigh of relief that you were as cordial as you were. Glad you were safe!!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I didn't know you could do that. I don't suppose you want to post a copy of that note so we can all print off a copy for ourselves?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I didn't know you could do that. I don't suppose you want to post a copy of that note so we can all print off a copy for ourselves?
Even though that it is the law in most states to wear a seat belt. In 1986 I was driving a 1985 Monte Carlo it was fall harvest time in Nebraska and I had a Farmer pull out on the Highway in front of me and I went over the banking into a ditch to avoid him.
Had I not had the seat belt on I would probably been in the windshield.
All the stuff that I had in the car that wasn't attached was on the floor and under the seats.
So I always buckle up after that.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

I understand the police are on edge more now a days. The officer I interacted with was quite the professional and I told him so as we said our goodbyes.

Usually my seat belt is on, however my shoulders we all jacked up from shoveling snow this past week and the extra cold weather tends to aggravate them. The seat belt does not let me lean forward without always pulling against them. They are jacked up from a couple different jumps and hard night landings into trees from way back when I was in the Army. So now I pay the price when they get overexerted and the colder weather does not help. Ugh..

You were lucky, that's the crash I fear most the one where your doing nothing wrong and then the situation changes in a hot second. Glad you were restrained, saving you from serious injury or death.

The law here states one is exempt from wearing seatbelts if:

1. A motor vehicle manufactured before July 1st 1966

2. a motor vehicle in which the operator or passengers possess a written verification from a licensed physician the person is unable to wear a safety belt for physical or medical reasons.

3. a motor vehicle or seating position which is not required to be equipped with a safety belt system under federal law.

4. does not apply to a passenger if all safety belt seating positions are occupied by other passengers.

So fortunately for me my doctor has provided my with an exemption note. She said it was the first one she ever wrote and if I really wanted it based on my complaints about it causing me continued discomfort then I could have it.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

This sounds like an occasion for my favorite song! How bout some Junior Brown!! So get in your Monte and crank this song up and see if you can keep it under 80...I can't.

Last edited by GTHSS; 01-15-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member

If that one doesn't get you going this one will!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by GTHSS
This sounds like an occasion for my favorite song! How bout some Junior Brown!! So get in your Monte and crank this song up and see if you can keep it under 80...I can't.

https://youtu.be/x_wLVCLPx0M
Ha Ha, very nice, that song is way bad. Loved it so much I'm going to down load it from I-Tunes. That man could pick for sure, love his voice and demeanor. You must have a great sense of humor getting you through this life, thanks for the turn on to Junior...

The Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen's "Hot Rod Lincoln was something we would listen to back in the early 70's while I was over in Germany in the U.S. Army. There are few different versions of it, one says when the cops were searching his car something like "There were 10 illegal Mexican aliens in the trunk" probably not to politically correct to sing it like that anymore... Jheesh, can't have fun on other peoples short comings anymore, what is the world coming too?

Thanks for the laughs...

Old 01-16-2017, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member

Now that's funny!!