Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

painted tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Default RE: painted tail lights

well, the reflectors are recessed into the body, and im just very hesitant about painting something that is attatched to the car...i dont know if that makes sense or not..

Old 05-28-2005, 01:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

well, the reflectors are recessed into the body, and im just very hesitant about painting something that is attatched to the car...i dont know if that makes sense or not..
It would look soooo nice if you did it though. Just make sure you mask the area well and you'll be alright. Light coats would help too.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:24 PM

if you are sure you know what you are doing cause once you do it it is no going back!!! make sure that you are ready to go to the point of no return once you hit it with that first layer of paint.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member

i have actually met someone who got fined for having them in his area, so he took them off and sanded them back to red with a very fine sandpaper, then cleared them, and he said you cant tell they were ever touched.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:10 AM

i have actually met someone who got fined for having them in his area, so he took them off and sanded them back to red with a very fine sandpaper, then cleared them, and he said you cant tell they were ever touched.
How can he take the off and sand them if they are molded in?

Old 05-29-2005, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member

im talking about the tails..not the reflectors...

Old 05-29-2005, 02:39 PM

im talking about the tails..not the reflectors...
ahahaha, why would you be talking about that when we were talking about the reflectors? You just like causing confusion don't ya?

Old 05-29-2005, 04:45 PM

**** i am so confused as to what s going on in here and what is being painted that it dont make any sense. i have been folliwing this thread for a couple of days trying to figure out what the hell is bwing paointed but have no clue eve after all this time.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member

ok...i will recap this thread...i painted my tails, but not the reflectors because they are molded into the body, and i dont like the idea of spray painting part of my car. i could technically remove them, but they break when they come off. there is also a sort of lip around them that i dont know how i would tape it off without getting overspray on the body, or missing part of the reflector.

about the sanding. the reason that i didnt clear coat them, was that i know someone who got in trouble for having them painted, so he took a very fine grit sandpaper and sanded the black off, then had the red lense clear coated, and you cant tell that they were ever touched!

Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 AM

i dont know how i would tape it off without getting overspray on the body, or missing part of the reflector.
what I would do is lay a piece of painters tape over the reflector and cut out the part you want painted, then continue masking off the surrounding areas. It would take a little time to get it perfect but the end result would be so worth it.

Quick Reply: painted tail lights