Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Okay boys, lets hear your thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Default RE: Okay boys, lets hear your thoughts!

The wish granters called and it is looking like its a no go. They won't do anything mechanical to the car. It must be saftied, and insured. In Canada you are allowed one car per licensed driver in the house. We have a car each. I know there must be away to insure it because lots of people have their driving around cars and their hobby cars. So, I will have to look into it. However, it could come down to an expense thing. Because I already will have to put money out to store her properly. They also said that depending on how much it would cost to cosmetically do it. We will submit the formal request on Thursday and hope for the best.

Otherwise I think we are going to Italy to the Lambo factory. Also, a good choice. But not what he was really hoping for.

~Jenna

Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Safetied and insured? One car per driver? Now I'm a bit confused, do you live in Canada?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Yes, I live in Canada. The car has to be saftied. Meaning a Safety test needs to be done and if passed that means its road worthy and ready to be plated. Insurance is mandatory for every car. I assume you know what a safety test is.

In Canada you can only insure one car per driver per household. So, that means my car is in my name and insured for me. Only my husband can drive my car. I'm the primary driver for my car.If I had another driver I would have to pay extra ( by extra I mean ALOT) for that person to drive my car or sign a waiver saying they will never drive it, and if I did sign it and they had an accident I'm uninsured, and in jail. My husband has a truck in his name and the insurance is in his name. I am the secondary driver. No one else who lives here can drive his truck.

Its all stupid. But I do know that a show or hobby car is different. I'm not sure how much to insure it, or if I can put a rider on my house insurance as the car will not be plated.

Its all a mess. And will cost alot of money just to keep it for my son.

~Jenna

Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad I don't live in Canada. Or I'd have to have like 8 kids so my cars could stay on the road.
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

What about the people who own collector cars? How do they get by with owning the collector car plus a daily driver?

I'm not real partial to white cars either. They kind of have a cheap air to them.

Well THAT makes me feel better. Cause I'm not a white car person either but somehow I've managed to buy cars with white on them someplace.
[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM

They must be able to insure them. I'm not sure how. I am waiting for companies to call me back. I was wrong. We can have him as a driver. What they do is make him the primary driver. Which in turn bumps the premiums to about 4x's what I pay. To insure him for my car its about 600 a month!! They changed those laws so that parents couldn't just add their kids. Just a big money grab really. I only have to insure it for fire, and theft. So it shouldn't be that bad.

I also have to have the car saftied. Not to sure how to do that either as the car will have to go in my name. I think why they want it saftied is because they don't want to do all the cosmetics to the car and then have it not working. So, it'd be a wasted wish. I agree with that part of it.

~Jenna

Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: rj
I'm not real partial to white cars either. They kind of have a cheap air to them.

Well THAT makes me feel better. Cause I'm not a white car person either but somehow I've managed to buy cars with white on them someplace.
[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Lol, I don't know why but that gave me a good laugh...

And I thought I had to jump through hoops to get my quad plated and on the road, I don't think I'd ever be able to live somewhere where you can only have one car. I have two vehicles that are street legal now (Monte and quad), and I plan on always having at least two hopefully three vehicles in my name. Maybe I'm greedy, but I like having my options.

You'll have to let us know how it pans out, I'd hate to see your son's car turned down for whatever reason.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Ya gotta think positive here!
Meanwhile, to give you ideas, check out cardomain.com for 1987 GP's, and of course other similar years. Here is the link to the '87 page:
http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/P.../all/1987/1987. Other sites, of course, especially in forums, but this is one of the bigger sites.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get the Make-a-Wish foundation to work with the Overhaulin t.v. show to do your son's GP.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Ya gotta think positive here!
Meanwhile, to give you ideas, check out cardomain.com for 1987 GP's, and of course other similar years. Here is the link to the '87 page:
http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/P.../all/1987/1987. Other sites, of course, especially in forums, but this is one of the bigger sites.
Thanks. Especially, for helpin' us get back on topic. LOL.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get the Make-a-Wish foundation to work with the Overhaulin t.v. show to do your son's GP.
Good idea!! That is also great publicity for them!! They are forever trying to fund raise!! I'll definetly run that by his wish girls.

~Jenna

Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Now he has wish girls? or is that girls he's wishing for??????

Quick Reply: Okay boys, lets hear your thoughts!