Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Message NOT received>We are losing<

Old 10-19-2014, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy >Message NOT received>We are losing<

America is losing the war on distracted driving
(Member's, I sure hope some of the threads/posts I've made >make you think & drive more defensively ?) We need you here to keep our MCF active : ) Drive Smart/Safe `OK

Message NOT received.

By Michael Frank October 15, 2014 / Photos by Carl Wiens

"On average, nine people will have died today because of distracted driving," says Terryl Warner, director of victim services for the Cache County, Utah, district attorney's office. "If these deaths were war victims or plane-crash victims, there would be outrage."

12Number of U.S. states that ban handheld phone use while driving.

Warner has a front-row perspective on the inefficacy of distracted-driving legislation: In 2009, as an attorney in the Cache County DA's office, she helped prosecute one of the country's first manslaughter cases originating from a driver texting behind the wheel. The defendant, 19-year-old Reggie Shaw, killed two people when his SUV swerved into an oncoming sedan as he texted with his girlfriend. Facing a maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $2500 fine on each count, Shaw ultimately served 30 days and was ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.
"It's not like speeding—we have to see them in the act of using their handheld device."

Working on behalf of Leila O'Dell, the wife of victim Keith O'Dell, Warner prodded state politicians into passing one of the toughest distracted-driving laws in the country, with a penalty of up to 15 years in prison. That law was enacted in 2009, and five years later, despite the issue featuring prominently in the national discourse, distracted driving is still an epidemic. Tougher laws are increasingly common, but they may not be the answer. A recent Texas A&M University study found that stiffer fines and penalties may change "visible cellphone use"—meaning drivers might switch to hands-free methods—but there's little evidence that such a move would produce fewer accidents. And Warner believes education has already reached its limits. "You're not going to find anyone who argues that texting and driving is safe," she says. "People know it's dangerous. They know it's wrong."

READ MORE: Get ready for police radar that knows if you're texting
Enforcement seems like an obvious answer. After all, how many times have you seen some moron bobbing his head between the road and his lap and wondered why a cop hasn't intervened? As it turns out, law enforcement is equally frustrated.

"It's not like speeding—we have to see them in the act of using their handheld device," says one police officer working in the northeastern United States. (All officers spoke to R&T on condition of anonymity and will remain nameless —Ed.) "Can we testify, without a doubt, about the circumstances? If not, we can't write that ticket." Another cop on patrol in the Southeast calls distracted-driving penalties "all but unenforceable," despite the fact that, in his experience, the behavior is "far more dangerous than even a mild DUI." And even when a ticket can be issued, it's still "radioactive," according to the Southeast cop. "We know it could lose in court."

Randy Risling / Contributor / Getty ImagesWarner argues that part of the problem remains social perception; distracted driving is widely viewed as wrong, but not as wrong as other behaviors. "If you're ticketed for texting and driving, you're not the social pariah you are if you get a DUI." Another officer we spoke with agrees, especially when it comes to children in the car. "If it's a DUI with kids [in the car], that's a really serious offense. This needs to be the same."

READ MORE: Watch the most effective anti-distracted-driving ad ever produced (Video)
Yet the worst-case scenario is already the same. Warner recently attended a national meeting of survivors of distracted-driving fatalities. "I don't believe those families grieve any less than survivors in the murder cases I've worked," she says. Warner believes the issue is still waiting on a pivotal lawsuit, one where a public or private employee is caught in the act and a government agency or company has to pay millions in damages. When that happens, it will have a trickle-down effect to where the average driver feels it most: the wallet.
"When our insurance rates are jacked up, we'll finally see the change that needs to happen," Warner says. Right now, she adds, "it's costing us lives." "It's not like speeding—we have to see them in the act of using their handheld device."

READ MORE:>>> The 9 most dangerous things drivers do
THE HARD QUESTIONDistracted driving injures or kills almost 1200 people every day. How do we stop it?

Terryl Warner
Cache County, Utah, victims advocate, Logan, UT
"We have to train prosecutors better. In the early days of DUI, attorneys didn't understand how they could win cases. We're at that stage with distracted driving, where the lawyers aren't up to speed on how to prosecute—and they desperately need the training."

Russ Rader
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety spokesman Arlington, VA
"Technology is one possibility. Many crash-prevention systems bring the driver's attention back to the road at a critical moment, alerting the driver to a potential hazard. Those features could address a wide range of distractions that lead to crashes, not just phone use."

Loretta Worters
VP of Communications, Insurance Information Institute, New York, NY
"Parents and insurers are already encouraging the tracking and blocking of teen cellphone use to lower risk and costs. I think we're going to see this [transition] to adults who agree to in-car blocks as a way to keep insurance rates down."

Last edited by Space; 10-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Lightbulb Member's> Please Watch Short Vid

The best distracted-driving PSA ever

You shouldn't check your texts in movies, either.

Please watch the below Short Vid (Closely)

By Alex Kierstein

You're not supposed to use your phone in a movie theater, but that doesn't stop these moviegoers from looking. Maybe that says something about distracted driving—we all know we're not supposed to do it, but sometimes that's not enough. Volkswagen's clever and powerful new PSA about distracted driving illustrates all this in a matter of seconds.
The look on the audience's faces, slack-jawed and still holding their phones, tells you everything you need to know.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:17 AM
Old 10-20-2014, 05:30 AM

Sorry, I miss this thread > I was distracted

I was doing something else (?) I 4-get what it was ?

I may have been eating, drinking, texting, combing my hair, checking the web @ 80 + mph, or taking a nap

Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Lightbulb >I hope it makes you think b-4 U text> Text me & let me know ?

A picture says a thousand words

Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Talking >Beep>Beep<

Old 10-23-2014, 04:34 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for this thread Space. Interesting reading. I must admit, I was guilty many times of distracted driving.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Thanks for this thread Space. Interesting reading. I must admit, I was guilty many times of distracted driving.
Thanks `Lou for your words & I am also guilty of distractions while driving down a beach road with so many beautiful ladies walking down the roads to the beach...

I post threads like this to remind members & myself of the dangers out there on the roads of our life. I hope it makes everyone think while they are driving a 2 ton weapon that can hurt or kill someone ? \