Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MC "NOT" A Muscle Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default MC "NOT" A Muscle Car

Posting this for a friend with a 4th gen to drum up support:

There is a place down here in Florida that has been the home of the Cruise In for over 25 years. This place used to draw over 300 cars 72 and older every Saturday and allowed car clubs of most any kind hold events there.
For the past 20 years they also did a Friday Night Cruise that was for cars from 72 to 87 and that usually had 200 cars in attendance. The SMCC has held many events there over the past 6 years including a join SMCC - NMCOA meet last November that had 35 Monte's in attendance.
Recently new owners took over and changed the rules to exclude anything newer than 72 and they also don't allow clubs to hold events there unless the majority fall into the new year category but they started to realized they screwed up a good thing after attendance dropped in half for Saturday and down to 50-75 for Friday. They just made some more changes to allow certain newer "Muscle Cars" in of Friday Night.
Here is the list:

OLD TOWN FRIDAY NITE - LIST OF ACCEPTED AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS
by Old Town Shopping, Dining & Entertainment Attraction on Friday, July 8, 2011 at 1:06pm

If you read over the list it is ironic they allow GN's and 442's but Not 4th Gen Monte carlos, as well as 94-96 Impalas and 2003-2004 Maruaders along with newer muscle cars but no Monte Carlos

The reason for this long post is to ask for everyone's help in changing Old-Town's mind and include the Monte Carlo in this list.

If you are on Facebook please like Old-Town and post a comment here:
Old Town Comments

If you are not on facebook please send them an e-mail explaining why the Monte Carlo SS is an "American Muscle car"
Feel free to include a picture or 2 of your car proving why they are worthy.
Their website is under renovation but here is their e-mail address. Please use OLD TOWN FRIDAY NITE - LIST OF ACCEPTED AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS" as your subject.
info@myoldtownusa.com

Thanks in advance for the help ladies and gentlemen!,
Joe

Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 AM

Perhaps the 4th gen, but in one of my very first posts on mymonte.com, i referred to the Monte as a 'muscle car' and was quickly corrected that its technically a sedan. which is accurate, i believe. BBBBUUUTTTTTTTTT, I am on facebook and will show my support.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 AM

Did they block comments? I don't see an option to comment like the others.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I don't think the Monte classifies as a sedan. To be a sedan, I believe you must have 4 doors. The Monte, I believe has always been a two door.
When people talk "muscle cars" it's in the eye of the beholder really. I know some people who do not feel the Monte is a "muscle car" (and I was even told by one or two people that "Camaros are not sports cars").
Now, I know the 4th gen Monte has shared drive trains with other known "muscle cars" (such as the L69 305 H.O. engine in the 4th gen was also offered in the early 80's F-body like my '84 Camaro and a host of other cars).
The question here would be, what defines a car as a "Muscle Car"? And even if you say a "Monte Carlo is a Muscle Car" people will tell you that stopped when GM went soft and made the "Monte a FWD V6".

To me when a place offers car cruise-in nights, rules have to be simple and you just can't be so darn picky (otherwise you get what Montess2k is dealing with, ruining a good thing). Could say you don't want cars that aren't at least 25 years in age. BOOM, simple rule.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 AM

...Hi `Joe, & thanks for the heads`up @ what's happening @ Old Town Some people just don't know how to run a show & should not be in the business. I'm sure the low attendance will hopefully wake them `up to that fact & change the rules.
Yes, posting on facebook & emails can help influence their decision & educate them about "Muscle Car's"& Monte Carlo's...

YouTube - ‪CAR SHOW AT OLD TOWN AMUSEMENT PARK IN ORLANDO. VIDEO 2.‬‏
a 3 minute vid from Old Town

Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
<CITE>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo</CITE> - CachedSimilar
The Chevrolet Monte Carlo is an American-made two-door coupe introduced for ... 1995 on a front-drive, V6-powered coupe based on the Chevrolet Lumina sedan. ...
First generation - Second generation - Third generation - Fourth generation
I think the Monte is a 2 dr Coupe, but some call them 2dr Sedan's because they are not Hard Tops & have a center post & door frames. (That's my 1-cent comment : )

Last edited by Space; 07-09-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Joe, I'll support the cause! I think there were dealer installed 350's in the 4th gen montes.

The Monte Carlo was never a sedan (4 door or 2 door with a post). And then came the colonnades 2nd gen and up - I think those were just referred to as "coupes'.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:46 AM

`Joe, I think `Amy should move to Florida & take over the Show Then it would be run correctly 4-Sure...
p.s. `Amy, congrat's on your last win with your Monte Carlo..
I can't keep track on all your wins, but they sure are deserving...You need to take a picture of your Monte with all your Awards....

Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I added a "Note" telling them the should re-consider their list of cars (I see other car owners complained) also that they couldn't tell a Muscle car from a peddle car.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Ya the Olds 442 4th gen had a 307 and made the same horsepower as the Chevy's 305 V-8!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I think the Muscle car's stopped in 1972. Can't see why a Monte Carlo wasn't includled in that. 1970 was actually to Real last Muscle cars being built. In 71 and newer. Those car's were so detuned it was scary. A 454 4 bbl Chevelle that once had over 450 HP. In 72 had only 250 HP.

Quick Reply: MC "NOT" A Muscle Car