Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

It's Worth HOW Much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default It's Worth HOW Much?

I didn't realize when those punks went after my '94 Dodge Shadow ES in january they also went after my '93 setting right beside the '94. Snow and ice prevented me from seeing the paint damage.

The punks went to school and bragged about causing the damage to so many cars and few houses. That's how they got caught.

The county I live in is making them pay resitution to the victims. (thank you)

My auto insurance agrees the damage to the paint on my '93 Shadow ES was probably caused by these kids. They say the cost to repair the paint is about $730. They were concerned it may total the car out? Since the car is now 18 years old. The agent told me yesterday this cost of repairs was not half the value of the car. Kind of surprised me. Cause I would have figured the car would be worth ....... $400.00 by now???? The adjuster did compliment me on the condition the car was in when he was here.

The insurance is just trying to figure out my percentage of the repair cost? Will it be my deductable or more? I'll let them make the decision and go from there.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Hi Mod R.J.,
Great that the kids that did the damage were caught & have to pay (I hope they do 4-Sure) Even `if the parents pay, they are the ones that are in control of their teens 4-Real...

You can't put a price on the vehicle(s) you love $$$.
4 Really Sure...

Keep us updated & I wish you & readers a Happy/Fun/Day

Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Luck, at least things are moving in the right direction. If you have to pay out of pocket expenses, you can always hit small claims court. Shouldn't cost you much to recoup. Looks like it would have to be a definate ruling in your favor.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly, I don't like being too hard on the kidz. Perhaps they don't really know or feel the effects of the damage they do. But they do gotta learn responsibility and making them pay is the best way to do that. They should be forced to learn how to repair the damage and fix it themselves! That would teach them even better respect over having they're parents pay and having their asses beaten over it...

Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

That's great that they caught the kids who did that and paying for the damage.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

RJ, glad to hear the insurance will cover it, and the kids were caught.

Brent, I agree with the last half of your comment. The kids do need to do some unpaid work to teach them better respect. I wouldn't want them painting RJ's car though. Probably be a horrible paint job.

But I have to disagree with your comment about the kids not knowing the effects of the damage they do. They know perfectly well what they're doing. They know it's going to **** the owners off, and will be expensive to repair. That's exactly why they do it. They find it funny to destroy other people's stuff and **** them off. It's because they only care about themselves.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 AM

I believe `if you don't care or respect yourself, you won't care or respect other's 4-Sure
Kid's or Adults
I believe ~>Many parents don't know how to teach their children, or they just don't seem to care...

Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

My sympathy is with you. There was a point in my life that I was nothing but a punk. Just remember that people can grow up. Glad to see that the insurance is going to be working with you.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like Brent's idea... take them all down to the body shop and make them file the bondo, glazing putty, make them spray the primer... maybe they'll acquire a skill for life and actually be able to support themselves while they're at it.

It's amazing how many high school kids get caught because they couldn't shut their asses up. We had this big senior prank when I was a junior... someone got a bunch of maple syrup and a paint roller and spread maple syrup over all the seats right before the homecoming game... they were caught because they wouldn't shut up and had to brag about what they did. That, and if you're going to do somethign like this, act alone and laugh in private. Most people just odn't have the personality to do that... most people want some credit for what they do, they're not willing to sit back and let all the havoc breakout without a fwe of their friends knowing it was them and build their street cred. Teacher Todd could back me up on this... if the kids would just do what they do and shut up, they'd probably get away with it.... but it's a good thing for us victims that they can't shut up because we can usually catch them by keeping an ear out.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I was talking with the insurance adjuster. I made the comment about the kids that damaged all these vehicles. He bet me I may be surprised to find my car in a youtube video being damaged. We both laughed about it. But you never know?

I do like the comment about let the kids do some of the repairs. Even if it's work at the paint shop doing prep work or at the glass shop sweeping the floor after a repair job. Explain they can work off some of the repair costs this way or be held accountable for the entire costs. Then explain to any business owner who allows one or more of these kids to work for them, "Don't let them cut corners while working for you. If you tell them to sweep, then make sure they follow through AND sweep up to your standards."

In an effort to teach tese kids some respect not just for other people's property, but for themselves as well.

I went and got one appraisal on my '93 Dodge at a paint shop I've used before. JUST to repair the hatch, they want $1,000. Has paint goen up THAT...... much?

Quick Reply: It's Worth HOW Much?