Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I KEEP GETTIN MADE FUN OF!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: I KEEP GETTIN MADE FUN OF!!!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: knightfan26917

As for winter driving, I've NEVER had a problem with any of my RWD MCs in the snow. I've never once gone off the road, never once got stuck, etc. Winter driving is all in YOUR skill in handling YOUR car...no matter what drivetrain it is, imho. Besides, it doesn't matter what wheels are doing the driving if you hit a patch of ice.....
I would have to disagree with that statement. There is a HUGE difference in pulling a car thru snow and ice vs pushing a car thru the same. Thats what makes AWD and 4WD so good, the front tires pulling. I would prefer to drive an AWD, but the effeciency typically isnt as good, ie mpg, and the maintanence will be more, more to go wrong. I'd rather pull a car thru the snow than push it thru.
As for ice driving, traction control and anti-lock brakes are what its all about! Another thing I like about cars vs trucks or SUVs, is the lower center of gravity. I couldnt begin to tell you how many tall SUVs ive seen rolled over, off the road, etc. Even a few trucks. I totalled a 76 F250 Tall Boy that way, hit a tree.
l"ll take my FWD Monte ANYDAY for winter driving!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 PM

i would have to agree with it is all the driver. now im not being sexist but i have alot of female friends who come up to me during th ewinter and say guess what i did! ill say wrecked your car! its all in your head. i drove my 2001 rwd jimmy all through 2 winter and only had one issue when i hit black ice (right in front of my uncle) and started to go out of control. but my reaction was to keep the gas on and turn away from anyother cars. i ended up in the field off to the right and inbetween two trees. wiht out hitting them of course!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM

I kinda agree on it being a drive issue, I started driving our V8 RWD vehicles (Sierras, Suburban, Camaro) because I learned how to drive with the RWD in the winter before I even rode in a FWD vehicle I feel pretty confident in being able to handle on in snow or on ice (Wyoming has plenty of both with the wind to boot). To tell the truth the reason I really didn't like the Suburban in winter is because if you were driving on ice or packed snow you would very easily be blown off the road, sliding clean off, all a matter of luck with each gust of wind. Now that I've the Monte it is a lot easier to drive in winter than the Camaro, but the Camaro is also able to break the tires loose with the 350 a lot easier then it is with the Monte, plus I've got winter tires for my car.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i've never driven the FWD in the rain and snow... i drove the suburban and hte pick up though. my uncle used to have a little fwd VW that would go anywhere in the snow while 4x4's were hitting the ditches.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:41 PM

with the majorit of suburbans now with the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 they are all relatively powerful. now the all wheel drives like the ltz, denali they handle decently in the snow. but they are liek giant sails so they do blow around. it is easy to break the wheels loose on the rwd ones. but in empty parking lots they are extremely fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:39 PM

Yeah the new ones, ours is a '93 RWD only, with the 350. Oh, and it's got over 200k miles on it.

Not the most powerful vehicle in the family...

Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM

200000 on a chevy? thats really good for that year. they are jsut starting to become better. a prime example my brothers 96 silverado 138000 miles and only done preventative maintnence and a fuel pump. then my dads ss silverado has 95000 and nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i accidently typed rain and snow in my last post.. whoops, i've definitly driven thru the rain but no snow yet.

my parents subruban was just sold with 254000 miles on it.... the people at the end of the street bought, everybody and their brother has seen that car somewhere since then, it runs ALL the time. those were the tough suburbans, the real ones... i've seen several with well over 200,000 and one with 300,000 on an original motor.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM

let them talk all they want. They are just jealous. I have driven many RWD cars...and I have to say...whatever! I love my V8 monte...and can kick some butt in it too. Who cares what anyone thinks...just say..until you make my payment..you cant say crap LOL

Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can tell you no matter what you own someone somewhere will come up and think it's not worthy.

You can own the nicest whatever and some smartazz will make fun of it.

People make fun of my cars all the time. I tell them if they don't like it keep walking. They're bound to find the car of their dreams just a short distance away.

Quick Reply: I KEEP GETTIN MADE FUN OF!!!!!!!!!!!