Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hottest SportsCars 09

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hottest SportsCars 09

[align=center]Hottest Sports Cars of 2009
Speed still sells sports cars.
[/align][align=center]But nobody said you had to burn gasoline to be first across the finish line.
by JIM GORZELANY, ForbesAutos.com
[/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]*Sorry Members, I could not get the pictures of cars to[/align][align=center]stick, so you must click ~>on the links to view : )[/align][align=center](My boss can`t afford 2 give us a raise, but he gives us[/align][align=center]all a Lotto Ticket in our pay check : ) Only takes one ticket[/align][align=center]to Win & make a dream come `true

[hr]

Slideshow:[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]Hottest Sports Cars of 2009[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Koenigseggs CCXR beats the Bugatti Veyron for bragging rights in power and price.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[URL=http://www.forbesautos.com/buyersguide/sportscars/2009/features/hottest-sports-cars-slideshow.html?partner=fadc_iil]view slideshow >[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]In a niche where excess always rules, manufacturers are outdoing each other in spectacular ways to develop the ultimate sports car. And its not just more power theyre after.
If a few of the models on our latest hot list are any indication, your next sports car could very well plug into a wall outlet or run on recycled cooking oil.

Ultra-Rare and Ultra-Fast
[/align][align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align][ul][*][align=center]Alpha Romeo 8C Competizione
[/align]
[*][align=center]Lamborghini Reventon[/align][*][align=center]Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
[/align]
[/ul][align=center][/align][align=center]But sports car purists can relax. It is unlikely that the piercing sound of high-revving engines is going to fade from the streets anytime soon.I hope : )

Some of the biggest buzz belongs to
Bugatti.
The French automaker outdid itself by unveiling a new version of the
Veyron 16.4, called the Grand Sport. It has a removable roof panel and a $2 million estimated price tag.[:'(]

Research new and improved sports cars:
[/align][align=center]Click on the one you like to read/view[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][ul][*][align=center]Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione[/align][*][align=center]Aston Martin V8 Vantage[/align][*][align=center]Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport[/align][*][align=center]Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 [/align][*][align=center]Ferrari California[/align][*][align=center]Lamborghini LP640 Roadster[/align][*][align=center]Maserati GranTurismo[/align][*][align=center]Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series[/align][*][align=center]Mercedes SLK-Class[/align][*][align=center]Nissan GT-R[/align][*][align=center]Pontiac Solstice Coupe (RockSS-`Wayne: )[/align][*][align=center]Porsche Boxster[/align][*][align=center]Porsche Cayman[/align][*][align=center]Porsche 911 Carrera[/align][*][align=center]Tesla Roadster[/align][/ul][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]But obscure Swedish automaker Koenigsegg upstaged Bugatti with its mind-bending CCXR, whose 1,018-horsepower V8 engine puts out even more power than the Bugattis ridiculously powerful 16-cylinder engine.[&:][8D]WOW
"The horsepower wars may recede for a period of time, but they will never go away," says Leo Parente, an independent New York-based automotive marketing consultant whose clients include General Motors,
Lexus, Toyota and Hyundai."We may be discussing horsepower in terms of an electric motor, but bigger will always be seen as being better."
Even mass-market brands like
Chevrolet are crossing new thresholds.
The company pushed the performance and price of its long-running
Corvette sports car further than ever before with a new ZR1 version that cranks out 638 hp. It essentially is a race car for the streets, with a 3.4-second 0-60 mph time, a top speed of 205 mph and a $102,450 starting price.
"Actually, it reinforces the performance-to-price value status that Corvette traditionally holds versus its comparably performing competitors, only in the ZR1s case it stands up against significantly more expensive
Ferraris and Lamborghinis," Parente says.

In Pictures: Hottest Sports Cars of 2009

And as Chevrolet moves up-market with the Corvette, Ferrari moves down-market with its all-new California convertible, which is expected to have a starting price below $200,000. "This is the Ferrari for the common man," says George Peterson, president of AutoPacific Group, a Tustin, Calif.-based research firm. "The California provides an entry level Ferrari that is technologically accomplished, but uses a parts approach to achieve a more affordable price point."
The Ferrari California borrows technology from sister company
Maseratis GranTurismo, but adds something no other Ferrari or Maserati has: a retractable, multi-section metal roof.
Its only one of 17 all-new or significantly updated 2009 model-year sports cars. See the full list of
Hottest Sports Cars of 2009 in the accompanying slideshow.[/align][align=center]
[hr]

Recession? What Recession?
"The Rich get Richer, the poor get poorer,
[/align][align=center]and the middleClass pays 4 it `all"`Space

[hr]

Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]+ see more photos
| read a review >[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The sports car market is thriving in the midst of an economic downturn and swelling gas prices thanks in part to wealthy baby boomers.

"There are plenty of people who have long lusted after exotics who now can afford them," Peterson says. "Their bonuses have been paid, or they are affluent baby boomers nearing retirement with healthy nest eggs who feel that they deserve a reward for years of hard work. The boomers will represent a huge proportion of the sports-car market in the coming years."
Boomers — a market segment that includes about 76 million people born between 1946 and 1964 — already buy 56.5 percent of all new
Porsches, 64.7 of all Ferraris, 73.8 percent of all Aston Martins and 82.3 percent of all Lamborghinis sold in the United States, according to CNW Research in Bandon, Ore.
And while only around 3 percent of Baby Boomers currently own a sports car or a "sporty car," according to AutoPacific survey data, analysts expect that more than 13 percent will consider buying one in the future.
If the latest crop of new sports cars is any indication, theyll have a variety of models to choose from. But they could be fighting over the few available each year.
Only 150 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sports are scheduled for production at a rate of 50 per year. Fewer than 100 of
Alfa Romeo's sexy new convertible, the 2009 8C Competizione Spider, are expected to reach the United States.

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]+ see more photos
| read a review >[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Even much less expensive new models like the $69,850 2009 Nissan GT-R, of which 2,500 will be sold in the United States this year, are in such demand that reportedly some opportunists who got their hands on the first batch are marking them up by as much as $100,000.

"These vehicles are fashion statements in the automotive entertainment industry," AutoPacifics Peterson says. Theyre often bought by "nouveau riche hedge fund managers wanting a way to display that they have made it in other ways than by owning a mansion."
Besides head-turning looks and utter exclusivity, sports cars are coveted for their performance, even if it never gets tested. Parente calls this the "it could do factor."
It could do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds,or It could do 200 mph,he says. In this sense, having a sports cars in the garage is like having a $7,000 professional-grade Viking range in your kitchen for boiling pasta, or wearing a $5,000 divers watch to tell time at the office.
Green Speed
One car on our list stands out from all the others — the
Tesla Roadster.

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]+ see more photos
| read a review >[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Already, eco-conscious Hollywood types are lining up to take delivery of the $109,000 electric car. It has real sports-car pedigree, with underpinnings from respected British automaker Lotus, but it eschews a traditional engine and transmission for a massive lithium-ion battery pack powering an electric motor. Tesla says will take the low-slung two-seater to 60 mph in just 3.9 seconds and go 220 miles on one charge.

There are downsides to being an innovator like Tesla. After finally starting production earlier this year after multiple delays, it has been stunted by durability issues with the Roadsters two-speed electro-hydraulic manual transmission. Tesla is in the process of swapping it for a new one-speed gearbox that can better handle the high torque levels produced by the electric powertrain.
"Were now inserting what were calling powertrain 1.5 into the production process, and everythings once again going according to plan," says Tesla spokesperson Darryl Siry.
While only a handful of owners have taken delivery of what is admittedly a low-volume vehicle, Parente says the Tesla Roadster is already a success. "It validates that green and performance driving are not mutually diverse desires of the driving population. The Tesla shows we can change the power source, but not the experience, and let driving remain fun."
All of the sports cars on our list have advancements that prove this point.

Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]+ Enlarge image
| see more photos >[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Half of them use lightweight carbon-fiber body panels to save weight. The Ferrari California and revamped 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera use new transmissions with seven gears instead of the usual six to improve not only acceleration, but also fuel efficiency. The new base 911 Carrera produces 20 hp more than the outgoing model, but maintains the same estimated fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, which is among the best in the sports car segment.

Even way-over-the-top models like the Koenigsegg CCRX are going green: It can run on E85 Ethanol or E100 biodiesel.
And it only gets better. Toyota is working on a new sports car, the FT-HS, whose 3.5-liter V6 hybrid powertrain will achieve the equivalent of 400 hp. Likewise,
Honda plans to debut a small and lightweight CR-Z hybrid sport coupe next year.
"Thirty years ago, every time a new generation of sports car came out, there would be those who lamented it would be the last of its kind because of stricter emissions and fuel economy regulations," says Francois Gravigny, an advisor for R.L. Polk & Co. in Southfield, Mich. "Fast-forward 30 years and we still have no shortage of Porsches and Ferraris on the market, and theyre way better than they were back then."
To see all of the new or significantly improved 2009 sports cars, go to the
accompanying slideshow.

In Pictures: Hottest Sports Cars of 2009

Related Reviews[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][ul][*][align=center]Alpha Romeo 8C Competizione[/align][*][align=center]Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport[/align][*][align=center]Chevrolet Corvette ZR1[/align][/ul][align=center][/align][align=center]

Related Features[/align][align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align][ul][*][align=center]See the Hottest Sports Cars of 2008[/align][*][align=center]Fastest Hybrids on Sale Now[/align][*][align=center]Most Extreme Tuner Cars[/align][/ul][align=center]Members, which one do you like best ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][/align]

[/align]

Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Hottest SportsCars 09

Of course Im going to have to say that I like the corvette best. I think they should drop a small V8 in the solstice and have an even better performing car also.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: mrl390

Of course Im going to have to say that I like the corvette best. I think they should drop a small V8 in the solstice and have an even better performing car also.
[/align][align=center]Hi `Matt,[/align][align=center]Great 2 C U online. Wayne -RockSS-, posted a picture of[/align][align=center]a Solstice with a V8 Conversion : ) WoW[/align][align=center]I agree with you that the new ZR1 is the best bang for the $.[/align][align=center]It`s on the top of my automotive wet `dreams : )[/align][align=center]I don`t know `if there will ever be one in my future,[/align][align=center]but I still dream about driving one : )[/align][align=center]Hope School is going good for you...Make a `Off Topic[/align][align=center]post about how it`s going for you.[/align][align=center]Wish U & the reader of this posta `Happy [/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][ul][*][align=center]
Overview [/align][*][align=center]
Price Quote [/align][*][align=center]
Reviews [/align][*][align=center]
Photos [/align][*][align=center]
360° Tours [/align][*][align=center]
Equipment & Specs [/align][*][align=center]
Colors & Options

Read a Review:
Born to Tease[/align][*][align=center]4-$ure
Chevrolet nails every detail with its awe-inspiring Corvette ZR1 except timing. [/align][/ul][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Specs at a Glance:
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Seating Capacity: 2 [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Available Engines: 6.2L V-8 16 valve OHV SMPI [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Drivetrains: Rear-wheel drive [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]0-60 mph: InSane 4-Sure [8D][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Fuel Economy (city/hwy): 14/20 mpg [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Standard Features: Adaptive suspension, Power driver seat, Radio data system, Driver front impact airbag, Passenger front impact airbag, Electronic stability [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Optional Equipment: Heated front seats, Wireless connectivity, Driver side impact airbag, Passenger side impact airbag [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]View Full Specifications | See Options and Packages | View Interior/ Exterior Colors [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
$103,970
[/align][align=center](it would be nice `if the members took up a [/align][align=center]collection for the `kid : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
6.2L V-8 16 valve OHV SMPI, 638hp @ 6,500RPM, 6-spd manual w/overdrive, Rear-wheel drive[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"Dreams are where we want 2 `go, & work is how we[/align][align=center]get there" I`m work`in on `it

[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/E31FC3F8977E4B07871A25762BEB3329.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Not JUST a V8, but an LS7! Seen several LS2s, but this LS7, WOW! THAT is a V8! A 427 V8.

But this car has the AC Cobra front end conversion, also, which I don't care for, but that's just me.

This guy has about $45-50K into this car. You can't buy a more unique car with American muscle than this for that price.
Like I posted several weeks ago on another thread, I'm not a fan of non-American cars, not that I don't like them, just I'll ONLY buy American. Right now, the Solstice GXP and it's sister car, the Saturn Sky Redline, are to me, other than the Corvette, THE American muscle car For $20,000 you can do an LS7 conversion in a car selling for +/- $20,000. For +/- 40K, you can have a 500+hp, 2,900 lb muscle car, that is pure factory muscle and parts. ANY GM dealer can work on it. Show me a sub 3,000 lb AMERICAN muscle car that will drive in other a straight line for this price. I've followed this car, it's AWESOME! That 427 just doesn't SOUND like the little 350 hp 2.0L turbo beast under the hood of our "Lucy". I got about $32K into our Solstice GXP. For a LITTLE more, "I coulda had a V8!"