Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GM may bring back the El Camino

Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Default GM may bring back the El Camino

GM's new Chief Marketing Officer, Joel Ewanick, says that he will consider bringing back Chevy's unique car/truck, the El Camino, if 100,000 people indicate an interest in it via the website Jalopnik.com. The El Camino had five generations, with the last one produced way back in 1987.

Chevrolet - El Camino | Facebook

Here's where to go to express your vote of approval for the idea: GM will bring back the El Camino if 100,000 people comment on this post

Old 05-14-2011, 02:42 PM

..I'll give `Joel a call & let him know we are interested : )

Or he could make a deal with the Aussie's & bring over the Holden

Great SLide Show on your posted link

I'd be happy with the above 4-Sure...
`Mark, ~>Thanks, another great thread with new `Hope for a return.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They have been saying this across all the boards, I have been posting on many....GM Has been teasing us about the g8/ute/wagon for so long, my slogan is "when I can go into a dealership and buy one I'll believe it"

Joe

Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

It would be sweet if they brought it back looking like the Holden ^^

Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
...x2

Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 AM

x3 lol

Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

El Caminos are cool rides. Would be interesting to see them bring it back. As mentioned, the Holden Ute is very El Camino like (GM would probably rebadge it and import it like they did the GTO)....

I would not mind seeing a good Chevelle return.... But I fear if GM would butcher the Chevelle trying to make it too modern....

Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90

If it looked like the Holden pictured above, I think it would be popular. But I think we all know that GM would "chevy-fy" it. By that I mean, change the grill and bumper assembly to the big, ugly horizontal split chevy grill. Then they would cheapen the wheels, water-down the performance (can't give the camaro competition now), and make it a hy-brid to make the environmentalists happy.

Basically my opinion is this...

GM won't give the camaro or corvette any performance competition (cadillac doesn't count since it's a different market completely). Which is why the Impala lost the SS option. And cars like the Monte Carlo, G8, GTO, etc. have all been scrapped and won't see the light of day again. The names may return at some point. But not the way we remember them. Just my opinion though.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Taz

If it looked like the Holden pictured above, I think it would be popular. But I think we all know that GM would "chevy-fy" it. By that I mean, change the grill and bumper assembly to the big, ugly horizontal split chevy grill. Then they would cheapen the wheels, water-down the performance (can't give the camaro competition now), and make it a hy-brid to make the environmentalists happy.
I agree with you. If they do bring back the El Camino, I think it's more likely to be based on the next-gen Malibu (which you can see on Chevy's Facebook page or Chevy's website if you haven't already) and have the split grille design that they're incorporating into a lot of their cars for the sake of "brand identity". I don't know about them making a hybrid version, though.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Yeah, GM has that whole performance hierarchy going on. Not always the best thing.... I mean, what happened to the days where they offered multiple cars that were MUSCLE CARS and had power. Now it's just a couple high powered cars (as stated, the Vette is top dog and the Camaro is next on the list).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM may bring back the El Camino