Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 AM
1 Year Member
Default fuel pumps

hopefully everyone knows how much fun it is to replace pumps on the silverado/suburbans. So I was curious if its possible to run an inline fuel pump instead of messing with the pump in the tank. what I'm curious about is if the inline fuel pump will be able to suck fuel through the broken pump in the tank atleast enough to suck down the half tank of gas in it. Which I'll then drop the tank and just ditch the internal pump and make it run off the inline pump. Before someone suggests the dealership or siphoning the tank. The dealer wants $1000 to replace the pump and we can't get the siphon hose down the filler neck.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I could be wrong but I see the pump struggling to pull fuel through the broken in tank pump.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:31 PM

I wonder if the fill neck has one of those ***** in it like I had on my 5th gen to prevent siphoning? Does your fill neck attach to the tank with a rubber hose? I'm just thinking you could disconnect that to get your siphon hose in.

Otherwise maybe you could just put a small jack under it (with a small piece of wood in top to keep from gouging the tank) to carry the load while you loosen the straps?

How are you planning to get the fuel out of the tank for the external pump later? Going to drill and tap the bottom, or weld in a sump or something?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:34 PM
1 Year Member

well I don't have access to a concrete floor so I'll be working with a dirt ground and the jack and it just seems like a bad idea to be dealing with a half tank with dirt floor under the jack.

I found a site that sells 'corregated' fuel line for my 300zx project car. its supposed to be able to survive being exposed to gas being inside the gas tank. I was just going to put that fuel line in place of the pump so I keep the stock sending unit assembly.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM

You could always put down a piece of plywood on the dirt to keep it from sinking. It's not like youll be jacking up the weight of the truck, it'll just be the 100 lbs or so of gas tank + gas. I'm just thinking you're going to need to drop the tank anyways to get the old pump out.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM
1 Year Member

which is why I was hoping an inline pump could suck out most of the gas and then I could drop it when its just above E.