Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dual Exhaust Systems

Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Default Dual Exhaust Systems

I have a 2005 Silverado 5.3, and have had aMagnaFlow catback system installed. It is a single muffler, with 2 outlets. It sounds pretty good I think, but although not too loud, I'm getting a little tired of the drone in the cab upon acceleration.

I'm due to get a new truck this fall andwant to keep the "Dual Pipe" look, but I think I want to tone down the noise a little.

Can anyone suggest a system that would give a slightly louder than stock sound, but keep the drone to a minimum. It has been suggested that a "Y" pipe can be installed after the stock muffler, then out to dual outlets, but this set-up apparently doesn't give and even exhaust "smoke" in the winter.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Default RE: Dual Exhaust Systems

[align=center]Hi Bill ~ RevItUpFaster,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would go to the Truck Forum link below[/align][align=center]and search for a member that has a Silverado[/align][align=center]with exhaust mod's & hopefully find a [/align][align=center]member with a sound clip.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Below are some links for Truck Exhaust.[/align][align=center]Good Luck in your Search[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click on link[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.truckforum.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust and Flow Master American ... [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://truck.hownd.com/product-2423-...ed-350-hp.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]p.s Post a pic of your Truck & Thanks 4 your Computer Post : )[/align]

Old 06-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

How about a crossover right before the 2 mufflers?

Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 PM

What do you mean GPD. The stock set-up is a single muffler/single outlet. The Magnaflow is still a single muffler with dual outlets. Where were you thinking a crossover pipe would go????

I did hear that Magnaflow now have a larger diameter single in/dual out, which because of the size has more baffling, and is therefore somewhat quieter. I just don't know how much quieter, and don't want to spend the coin and find out its not a lot different from whats on my truck now.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM

I know it is already a y, but an additional cross over would add more distance that the exhaust would have to travel, thus queting it down.

The pulses of exhausts ramming into each other will also help quiet it down with a most minimal of back pressure.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted, I thought you had a dual system. Oh well, this advise might help someone else.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM

Boy I really like your diagram GPD. Sure wish my truck would co-operate and have the same system. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM

How about putting a small glasspack like a CherryBomb or Thrush-type in line with the Magnaflow?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, putting a resonator or possibly 2 mufflers will quiet it down a little, magnaflows's are generally the quietest, so puting a resonator on it as well will quiet it down more

Old 06-27-2007, 06:54 PM

dude, nice drawing-- i never knew what a crossover did

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Systems