Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Driving in Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Question Driving in Snow?

I have a 2005 Supercharged 3800. I have relocated from the south to the north snow belt. How does my car handle in snow? Any suggestions to manage the snow better such as different rims/tires. I would appreciate suggestions greatly.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

monte carlo's tend to be very good in the snow, just as long as you know your limatations. you dont wanna stomp on the gas after going slow on an incline if there is ANY snow or ice on the road, because you'll loose traction. always accelerate graudally unless the road is dry, and be on the look out for black-ice. black ice is clear and very thin, but its the worst kind of ice, because it is super slippery and usually looks like standing water, or just a patch of pavement. depending on where up north you moved, you might not have to worry as mutch. your best bet is to have a set of good, winter rated tires put on your car, or better yet have the winter tires mounted on a differant set of wheels, so that the salt on the roads does not corrode your "nicer" wheels. also, made sure to clean any slushy or icy buildup from your wheelwells, and try to wash any salt off of the paint and lower aereas of the car to prevent rust.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the 2004 Supercharged 3800. Same as yours, just the year before. I've had it for two winters. Both winters I used all season tires. Different brands each year.

The first year, I had the original Goodyear RS-A tires. Horrible in the winter. Last year I used my all season Toyo Versado LX tires. Not much better. I got stuck in the snow both years. Plus, I would spin the tires like crazy every time I tried to pull away from a stop light or stop sign. Wasn't even gunning it either.

Maybe it's because of the supercharger, but I found out the hard way that all season tires just don't cut it on my supercharged 3800, in the winter.

This winter I'm getting some true snow tires mounted onto some standard steelie rims (sometimes called "winter rims"), and storing my regular rims away for the winter.

I would recommend snow tires on some winter rims. Better traction, and it saves your "good" rims the ravages of winter.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Give your self extra time to get to and from anywhere. Take your time getting up to speed and even more time slowing down. My sugestion with the first good snow take your car to a parking lot and kind of get to know your car, finding the sweet spots where you aren't spining the tires and not locking them up when trying to stop.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

This is the first winter with my Goodyear GTs and according to Tire Rack's testing, they are supposed to perform well in the snow - I will have to wait and see. I did own a 2000 Pontiac GTP and I don't remember ever getting stuck anywhere.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I live on gravel. One day we had bowling and I had 3 inches of snow. Needless to say rolling momentum and 45+ mph on the snow, I drifted over it, and through all drifts. Its a great car for it.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Like the other members have pointed out, FWD cars are generally awesome in the snow, but because you have a FWD car with 280 lbs of torque, it's going to be VERY easy to to spin those tires. Best thing you can do is just get some good traction winter tires, and take it easy in the snow.

Luckily for the driver, the Monte Carlo comes with traction control and ABS brakes, and a decent handling system.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

If you can afford it get the snow tires. they are THAT much better than all seasons, and the stock tires are crap in snow. I have Goodyear ultra grip tires. HUGE difference!
I'll take my tail dragging Monte Carlo any day over ANY SUV, any day. I've only been stuck once, and that was stupidity. I thought "I can make it thru that drift" NOT!
Problem with the SUVs is the way to high center of gravity. I've seen more large SUVs roll in the winter than I care to remember, nor could count. Yes they will go thru drifts, but soccer mom's don't know how to control them, and they have a false sense of security. To me it boils down to this:
Do I want to stop a 8,000 lb SUV with a 3-4 ft high center of gravity, or do I want to stop a 3,400 car with a 2 ft C.O.G.? All other things equal (anti lock brakes, traction control, 4 wh disk brakes, quality tires, etc.)
I'll take my tail draggin' fwd Monte Carlo N - E - DAY! I've been there, done that!
Get some winter tires and be careful.