Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Drivers Beware: 7 Problems That Can Leave You Stranded

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Drivers Beware: 7 Problems That Can Leave You Stranded

Drivers Beware: 7 Problems That Can Leave You Stranded

MCF Member's, add your addition to Problems you believe can leave you Stranded...Has any of the below happened to you ?

Things to consider during your Spring detailing of your Monte + Safety Checks.

By Consumers

1. Dead battery

This is often the culprit when your engine won't start. All batteries weaken over time. In addition, infrequent use, a lot of short trips, or multiple accessories being used when the headlights are on can leave the battery undercharged. If you forget to turn off a light or you listen to the radio with the engine off, the battery could be too weak to start the engine when you need it.

How to prevent it:
Although the effect of a drained battery often shows up on cold mornings, it's the high temperatures of summer that usually do the most damage. So a battery can go at any time. That's why you should have the battery and alternator tested as part of an annual safety inspection.

2. Flat tire or blowout

Flats and blowouts can be caused by a road hazard, a tire defect, or lack of care. At best they interrupt your trip and force you to change the tire or call for assistance; at worst they can cause you to lose control of the vehicle. If you experience either, take a firm grip on the wheel and gently guide the car off the road as soon as possible.

How to prevent it:
Many tire problems result from underinflated tires that overheat. Keep all tires, even the spare, properly inflated to the automaker's recommended pressure by checking them at least monthly. And pay attention to warnings from the car's tirepressure monitoring system, if there is one. Also inspect the tire sidewalls for bulges or cracks. If you see such warning signs, replace the tire immediately. Replacing all four tires at a time is best, and it's a must on all-wheeldrive vehicles.

3. Fluid leak

An undetected leak in a critical system can be devastating, possibly resulting in a blown engine or transmission or even brake failure.

How to prevent it:
Check the car's fluid levels regularly; refer to your owner's manual. Also look for leaks on the pavement where you park. Black drips are oil; green, orange, or yellow are coolant; and brown or reddish oily drips can be transmission or brake fluid. Any of those can spell trouble. Have a mechanic inspect the car if you spot any fresh leaks.

4. Worn-out wipers or no fluid

Many accidents are a result of poor visibility. Often you don't realize your wipers are shot or the washer tank is empty until your visibility is limited, such as in a heavy rain or snowstorm or in the glaring sun with a dirty windshield. And a torn wiper blade can allow the wiper arm to rub against the glass, possibly ruining the windshield.

How to prevent it:
In our tests, we've found that wipers usually degrade in performance after only six months. Get new ones at least twice a year; the Valeo 600 Series, RainX Latitude, Anco 32 Series, and Michelin RainForce top our Ratings. Keep the windshield-washer reservoir full. Pack spare wiper blades and a gallon of nonfreezing washer fluid in the trunk.

5. Blown fuse

When a fuse goes, it can disable a critical electrical system, such as the headlights, defroster, or antilock brake system, any of which could lead to an accident.

What to do:
You can't prevent an electrical problem, but a blown fuse should be the first thing you check if your car experiences one. Carry a selection of spare fuses and a fuse puller in the car; fuse kits (about $5 to $20) are available at auto parts stores. Check your owner's manual for the correct type and amp ratings, and for how to replace them. Never replace a fuse with one of a higher amp rating. If the same fuse blows repeatedly, have a mechanic inspect the system.

6. Broken drive belt

It can disable the car's water pump or alternator, leading to battery failure or engine overheating. And when it comes to maintenance, belts are easy to forget.

How to prevent it:
Periodically check the belts under the hood visually and by feeling them. If any one has cracks or the rubber is fraying or feels brittle, it should be replaced. If there's a lot of slack in the belt, the underside is shiny, or you hear squealing while driving, it should be adjusted or repaired. Most drive belts should be replaced after about 60,000 miles; see your owner's manual.

7. Locked out

We've all done this. At best, it's a minor annoyance; at worst, it's a serious problem when you're in an unsafe environment.

How to prevent it:
Keep a spare door key handy. Some carmakers provide a valet key or a plastic key for emergency use. If it won't fit in a purse or wallet, consider putting it in a magnetic box ($5 to $10) and hiding it beneath the car or behind the license plate. Often a dealer can cut a door key for much less than what a locksmith would charge if you provide the car's vehicle identification number and registration. Telematics services, such as GM's OnStar, can unlock a car remotely.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good tips, and a few things that you should be checking frequently.

Every weekend I check my fluids, belts, and tire pressure. ESPECIALLY around weather changes.

Also with wiper blades I will always recommend the Bosch Icon set... I usually get a good 3 years out of them

Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM

also is a good tip is having a spare jug of coolent trans oil and engine oil in the trunk also a spare belt. just incase you need a quart or just to top off coolent. also if a belt breaks in the midle on no where wich happend to me having a spare belt and some minor tools in the back came in handy. it got me to where i was going wich was home the next day found out the reason why the belt broke it was the altinator. man i love agm batteries like the optima it lastid me 12 miles with the head lights on and the interior fan on as well. yes it is a optima and i still have it 8 years old and still going.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
5. Blown fuse

When a fuse goes, it can disable a critical electrical system, such as the headlights, defroster, or antilock brake system, any of which could lead to an accident.

What to do:
You can't prevent an electrical problem, but a blown fuse should be the first thing you check if your car experiences one. Carry a selection of spare fuses and a fuse puller in the car; fuse kits (about $5 to $20) are available at auto parts stores. Check your owner's manual for the correct type...
I do the same with light bulbs. Carry an extra pack of each in all my vehicles, except the high beam. Figure lows will get me where I need to get to.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I find that my belt has a hairline crack or 2 in it and I swap it out. Instead of buying 2 so my trunk has a spare I will use the cracked one as a spare. This way if the one snaps, I still have my old one to throw on (granted it's not in tooo bad of shape) it's a good just in case, but doesn't cost you the price of another new one.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

awesome stuff 'Space, thanks!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a case of beer at all times in the trunk, never know when you might get thirsty and a case can go a long way when in need of a helping hand figured I would just throw that out there for fun! I carry a can of fix-a-flat and have a mini compressor but that is pretty much all I have, besides a flashlight....

also, everyone these days has a cell phone so besides that I have triple a and always have a credit card incase I have to buy the above mentioned case of beer

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM

lol, good thread. i always though about putting one of those wine refigerators, in the cupholder area of the back seat. just in case. just fold down and enjoy.

caution ;;; put a spare battery in the trunk for this setup, or the list will get you.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM

I drove from Bowling Green, Oh to Clearwater Fl in a early 70's Honda Civic that had bad tires, numerous fluid leaks, and no wipers whatsoever. The wiper arms were completely ripped off by vandals prior to the trip. This was back in 1983 when I was much less concerned about my, or anyone else's safety. It was my roommate's car. He sold it to a scrapyard after graduation. I think they gave him $50. My other roommate had a Pinto (yes, a Pinto), the passenger door of which was held shut by a rope tied around the inside pull handle and the bottom of the seat. (Latch didn't work.) Mobility took precedence over safety. I don't believe either of these vehicles had electronic stability control or side impact airbags.

Last edited by JaxJim; 03-23-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks for that info.