Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's do you like the Camaro Convertible ?
I like it : )
46.15%
I don't like it : (
7.69%
I'd rather have a Camaro Coupe S.S.
30.77%
I'd rather keep my Monte & use the $'s 4 Mod's & Fun : )
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Driven: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Driven: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible

REVIEWS: Driven: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible

June 16, 2011
By Joe Lorio
Photography by Joe Lorio

After being delayed for a while because of GM's whole bankruptcy/bailout thing, the Camaro convertible is finally here, completing the reborn Camaro lineup.

A convertible had been planned for the Camaro from the beginning, so the car was engineered for a topless existence. Still, the convertible does require extra bracing, including a large strut tower brace under the hood. Chevrolet engineers boast that the car is so structurally stiff that they did not have to soften the suspension for the convertible version, as is often done for convertibles. But maybe they should have.

The firm-riding Camaro SS convertible I just spent a week with exhibited plenty of body jiggle over patchy pavement. And despite the Camaro's independent rear suspension, this car can hop sideways when it encounters a bump mid-corner. The steering, though, is nicely accurate and has natural effort levels. The deep-dished wheel has a strangely shaped rim that's not terribly comfortable to hold, but I did love the design and function of the audio system controls on the spokes.

The big, 6.2-liter OHV V-8 in the Camaro SS isn't exactly quick-revving, but it ultimately makes so much brutish power (426 hp, with the manual transmission) that it gets the job done. Its deep exhaust rumble can be somewhat droning on the highway but you've gotta love the crackle and pop when you lift off the throttle. I only encountered the six-speed manual's obnoxious 1st-to-4th skip-shift once during my entire time with the car, which is a lot less than in the Camaro SS coupe I drove a few months ago -- maybe I was booting the accelerator more aggressively with this car (the skip-shift only asserts itself during gentle acceleration). In other respects, I was less pleased with the stick shift this time, as the clutch seemed heavy and shift action less fluid.

Chevrolet designers were able to get the convertible's soft top to very nearly match the profile of coupe's rakish roofline, which means that the convertible is every bit as handsome as its hardtop sibling. This is a car that gets a lot of attention and a lot of compliments. But as in the Camaro coupe, the good looks come at a price. With the top up, the convertible suffers the same claustrophobia and tough outward visibility through its slit-like windows as does the coupe. And even with the top down, the high beltline and steeply raked windshield diminish somewhat the open-air feeling....next page >>

<HR style="CLEAR: both" id=ctl00_ctl13_ctl00_hrOne class=clr_right>

Page123Next

Old 06-18-2011, 07:09 AM

$37, 500 for a base Model S.S. Convertible...
Sure is way out of my price range 4-Sure...
I'm glad they are still making them, but to me it's a very
Expensive BANG 4 your $'s

Old 06-18-2011, 11:32 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I like the look of it. Top down or up. I think it looks better than the Mustang vert.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i am not much of a convertible guy...i think i would rather have the coupe but the convertible does look pretty good

Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your posts.
If I could save enough money to get a Camaro S.S. Convertible, I would wait & save more for a 2012
ZL1 instead "2 dare 2 `Dream in SpaceVision"

Below is a shot vid of the new Convertible
2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible Silver & Black
YouTube - ‪www.MOTRface.com 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible Silver & Black‬‏

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but,
My Camaro Dream would be the one Below
2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 debuts
YouTube - ‪2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 debuts‬‏

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've actually seen one of these in person when I got my Monte fixed last week. It looks really cool in person. Dealership told me that the only downside is the lack of visibility when the top is up. There's huge blind spots with the top up. My solution is to make sure you always drive with the top down.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've actually seen one of these in person when I got my Monte fixed last week. It looks really cool in person. Dealership told me that the only downside is the lack of visibility when the top is up. There's huge blind spots with the top up. My solution is to make sure you always drive with the top down.

I really like the convertible camaro. Looks much better than the `stang in my opinion.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM

Well I drove one with the 6 speed manual. Unbelievable, wow.

Attached Thumbnails Driven: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible-me-2011-camaro.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

ya know i didn't like it at first with the top up but it's growing on me the more & more i see it. i loveee them with the top down though. wish my mom would trade in the eclipse for a synergy convert but my dad doesn't want another payment

Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Not crazy about it. Prefer the coupe.

Quick Reply: Driven: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible