Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Car Shows

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car Shows

Not sure if anyone remembers a thread I posted just last month about a car show I attended and the fiasco with the trophy they gave me.

Well this past saturday a Church held their car show. They've hosted this show for at least 13 years and I've attended all but one of their shows. It rained this one year and even though the day of the event was bright and sunny they cancelled and held it the following saturday. I was at the Church on the day of the show (only to find out it was cancelled) but the following saturday I had plans to attend another show so I did not make it back to the Church that year.

But as I was saying they had their show this past saturday and my g/f Debbie wanted to take her '03 Pace car which was fine, so we did take it.

Got to the show, cleaned the car, everything was fine as well as the weather. All in all it was a great day.

At about 4pm they announced they were giving out awards. The very first number they called was 387. Debbie's number. I was standing at the front of her car, she was at the back of the car. We both heard they call out number 387. She took her windshield plaqard with her and went to get her award.

So she comes back to the car. We were both happy. Not a minute later they announce over the PA, "The woman who just got the award please bring it back up." I'm like WHAT THE???????

Before she even has a chance to get back up to the announcer they twisted this in to it all being her fault. That they had called out 378. NOT 387 for the award. And that she had thought it was her number they called out.

WE BOTH HEARD THEM CALL NUMBER 387 for the award.

After this I have half a mind if I do attend their show next year they will not judge my car.

It's not the fact she didn't get an award. If that's the case she can have one of mine. But the embarressment of having to walk back up there and hand them back their $4 trophy. A lot of people know who I am were standing in the audience.

I told her we were leaving as I didn't care if they gave her car an award by this time or not. They could keep it as this really pisses me off.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
Default RE: Car Shows

REALLY sorry to hear about your bad episode at the show. I can't believe they made her give the trophy back! Mistake or not, that's just WRONG! Even at a Church show? SORRY! I'd be pissed too! I think I would have left, also, and wouldn't go back.
Sounds like a good reason to go to meets that don't have trophies!
Have we seen pics of her pace car?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about that RJ. Obviously the announcer transposed the numbers while reading them out, and then they tried to cover up their mistake as your mistake.

I think that church should consider going to a non-trophy format.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I'm having a tough time getting past the embarressement this caused Debbie.

To the point I'm ready to boycott judged shows. Or if I attend let them know I am not interested in having my car judged. So no mistake can be made should I happen to place.

Wayne,
If you look in my photos there are a couple pictures of Debbie's '03 Pace car.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:52 AM
rj
15 Year Member

On thisrecent car show......................

I went to a local cruise last evening. A friend who was also at the Church show was at the cruise-in as well. He came up to me and handed me TWO awards they gave to Debbie's car. :shock:

First, it's strange cause one of the things the Church stressed at the beginning of awards was they made it a point NOT to give any one car more then one award. So more people/cars were able to get one.

I can't recall what my friend said they were for but one he said was for 1 of the top 50 cars/trucks that attended. Since the people that attended judged as well I think he said the other award was a participant judging award.

So it looks like I need to apologize to this Church and anyone involved. Still, I feel they gave Debbie's Pace car Monte two awards cause they knew they screwed up.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Probably.

Glad to hear she got something out of it. A couple awards that she can proudly show off at home and at future shows.

I still wouldn't want to be included in the judging next time, though. Just go to the shows and enjoy. Less stress and hard feelings.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM

"the key to sucess is knowin who to blame for your screw ups"
as i see this all the time at work.
i hate people like that it ruins my entire week because if some one is that stupid to even screw up in the first place and not have the ***** to admit it, then is their purpose. all they did was ruin a couple peoples day.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Coming home thursday night and finding the two awards has made Deb's weekend for her. She deserves it.

Maybe we should have taken her Pace car to the car show today? (said jokingly)

Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Congratulations Deb!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:13 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member